• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What ever happened to constitutional carry?

Captain Nemo

When SB93 first hit the street it was directed toward constitutional carry. For reasons that are still not perfectly clear it was morphed into a hybred law. Part shall issue and part constitutional carry. One part that general public carry will uthorized by shall issue privilege and second that carry on one's property, in the home and in owned business to be constitutionally protected.

A few influential external forces convinced the legislature to make that modification. Make it based on statements such as "We want to put something up for vote that is certain to pass" "We'll change it later" and of course influenced by Governor Walkers public message that he would be reluctant to sign any carry bill that did not have training requirements. The authors of what was to become Act 35, Senator Galloway and Representative Mursau attempted to placate us to this mutiny by pledging that they will introduce pure constitutional carry during the next legislative session.

What bothers me most by those events is that I have an uneasy feeling that the mood of this forum has mellowed to a ambivalent conduct. Something like "Well we didn't get constitutional carry but we did get a darn good shall issue law. It only has minimal training requirements and it only costs fifty bucks for the permit. It's probably the best we can expect". Even MCX is no longer saying "No stinkin' permits".

I know there are still some staunch supporters of constitutional carry on the forum that are presently concentrating on getting the "wrinkles" out of Act35 but I detect a softening toward constitutional carry even from them. We can not give up our pursuit for constitutional carry. We can not let the tyranny of the state legislature turn our constitutional right into a state controlled privilege. We must insist on making Act 35 totally constitutional so that we don't have to live with a hybred law that makes us need to determine when and under what conditions we are state privileged or constitutionally protected to carry a firearm for personal protection. Nothing demonstrates that more clearly than my personal situation. I live in a rural area. My mailbox is across the road. I can lawfully carry a concealed firearm all over my 75 acre farm but the second I step on the road to cross it to check for mail I must have a state licensed privilege to do so. How stupid is that? Even if I have no concern for the GFSZ, reciprocity or vehicle carry I legally need a CC permit to carry a concealed weapon to cross the road to check my mail. I suppose what I could do is put on an empty holster then carry concealed while on my land and then when I want to check themail take the firearm out and place it in the holster. When i return to my side of the road take the firearm out of the visible holster and conceal it again. That's a thought, NOT.

When it gets near time for the next annual session of the legislature we must put unrelenting pressure on the authors and sponsors of Act 35 to live up to their pledge.

End of my rant.

Last edited:

AaronS

I agree with you. We need to keep the fire on high. We might not have gotten what we want, but we can still get it. It is just going to take more time.
I am happy to see ANY CCW law pass in Wisconsin, but we are not done yet. We can make it a lot better.

For the record, the author is/was on our side on this. She did her best, but had to change the bill to make sure it did pass. I guess the thinking was that it is a good start. First time in 150 years that we have any CCW. Now we need to stay on this to correct the law. I just hope it won't take 150 more years!

M

McX

Even MCX is no longer saying "No stinkin' permits".

Touche' there guy, you got me on that one.

HandyHamlet

Nothing happened.

We are re-circling the wagons. Watching the predicted/inevitable clusterf%ck play itself out.

Thank you DOJ.

Can't prove there is no blood running in the streets when it's not even Nov 1 yet. Nov 1 of 2016, 'cause at the rate the DOJ is moving that's how long it will take to get a permit.

:uhoh:

M

McX

i confess; i sold out to the man for a promice of cheeseburgers for life, and 600 billion,billion obama dollars- or roughly 68 cents.

protias

I know most of us still want Constitutional Carry, but I'm sure most of us are focusing more at what is in front of us and the DOJ trying to screw us, many municipalities making illegal/unenforceable ordinances, Castle Doctrine, and trying to get Preemption stronger so municipalities cannot ban firearms in the buildings.

I, of course, cannot speak for everyone, but it just the feeling I'm getting from everyone.

protias

Nothing happened.

We are re-circling the wagons. Watching the predicted/inevitable clusterf%ck play itself out.

Thank you DOJ.

Can't prove there is no blood running in the streets when it's not even Nov 1 yet. Nov 1 of 2016, 'cause at the rate the DOJ is moving that's how long it will take to get a permit.

:uhoh:

Nov 1-30, they have 45 days to issue and after Dec 1, they have 21 days. I'm sure the NRA would be all over them if the DOJ does not follow through. Speaking of the NRA, I'll wait to see what happens before I start contributing to them.

M

McX

Nov 1-30, they have 45 days to issue and after Dec 1, they have 21 days. I'm sure the NRA would be all over them if the DOJ does not follow through. Speaking of the NRA, I'll wait to see what happens before I start contributing to them.

agreed
(sent from the Lincoln Bedroom- The White House)

i would comment further, but the secret service guy said my steak is burning on the grille in the Rose Garden.

ok, i'm back.....just a minute- secret service guy, where's the beer around here? *burp*, so anyway, i never sold out nothing. man the toilet paper is realy nice here. tonight i'm going bowling in the basement!

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

protias
I know most of us still want Constitutional Carry, but I'm sure most of us are focusing more at what is in front of us and the DOJ trying to screw us, many municipalities making illegal/unenforceable ordinances, Castle Doctrine, and trying to get Preemption stronger so municipalities cannot ban firearms in the buildings.

I, of course, cannot speak for everyone, but it just the feeling I'm getting from everyone.

