• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

asked a policy question at work

worriedatwork

I am a regular here, but because of the story I'm about to tell you, I hope you understand why I'm posting on a different account. (yes I'm aware admins/mods can tell who I am, but I'm worried about "anyone" who might view this forum publicly)

With the upcoming changes to wisconsin and the addition of CCW, I decided to ask at work what the company's policy would be regarding non-employees. My company already has a ban on employees carrying weapons, so it is what it is, but I wanted to know about people who come into the buildings and are NOT employees. Today, I was basically accused of being an unstable employee and that there is this concern that I "want to bring guns into work", because of the question I asked. Apparently all they heard was the word "gun" and they made up the rest in their heads. I explained the situation and clarified the misunderstanding. I again said I was simply trying to understand policy, and when I asked the question I was asked how that could possibly even be a concern and that I was crazy to think anyone would be carrying a gun around. They said I was silly if I actually thought someone might bring a gun into the buildings. They said that I have to be careful about asking such political questions because the impression was that I am possibly a "concern" and that there are questions about me now at work, and that they had to check with higher ups to see if any more "follow up" was needed.

After clarifying myself, the person I was talking to indicated they took care of it and smoothed over the misperception and clarified what it was I was asking. I've been told now that things are ok now and there is nothing to worry about and that things are all cleared up. But, now I'm sitting here and I have no idea what to even think. Now I'm actually scared I've somehow endangered my job because of asking a simple policy question...

Last edited:
M

McX

You are now standing by the river..........

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

I am a regular here, but because of the story I'm about to tell you, I hope you understand why I'm posting on a different account. (yes I'm aware admins/mods can tell who I am, but I'm worried about "anyone" who might view this forum publicly)

With the upcoming changes to wisconsin and the addition of CCW, I decided to ask at work what the company's policy would be regarding non-employees.

Unfortunately, you decloaked and were no longer 'The Gray Man' and are now on their radar. IMO, you probably didn't listen to your inner voice before getting confrontational, however mildly. You asked a question that was extremely theoretical and probably so rare that HR didn't think of it. Oh, wait you were trying to force them to think about guns in the workplace...and they did. It's a shame, though. Good luck.

GlockRDH

Its definately better to NOT ask for clarification for something thats NOT already down in writing or already a rule! Dont give anyone any info that can be used to create a future situation you may not want or may not be in your favor. Its better to ask for fogiveness than to ask for permission.

LaBomba

Most of the things we worry about never come to pass. And, you do have someone assuring you that it's all been cleared up.

Just the same, it never hurts to document what happened. In this case, I would consider writing down a detailed, dated account of what occurred today, just for your own records at home. The sooner you write it, the more credibility it will have. Make sure you capture what you were told about the matter being cleared up.

I'd also consider sending the person you spoke to an email along the lines of, "Thank you for letting me know that you spoke to [name] and [name] today and cleared up any misunderstanding about our earlier conversation. I really appreciate knowing it's not a problem." The email and any reply you receive should be printed out and kept at home. It should not in any way resurrect any of the problematic discussion.

Finally, it would probably be best to completely avoid the topic of guns and gun laws at work until the atmosphere is less charged.

From what you describe, it's really unfair that they treated you this way, my sympathies.

protias

Where I work, a lot of us talk about firearms openly. I've looked at the employee handbook and there is no mention of a weapons policy. I hope they keep it that way.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon

With the upcoming changes to wisconsin and the addition of CCW, I decided to ask at work what the company's policy would be regarding non-employees. My company already has a ban on employees carrying weapons, so it is what it is, but I wanted to know about people who come into the buildings and are NOT employees. Today, I was basically accused of being an unstable employee and that there is this concern that I "want to bring guns into work", because of the question I asked. Apparently all they heard was the word "gun" and they made up the rest in their heads. I explained the situation and clarified the misunderstanding. I again said I was simply trying to understand policy, and when I asked the question I was asked how that could possibly even be a concern and that I was crazy to think anyone would be carrying a gun around. They said I was silly if I actually thought someone might bring a gun into the buildings. They said that I have to be careful about asking such political questions because the impression was that I am possibly a "concern" and that there are questions about me now at work, and that they had to check with higher ups to see if any more "follow up" was needed.

After clarifying myself, the person I was talking to indicated they took care of it and smoothed over the misperception and clarified what it was I was asking. I've been told now that things are ok now and there is nothing to worry about and that things are all cleared up. But, now I'm sitting here and I have no idea what to even think. Now I'm actually scared I've somehow endangered my job because of asking a simple policy question...
Sounds like an extreme case of hoplophobia in a powerful manager. This is a form of insanity and can't be reasoned with; you are lucky you are still employed.

KBCraig

Just the same, it never hurts to document what happened. In this case, I would consider writing down a detailed, dated account of what occurred today, just for your own records at home. The sooner you write it, the more credibility it will have. Make sure you capture what you were told about the matter being cleared up.
Ditto. Names and dates, and save it to your personal home directory on the company servers (if you have such a system), and email it to a webmail address via your workplace email servers.

The purpose of all this isn't to protect your job, but to provide an evidence chain against false accusations. You might lose your job, but disproving the accusations would be essential to getting a new job.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
ha, I work in the military. I always talk about the constitution and our founding fathers - I have been told I am border line treasonist/likely to defect. Why? for talking about freedom and the promises of the constitution to protect it. America is "not what it used to be!"

It's a sad day when talk of the constitution is viewed as "strange" and "concerning." I mean ****, we take an oath to support and defend it against all enemies foreign and domestic-WHAT DO YOU MEAN DOMESTIC!??!?! SOUNDS LIKE YOU WANT TO START SOME TYPE OF VIOLENT REVOLUTION- that's what I've dealt with...

worriedatwork

Thanks everyone for the advice. The company is not a "general public" retail store or anything like that. You would only be there if you were already a customer or a vendor or something of that nature. I certainly appreciate the offers. I've gotten some good advice here I think and am going to just do the CYA stuff and then try to slip back into the shadows of a low profile and never mention any of this again. It seems some people hear the word "gun" and then immediately don't even listen to what you're actually saying or asking, and they just see you as some kind of lunatic or crazy person. Lesson learned for sure. Thanks all for helping again, I really appreciate it.

Horseman

Because I am the one that sets policy! And carry is not only allowed, but encouraged at my establishment.

Carry is encouraged at my farm for anyone of age to legally do so. Coyotes, bear, skunks, etc.

MKEgal

Teej said:
Well, you have a right to arm bears. I'm not so sure about coyotes and skunks though.
LOL I knew what he meant, but it was worded a bit awkwardly. :)
Did bring an interesting mental picture of a skunk trying to manipulate a pistol...