Thread: Outdoor target practice laws

Question Outdoor target practice laws

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew the laws regarding firing a handgun on your own land and knew where I could look up the laws. I have a friend who has neighbors on either side, relatively close, but a great deal of woods, which are unowned, directly the rear of his property. I was wondering if it is legal to do some target practice into those woods? Thanks.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Check the zoning laws for that area. It varies.

Quote Originally Posted by amtilton17 View Post
    Hey guys,

... but a great deal of woods, which are unowned, ....
    Free land???

Quote Originally Posted by coondog22554 View Post
    Free land???
    I NOTICED THAT TOO. Believe me somebody owns that land possibly even a local state or fed gov. It is I repeat it is not your new private park. Every year we have this problem with our huntclub properties.

Now as to shooting if you stay on your property and build a back stop and your local ordinaces do not prohibit disharge of a firearm in your type of zoning then you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by coondog22554 View Post
    Free land???
    Ha ha, yeah, that's what I noticed... has to belong to either somebody or the government!

Check to see if the jurisdiction has an on-line GIS system, that may provide the answer to who owns it.

TFred

Check Muni-Code here: http://www.municode.com/resources/online%20Library.asp

You should be able to find the city/county rules fairly easily.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    ----snip---- directly the rear of his property. I was wondering if it is legal to do some target practice into those woods? Thanks.
    All other considerations aside, this would seriously violate one of the basic rules of gun safety - Know your backstop - what is beyond your target?
    http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp!

"Shooting into the woods" would disregard the potential unintended consequences of such action. Is there a hiker there for example. Each of us are responsible for where our shots go - modern ammunition can travel a great distance with destructive results. A safe backstop guarantees that no one will get hurt.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew the laws regarding firing a handgun on your own land and knew where I could look up the laws. I have a friend who has neighbors on either side, relatively close, but a great deal of woods, which are unowned, directly the rear of his property. I was wondering if it is legal to do some target practice into those woods? Thanks.
    IANAL, but from my understanding if you can garuntee that no bullets cross into someone elses property, you're ok. That means have a really good backstop and don't aim high. Recomend not shooting towards housing should go without saying.

Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    IANAL, but from my understanding if you can garuntee that no bullets cross into someone elses property, you're ok. That means have a really good backstop and don't aim high. Recomend not shooting towards housing should go without saying.

Sent using tapatalk
    It's ^^ a trap!

Some counties have laws on the books restricting discharge of firearms regardless of "garunteeing" no bullets cross property lines and all the other safety things you might think of. That's why I referred the OP to MuniLaw. We still don't know where he's from, but are probably all presuming it's somewhere in Virginia. As it could just as easily be deepest darkest NOVA as it could be Far Southwest, giving out general pronouncements carries some danger. Better the OP does his due dilligence and confirms things.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit