• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Almost shot but didn't....

Verd

Campaign Veteran
am I the only one that thinks letting them know you are home and armed is a bad idea? Sure deterring crime is great, but the crime has commenced and if this guy is dedicated to entering your home now he knows your battle plan and can continue accordingly ie. pulling his gun out, going for cover after he is in, laying low, or straight up shooting in to the windows before he comes in.

No. I wouldnt tell them anything, the law does not require you to announce yourself nor your means for self-defense. If someone is messing with my door locks and windows, they are getting shot simple as that.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
No. I wouldnt tell them anything, the law does not require you to announce yourself nor your means for self-defense. If someone is messing with my door locks and windows, they are getting shot simple as that.

Hey if you scare them off they'll just come back again later. Maybe when it's just your wife home alone and you're not there... better to just deal with it then.

n132630_deal_with_it_dog_RE_Picture_Challenge_2_v2_0-s348x232-174667.jpg

bkajun06

Hello everyone, thanks for posting, I understand now what I did wrong in going about this.

Was very jittery when I wrote this and would like to make myself clear on a few things that I didn't thoroughly explain, so I edited the post and it's not there anymore, because I see how anti gun people could view it like a poster said in here.

Clarifying:
I have a backdoor to my deck, and below that is where my basement is, I have a basement door also. They were right beside it when I came out and it looked like they were breaking into my basement door. I would have called the police like some of you mentioned, but I had something similar happen a few weeks ago where I did call the police, and the noise I heard downstairs ended up to be a box falling and the thing I heard outside hitting my basement door was a branch that had fallen off my tree. That's part of the reason why I went outside in the first place was because I had an overview of my basement door and was seeing if I was just hearing things again.

Only reason why I posted this was because people told me that I would have been in the right, and if they were in my shoes, they would have shot them both. I don't agree with that, mainly because they didn't pose a threat and they did come out surrendering. Just wanted to see the laws concerning what happened to me that's all.

JDW

Hello everyone, thanks for posting, I understand now what I did wrong in going about this.

Was very jittery when I wrote this and would like to make myself clear on a few things that I didn't thoroughly explain, so I edited the post and it's not there anymore, because I see how anti gun people could view it like a poster said in here.

Clarifying:
I have a backdoor to my deck, and below that is where my basement is, I have a basement door also. They were right beside it when I came out and it looked like they were breaking into my basement door. I would have called the police like some of you mentioned, but I had something similar happen a few weeks ago where I did call the police, and the noise I heard downstairs ended up to be a box falling and the thing I heard outside hitting my basement door was a branch that had fallen off my tree. That's part of the reason why I went outside in the first place was because I had an overview of my basement door and was seeing if I was just hearing things again.

Only reason why I posted this was because people told me that I would have been in the right, and if they were in my shoes, they would have shot them both. I don't agree with that, mainly because they didn't pose a threat and they did come out surrendering. Just wanted to see the laws concerning what happened to me that's all.

You did fine . Don't let some opinions here get you down . Who doesn't investigate strange noises outside .... a coward thats who . ( you don't mention the time of day this happened ) A lot of talk here about the law , My law states YOU have no business in MY bushes any time of day ! Carry on You are a Great American .

JDW

You "legitly thought" they were breaking into your house - so you went outside?

Ugh, please remove this thread, I feel that you make gun owners look bad. I'm sure some anti is going to pull this up on google and show their friends, "SEE SEE!!!! LOOK HOW TRIGGER HAPPY THOSE NRA FOLKS ARE!!!"

EDIT: I'm not saying you're stupid or YOU make us look bad, but I feel this thread does.

Thanks for replying with his quote so I could read the O.P. ....after he did follow your advice and delete his post ? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot , over ?

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Entirely too much BS in this thread!

1. Nothing wrong or right about investigating noises outside, it is a personal choice, nothing cowardly or brave about either decision, lots of mitigating factors involved that would differ by person and situation.

2. Gun drawn upon leaving house, not too sure I am a fan, I could go either way here, again circumstances change opinions fast.

