• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No weapons at Waffle House, Tucson

Gumby71

Went to the Waffle House on Grant and I-10, in Tucson, and was told that if I was not LE than I was not allowed to have a weapon. I didn't feel like arguing, so I left and got breakfast elsewhere. I've been OC'ing for the last month here in AZ and this is the first negative experience.

azcdlfred

Went to the Waffle House on Grant and I-10, in Tucson, and was told that if I was not LE than I was not allowed to have a weapon. I didn't feel like arguing, so I left and got breakfast elsewhere. I've been OC'ing for the last month here in AZ and this is the first negative experience.
Stop by the AzCDL table at this weekend's gun show at the Tucson Fairgrounds.

Pick up some of the "No guns = No Money" business cards to hand to business that have that "we don't serve your kind here" Jim Crow attitude.

Fred

Gumby71

I will be in Albuquerque this weekend. Is there another way of getting a hold of those cards?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
For those not aware, Waffle House has been "No Guns" for almost ever. They usually post a yellow tin sign with raised black lettering somewhere way up high and on a side wall where nobody would even bother looking for it. At least that's what I was told by a WH manager at a place where I sat down, then walked out before they even brought my cup of coffee. Manager wanted to know why I walked, but was observant enough to notice I had left $5 at my place that would have covered ther coffee and tip. (I walked because the place was filthy. He agreed but gave excuses. I've never been back there.)

And for almost as long as I've been patronizing Waffle Houses it seems the waitstaff and cooks do not care (or possibly even know) that there might be a sign somewhere. Most of them have heard the folk stories and true tales of OCers preventing robberies. And they say most OCers tip better than the average customer.

I never bother looking for those yellow tin signs. If WH will not put them where they are blatantly visible that's their problem. If someone wants to ask me to leave then I'll do so, but I'll try to make sure my friends do not patronize them.

stay safe.

azcdlfred

I will be in Albuquerque this weekend. Is there another way of getting a hold of those cards?
Next weekend (Oct 15 & 16) is another gun show in Tucson.

We also keep the templates on our Educational Page . Scroll near the bottom under "Activism Tools."

I brought a stack of the cards home to see how they would sell online but after the annual meeting, I'm in non-stop data entry mode trying to catch up on membership applications.

Fred

Old Uncle Ho

In the past month I have open carried a 1911 twice at the W H on Ina near Hwy 10. Didn't see a sign but didn't look very hard either. Nothing was said and there were no nasty looks. All was cool.

GWbiker

Two IHOP locations in Tucson accept OC - Grant & Rosemont and Broadway & Pantano.

IHOP at Grant near I-10 however, is posted.

Super Saiyan

The IHOP off 51st Ave. and the I-10 in Phoenix doesn't have any signs up, and I have carried in there plenty of times around the hours of 0000-0300 without incident. Not much going on there at those hours, but there are some strange characters to watch. Going to go to the Wafflehouse down on 59th Ave. this weekend and to see the show (drug addicts, lot lizards, "wannabe" gang bangers, etc.). Why settle for dinner when you can have dinner AND a show? :D

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I wonder this every time I see a restaurant thread, but I don't think the exact circumstances have come up yet in the ones I've read. What can/should you do if you are told you are not welcome, in the middle of your meal? Would/should you pay and leave?

I'm of the feeling that if you are being told you are not welcome, you are not obligated to pay. The price is for the meal and time to eat it in peace. If you are denied the eating in peace, they have waived payment, in my opinion. I'd drop a tip for the server and explain that I regret their ignorance (or something to that effect), I suppose. Has this been addressed before?

I OC in AZ often, but not in the cities too much, just when traveling and visiting friends. I know the restaurants I've been through in Kingman and similar towns have never had an issue, but I don't think I've even been in a Waffle House in my life.

Last edited:

Super Saiyan

I wonder this every time I see a restaurant thread, but I don't think the exact circumstances have come up yet in the ones I've read. What can/should you do if you are told you are not welcome, in the middle of your meal? Would/should you pay and leave?

I'm of the feeling that if you are being told you are not welcome, you are not obligated to pay. The price is for the meal and time to eat it in peace. If you are denied the eating in peace, they have waived payment, in my opinion. I'd drop a tip for the server and explain that I regret their ignorance (or something to that effect), I suppose. Has this been addressed before?

I OC in AZ often, but not in the cities too much, just when traveling and visiting friends. I know the restaurants I've been through in Kingman and similar towns have never had an issue, but I don't think I've even been in a Waffle House in my life.

I'd tell them that my wallet and pistol go everywhere together, and if that's not welcome, I will leave. However, they would be privy to the fact that I don't pay for products and/or services that I don't receive. Whatever the outcome, I would still contact their corporate office and raise some serious hell, which may or may not have an impact on the future of such events recurring. Tell you one thing, though...the events sure wouldn't be recurring for me specifically, because I would never do business with that restaurant again.