This....^^^^^^^^^

As I have said in other posts, I am a true Consitutional Carry Supporter and as such, will continue to open carry after Nov. 1 or permit time or when ever.... Also stated in here and during recent a telephone conversation with my Rep. Ms. Kerkman.... Consitutional Carry will be a futue battle I will most certainly involved in...

Snip...

Nov 1-30, they have 45 days to issue and after Dec 1, they have 21 days. I'm sure the NRA would be all over them if the DOJ does not follow through.

I am starting to wonder IF the DOJ will even have the applications ready by Nov. 1 If they are not follwing the letter of the law on traning requierments, etc., why would the follow the law on application availability deadlines....
And as far as the NRA being "all over them".... Well Van Hollens public reaction to their letter ("They Should Be Thankfull") speaks volumes to his reaction to anyting the NRA has to say....

It is not looking good...

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

What happened to Constitutional Carry? Simple, money talks and there is money to be made in the gun control business. Gun control is just control, guns have little to do with it.

Try this, who has the money to influence gun legislation? Who has been outspoken and active for Constitutional Carry? Only democrat legislators give a crap about what their people think and say. Republicans are elected to exercise their principles, political, economic and legislative.

M

McX

What happened to Constitutional Carry? Simple, money talks and there is money to be made in the gun control business. Gun control is just control, guns have little to do with it.

Try this, who has the money to influence gun legislation? Who has been outspoken and active for Constitutional Carry? Only democrat legislators give a crap about what their people think and say. Republicans are elected to exercise their principles, political, economic and legislative.

seems like everyone knows what's going on. say, i found this fancy office while i was wandering around here, no one's here, i think they left for the weekend. anyway, there's this briefcase on the desk here, and a red phone, instructions on the cards in the case say; pick up phone, when it is answered, read codes aloud into phone to launch. must be for pizza delivery..........i'll let ya know in a bit.

hey, voice on the phone says select targets, where you guys at, i'll have them send you some pizzas too!

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Captain, please be assured that I for one am not settling. I have been busy trying to fight the good fight doing what I can to stop local municipalities from further infringing on our rights. Also, the elected officials I have talked to have said they aren't willing to do anything until after Act 35 takes full effect. Once the dust settles, I will definitely start working for Constitutional Carry.

Interceptor_Knight

Ignorance, Prejudice and phobia by our Republican Representatives and our Governor is why we are here. It is offensive that they somehow believe a WI resident is less responsible, less able to show restraint and less competent than residents of so many other States which require no training or even minimal training with a negligible incident rate.
The reality is that they have no faith in their own abilities to carry a holstered firearm safely and this lack of self-faith is projected on to each and every one of us.

oak1971

I have not given up. I may not even get a permit out of principle. Especially after this latest round of BS. I have enough training documentation to pass whatever they come up with, but this whole thing is ticking me off to no end. I've got your stinking permit right here! :cuss::banghead:

M

McX

everybody is right here, and everybody is p.o.'d. both sides of the isle couldnt wait to regulate us, and most importantly to draw revenue off of us. come nov. they will get a taste of the money, and from there it will be an uphill battle to break them of it. we all are prepared to fight, and so we shall. first we need to get past nov. get their steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenkin permits, then crank up the heat to demand they step aside, and let us be free men. talking to them or of it before then is a waste of breath, they are on their track now, and we have plenty to do with what they are trying to feed us. let's concentrate on the matters at hand, and instead of debating, plan our next move. we have some of the best and brightest on our side, and in our group(s).

*final attempt at humor; some Chinese guy called, all mad, i think he said his pizza was delivered cold, i'm not sure, the line went dead at his end.

added on eit; Glock, a buddy of mine sent this to me, and i thought of you immediately:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EbeqPynF2s

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
We are moving toward Constitutional carry, as expected. Good progress in WI.

We have Constitutional carry in Arizona. The incremental approach worked. We did not have as good as a state constitutional protection as Wisconsin to start with. We had a much more restrictive permit law to start with. There was a much more intrenched trainer/permit infrastructure to overcome. We have a more liberal State Supreme Court. We still got Constitutional carry.

Wisconsin has put into effect a progression of events that well continue to Constitutional carry. It will take a lot of work. It will take activism and organization. It will happen.

If Wisconsin had not enacted one of the absolute best Shall Issue laws in the entire nation, it would still be mired in a futile effort to go from no issue to Constitutional carry all at once. It is simply was too big a bite to swallow all at once, even though it came incredibly close. Incrementalism works. We did not dig ourselves this deep into this hole in one day or one decade. It will take time and effort to dig ourselves out. We are winning.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran

Remember those are working days, not concurrent days..

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
everybody is right here, and everybody is p.o.'d. both sides of the isle couldnt wait to regulate us, and most importantly to draw revenue off of us. come nov. they will get a taste of the money, and from there it will be an uphill battle to break them of it. we all are prepared to fight, and so we shall. first we need to get past nov. get their steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenkin permits, then crank up the heat to demand they step aside, and let us be free men. talking to them or of it before then is a waste of breath, they are on their track now, and we have plenty to do with what they are trying to feed us. let's concentrate on the matters at hand, and instead of debating, plan our next move. we have some of the best and brightest on our side, and in our group(s).

*final attempt at humor; some Chinese guy called, all mad, i think he said his pizza was delivered cold, i'm not sure, the line went dead at his end.

added on eit; Glock, a buddy of mine sent this to me, and i thought of you immediately:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EbeqPynF2s

That was funny !!