• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Innocent Man harmed by 'Gotcha!' mugshot magazine -- Implications for LEO Encounters

Repeater

WTVR interviewed a man who believes that Gotcha! Magazine may have cost him a job:
Local man upset about mugshot in magazine

After watching this on WTVR, I wondered:

• Is it really helpful for public safety to publish mugshots of persons arrested for misdemeanors, including minor misdemeanors?
  • Who picks up and reads Gotcha!?
  • As the attorney says on-camera, the magazines disclaimers seem disingenuous when the name of the magazine implies guilt: Gotcha! -- the cops got the bad guys!
  • Noteworthy is the apparent fact that the Richmond PD does not, in general, release the mugshots of persons arrested for misdemeanors; most of the mugshots in Gotcha! come from Chesterfield and Henrico
  • Most gun law violations are misdemeanors; thus, an arrest for an alleged gun violation in Chesterfield or Henrico would likely mean a mugshot appearance. Even when such persons are not guilty, the stigma continues
  • Suppose the General Assembly enacted a law prohibiting release of mugshots of anyone who was not arrested for a felony -- would that be helpful?
  • Richmond Media Group is a part of Media General; indeed, the RTD publishes some of the same mugshots that show up in Gotcha!, including skidmark'a arrest; their excuse for the magazine seems rather lame: "The goal of the section is simple – to help deter crime." So, publishing Paul's picture helps deter crime - really?
  • I wonder if gun owners would support legislation restricting the release of mugshots?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
WTVR interviewed a man who believes that Gotcha! Magazine may have cost him a job:
Local man upset about mugshot in magazine

After watching this on WTVR, I wondered:

• Is it really helpful for public safety to publish mugshots of persons arrested for misdemeanors, including minor misdemeanors?
  • Who picks up and reads Gotcha!?
  • As the attorney says on-camera, the magazines disclaimers seem disingenuous when the name of the magazine implies guilt: Gotcha! -- the cops got the bad guys!
  • Noteworthy is the apparent fact that the Richmond PD does not, in general, release the mugshots of persons arrested for misdemeanors; most of the mugshots in Gotcha! come from Chesterfield and Henrico
  • Most gun law violations are misdemeanors; thus, an arrest for an alleged gun violation in Chesterfield or Henrico would likely mean a mugshot appearance. Even when such persons are not guilty, the stigma continues
  • Suppose the General Assembly enacted a law prohibiting release of mugshots of anyone who was not arrested for a felony -- would that be helpful?
  • Richmond Media Group is a part of Media General; indeed, the RTD publishes some of the same mugshots that show up in Gotcha!, including skidmark'a arrest; their excuse for the magazine seems rather lame: "The goal of the section is simple – to help deter crime." So, publishing Paul's picture helps deter crime - really?
  • I wonder if gun owners would support legislation restricting the release of mugshots?

I think you'd get support for it from all over. It's not new. Papers publish lists and names for anything sensational or seedy...Judgements, bankruptcy, CHP Holders, etc.

Repeater

I think you'd get support for it from all over. It's not new. Papers publish lists and names for anything sensational or seedy...Judgements, bankruptcy, CHP Holders, etc.

You might be right about broad support.

I'm struck by your use of the word 'sensational' -- I really think that is the primary purpose of Gotcha! The magazine format sensationalizes arrests. The photos are in color, the various self-serving ads are similarly sensational. Yet the publisher asserts the magazine helps deter crime. They don't provide any empirical evidence for support. Maybe it's just a hunch.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Frankly, I find the propensity to publish photographs of those who have not been convicted abhorrent.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I made a comment in another thread about this and refered to the issue of Skids picture being posted and no information was given when he was found not guilty. I disagree with publishing arrest photos of people who have not been convicted.:cuss:

nuc65

Activist Member
Isn't the conventional thinking that he wouldn't have been arrested if he wasn't guilty?

This does not reflect my thinking, it was said in sarcasm.

Repeater

Isn't the conventional thinking that he wouldn't have been arrested if he wasn't guilty?

Well, I think that is the conventional prejudice.

The lesson here would be:

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

KBCraig

I believe public records should be open, and free to publish. Arrest logs and mugshots are public records.

I also agree that any publisher should be responsible for any consequences that arise from the decision to publish. That means being civilly liable to someone harmed by publication of their information. Lost a job, a house, reputation and standing? Pay up!

nuc65

Activist Member
I believe public records should be open, and free to publish. Arrest logs and mugshots are public records.

I also agree that any publisher should be responsible for any consequences that arise from the decision to publish. That means being civilly liable to someone harmed by publication of their information. Lost a job, a house, reputation and standing? Pay up!

The burden of proof would be too great. I lost my job because they accused me of... Well, did they say that's why you lost your job? Well, not exactly but ... Sorry, you haven't proven anything.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Anonymity argument

This is the 'anonymity argument' writ large.

Are we responsible for our public actions (statements), as on the internet, and are we responsible for our public actions as portrayed in the least favorable light by public media? Has one ever indulged in rhinotellexis, and been photographed doing it?

