• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wellman Quad County Pork Fest

Tucker6900

Hello all!

Wellman is hold the first annual Quad County Pork Fest tomorrow starting at 730am at North Park. This will be a firearm friendly environment, (with permit of course! :) )

Spoke with Wellman Council and Sheriff Dunbar about the rumor of a firearms ban at the event. The Sheriff has instructed his deputies, who will be providing security for the event, that in the event a firearm is seen, check the permit, and allow the individual to go on their way. This is a big day for Wellman and I hope you can make it!

Tucker6900

Curious - will they also be monitoring the parking lots checking every car they see for driving licenses?

Im picking up the sarcasm.

Maybe I can clear it up.

They will not be asking everyone if they have a firearm. In the event that a firearm becomes visible, or someone is open carrying, Dunbar has left it to the deputies to judge the situation, and check permits as necessary.

GeoffD

Not trying to hijack your thread here, but seeing as no one else is paying it any mind, I'll continue.

I wonder what situation there would be to judge. Anyone OCing at this event who would be peacefully participating would be observed as such, but when left to the discretion of officers who were given the OK to "check permits", I think it takes away from the point of OCing at a public event. If the officers were told to leave OCers alone...better yet, greet them and shake their hand instead of "checking papers", THAT would raise awareness and acceptance. Just my thoughts...

amaixner

Not trying to hijack your thread here, but seeing as no one else is paying it any mind, I'll continue.

I wonder what situation there would be to judge. Anyone OCing at this event who would be peacefully participating would be observed as such, but when left to the discretion of officers who were given the OK to "check permits", I think it takes away from the point of OCing at a public event. If the officers were told to leave OCers alone...better yet, greet them and shake their hand instead of "checking papers", THAT would raise awareness and acceptance. Just my thoughts...

Officers ALWAYS have the "ok" to check permits in Iowa. The law states that if a permit is required for the action you are performing, if an officer requests or demands a permit, you must present your permit to them.

The only time you would not have to would be (A) if you are not carrying, or (B) if you are open carrying outside of city limits because a permit is not required for that action.

Tucker6900

Saturday went off without a hitch. And that is exactly what the two deputies did. They wandered around for a while, walked up, introduced themselves, and started chatting about the festival and how delicious the pork ribs were. A few words about accessories for carry and they were extremely interested in the newest model of S&W M&P Tactical knife that I was carrying.

I am impressed with the professionalism of the Washington County Sheriffs Department, and thier deputies.

Tucker6900

Good to hear! I am so glad that this forum is getting more active!

Im not sure about everyone else, but I will be using this forum as the vehicle for carry from here on out. Due to a policy of "no open carry" by IFC, I have decided this is the better choice to fight the fight.

amaixner

Im not sure about everyone else, but I will be using this forum as the vehicle for carry from here on out. Due to a policy of "no open carry" by IFC, I have decided this is the better choice to fight the fight.

What fight? Iowa has open carry, and the sheriff can't retaliate against you for it anymore thanks to the bill passed by IFC and the NRA.
Also, the policy is a little more in-depth than you mention here. It may be more accurately described as to not open carry yet when officially representing the group if the event is in a place where it may cause push-back. Lots of people in the state are still new to seeing it done. You may, however, have noticed many IFC members and representatives open carrying at gun-related events like gun shows and the annual event at Brownells range, as well as open carrying in our daily lives when we are not acting as, in effect, media/public liaisons. It has been said that discretion is the better part of valor, and some people believe that at the present, discretion involves pushing more slowly than the maximum allowed by the law.

Tucker6900

What fight? Iowa has open carry, and the sheriff can't retaliate against you for it anymore thanks to the bill passed by IFC and the NRA.
Also, the policy is a little more in-depth than you mention here. It may be more accurately described as to not open carry yet when officially representing the group if the event is in a place where it may cause push-back. Lots of people in the state are still new to seeing it done. You may, however, have noticed many IFC members and representatives open carrying at gun-related events like gun shows and the annual event at Brownells range, as well as open carrying in our daily lives when we are not acting as, in effect, media/public liaisons. It has been said that discretion is the better part of valor, and some people believe that at the present, discretion involves pushing more slowly than the maximum allowed by the law.

And that is an understandable reason. However, the current president believes that open carry is not welcome....period. By the CC or regular members. That is the message I have taken from the discussions I have had with him.

Either way. IFC is doing a great job at the mission they are trying to accomplish. They have done great things in the past, and Im sure thier future is just as bright.