3. They ran, ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Pursuit afterwards, shooting etc, doing anything BUT holstering the weapon was a serious mistake.

4. At no point in the information I read was deadly force justified and the ONLY criminal action the OP could PROVE is that someone MIGHT be trespassing on his property, you may not shoot at or even threaten to shoot trespassers.

5. Again every situation differs, but in one way they all remain the same, it is a POTENTIAL armed encounter and the only win is when everyone lives, it happened that way this time. Those so eager to run outside and confront, especially those whom imply a lack of bravery prevents such things, you are only showing a misunderstanding of the tactical advantages one most likely has within the home. Remember, no one dies is a win, if you do not die it is a damn good second place. Stepping out into the yard, you are entering the unknown, you may be outnumbered, it might be the very goal set up as a trap, since it is highly unlikely you are going to jump out a window, if I am stalking you, guess where my firearm is aimed... that's right, center of your door.

What would LMTD do or has he done in the past:

1. fire up the lights outside, make it well known you are now alert to the situation at hand.

2. call the cops, preferred that this is done in hearing distance IE open a window to let sound out and speak clearly so they know the cops are coming.

3. Grab the 12ga pump and rack one in real hard so the noise is clear and concise, it is a known huge deterrent.

4. If possible, gain an elevated position with good concealment to observe and await police arrival.

I sure do not want to live with shooting another if I do not have to, I am not going to raise those odds anytime I can lower them. I also am not going to be running around outside with a pistol in my hand knowing the police may be coming or already chasing someone. An unknown disturbance is just that, unknown and entering into it armed is not the best tactic. Lighting it up and learning what you are dealing with while seeking assistance IMHO is a much better choice.

kylemoul

ill share an incident that i had that turned out to be something that was not what it seemed.

my girlfriend was hanging out with her neighbor and the neighbor has a person over. later in the evening midnight-ish (at this point i was sleeping for about 30 minutes), the person that was at the neighbors house (not my girlfriend) was told to leave and she would not do so. after attempts from the neighbor/homeowner asking her to leave she would not and my girlfriend asked her to leave...everything is civil at this point. she still is not leaving. the situation elevated (my opinion the lady who will not leave is trespassing).

yelling came about and push come to shove.
she finally got in her vehicle and backed into the street. now she stops and all 3 women start arguing and a fight started. at this point i was awaken and looked outside. what i then saw was a lady driving her suv into a front yard of a house across the street and my girlfriend was about 10 ft in front of the vehicle.

my interpretation was this woman is trying to run my girlfriend over. at this point i firmly believe this is a threat against me and my family. i grabbed my firearm in the holster adn attached it to my pants and ran out.

i yelled at my girlfried to get the F over here (i was standing in her yard) and when she did not respond in a timely manner, i grabbed her and pushed her onto her property, thus getting her out of the immediate danger. i did not draw but was very ready to if that person used her vehicle as a weapon (blatantly)

now the next day i found out the lady in question did exchange words with my girlfrind and the neighbor in the street while she was in her vehicle (possibly trying to leave). and the lady in question was getting punched through her window by either my girlfriend or neighbor, maybe both and her driving onto a yard of another house was her attempt to leave.

as you can see how different things can seem and your actions need to be thought out, but in a quick way.

now i know there should of been 100 actions taken by neighbor/girlfriend do diffuse this situation earlier, but that is not in my control. be safe and your last option is to draw on somebody.

bkajun06

You did fine . Don't let some opinions here get you down . Who doesn't investigate strange noises outside .... a coward thats who . ( you don't mention the time of day this happened ) A lot of talk here about the law , My law states YOU have no business in MY bushes any time of day ! Carry on You are a Great American .

Oh wow, I didn't, It was about 2:30 AM. And Thanks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oh wow, I didn't, It was about 2:30 AM. And Thanks.

Hope you did not take any personal offense at any of this. We do tend to hash out "events" and share our insights, thoughts and interpretation of the applicable laws. The intent is to benefit everyone and make us better informed, wiser and stronger.