SFCRetired

Yes, mugshots and arrest records are public record. No, they should not be splashed all over the newspapers, television, or any seedy tabloid that wants to publish them.

Only in the event of a conviction should those items be published. There are too many employers out there who will fire an employee for just being arrested, never mind whether he/she actually committed a crime. Of course, they will not say that is the reason for the termination as that would leave them liable.

I wonder how many people have lost jobs, homes, family over arrests and have later been found innocent or have had charges dismissed before trial?

I'll go one step further: Should the person arrested have the charges dropped or be found innocent, the mugshots and the arrest record should be sealed.

Thundar

Put the shoe on the other foot

Have a pictoral magazine called boot lickers. Publish the pictures of LEO that have clearly unjust arrests as well as "journalists" that publish the unjust arrests.

Repeater

UVA: MANDATORY arrest disclosure

Remember Yeardley Love? Remember George Huguely?

Well, the University of Virginia, a place where self-defense is not welcome, instituted a policy requiring all new students to disclose ANY arrest record they may have. As I interpret the policy, any student with an arrest record will be investigated; any student with an undisclosed arrest record will be expelled.

Why the draconian change in policy? As explained by Allen Groves, Dean of Students:
QUESTION: What is the reason for this policy and the new implementation procedure?

RESPONSE: The underlying purpose is to help us maintain a safe community.

QUESTION: What types of criminal infractions need to be disclosed by students?

RESPONSE: Pursuant to policy, a student must disclose any arrests or convictions of a criminal offense, excluding minor traffic violations that do not result in an arrest or injury to others, regardless of whether they occur inside or outside the Commonwealth of Virginia and regardless of whether the University is in session at the time.

QUESTION: What about the distinction between arrests and convictions?

RESPONSE: We recognize that arrests do not represent an adjudicated conviction or an admission of guilt. Disclosure of an arrest is understood as that – simply an arrest — and may result in follow-up questions by the Dean of Students with subsequent supplementation by the student regarding the ultimate outcome of the case. Our focus at all times is on the underlying behavior. For those arrests that are referred to the University Judiciary Committee (and only where the underlying offense falls within the UJC’s jurisdiction), a UJC hearing is generally delayed until the underlying criminal matter is fully resolved in court. However, we believe it is important to know in a timely fashion when a student has been charged with a crime.

So, if an adult student were arrested for a weapons violation, like ... let's see, Brandishing, and the charge was later Nol Pross'd, then that student would have to disclose that arrest to the University. So, how would they treat that person?

But hey, Groves says it's working, so it must be good:
The mandatory reporting system for student arrest and convictions that the University of Virginia implemented in the wake of Yeardley Love’s May 2010 death is working, said Dean of Students Allen W. Groves.

The system has brought mainly misdemeanor alcohol offenses to administrators’ attention, Groves said, calling them “the vast majority” of the small number of disclosures. Students have disclosed a handful of felony issues (though felony charges are often reduced to misdemeanors in the court), he said.

Groves estimates the total number of disclosures at less than 2 percent of the student body. He declined to say if any students have been asked to leave the university as a result of disclosures, citing student confidentiality rules.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Allen Groves cites student confidentiality rules!!

That would almost be funny if the university were not demanding arrest records (not just convictions) something that no prudent employer would ever do. Seems to be they are opening themselves up for a major law suit.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yes, mugshots and arrest records are public record.
No....they're not!
Police records that involve a criminal investigation...even low level offenses, are exempted and may only be released if the department wants to. The court records are public but not the Police files.

USNA69

Well, the University of Virginia, a place where self-defense is not welcome, instituted a policy requiring all new students to disclose ANY arrest record they may have. As I interpret the policy, any student with an arrest record will be investigated; any student with an undisclosed arrest record will be expelled.

Why the draconian change in policy? As explained by Allen Groves, Dean of Students:

So, if an adult student were arrested for a weapons violation, like ... let's see, Brandishing, and the charge was later Nol Pross'd, then that student would have to disclose that arrest to the University. So, how would they treat that person?

But hey, Groves says it's working, so it must be good:

If the assumption is that a previous arrest might indicate a propensity to commit future violent acts, e.g. Yeardley Love, then should not the UVA Faculty and Staff also be asked to supply the same information? Why would their prior arrests not also indicate a propensity to commit future violent acts? Hmmmm???

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If the assumption is that a previous arrest might indicate a propensity to commit future violent acts, e.g. Yeardley Love, then should not the UVA Faculty and Staff also be asked to supply the same information? Why would their prior arrests not also indicate a propensity to commit future violent acts? Hmmmm???

Are you suggesting that what is good for the goose is good also for the gooseherd? Oh my! :p

TFred

I suspect no punitive action has been taken as a result of this policy, because as soon as it happens, I suspect the lawsuit would be quick to follow. I can't imagine any punitive action based on a mere arrest would stand Constitutional muster.

Sort of like the GFSZA, the mere existence of the policy/law on the books is the deterrent, even if no direct action ever takes place using it.

TFred