• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New from Fulton MO with a few questions...

BOOMcat12B

Just thought I would chime in here. I am a new member on here as well as fairly new to Fulton, and very new to OCing. I currently carry a .45 JHP in a BlackHawk hip Holster with one spare mag. I have only OCed once so far, the rest of the time all I have done is carry the holster just to see if anyone notices. So far I have onl had one guy notice and he just did a few double takes. I am still kinda hesitant to actually OC. I am debating if I want to go to city hall and get the ordinances to carry with me before I carry all the time. I am also not sure how to handle confrontation with the police (If they happen) I have read everything from fully cooperate to refuse to give your ID, so I dunno. I am curious what you all have to say about that as well as if there are any of you guys who OC around my area. I see alot of posts for STL and KC but not many from COMO and Jeff (which I would like to learn more about those AOs as well because I go out there everyonce in awhile) So if there are any OCers in my AO please let me know and if yall have any advice on anything from carrying to talking to police about carrying I thank you in advance for sharing with me.

Also can anyone link me the boycott list of business in MO who do not allow OCing/ CCing? I would appreciate it

Thanks
James

Last edited:

repomasterstl

There is a guy on here by the name Festus_hagen. He's out your way somewhere. Near JC. I am sure he can help you with what your asking. I live in Franklin County and have local ordinaces with me when I oc. Just in case. Welcome to the board!!!:banana:

lordmorpheus

James, I am a fairly new member here, and also new (within the last year) to OCing. Essentially, I OC everywhere but where I work, and the ONLY incident I have had was a casual conversation with a police officer at a grocery store. The grocery store is a police substation, and there is usually an officer there. Several of the officers I have talked with before I began OCing, and once I began to open carry, I continued to greet them when I saw them, and not a word about the firearm on my hip (which was sen by them) was said.

One night, an officer I didn't know approached me, and asked why I was carrying. I replied something along the lines of "utilising my 2nd amendment rights..." to which he said he was all for, but asked why I wasn't concealing. I explained that I did not have a CCW permit, and thus OC. I then went on to explain why my CCW permit was denied based on law wording, and that the Boone County Sheriff Major had told me I should have appealed their denial. I had nothing better to do, and was not being detained by the officer. If anything, I was detaining him by talking to him. After several minutes, I said I should get going and let him get back to work, and he thanked me for the conversation, and extended his hand to shake, which I did and bid him a good evening.

I have lived in Columbia since 1996, and in my early years had a few encounters with the police: apt getting robbed, homeless man passed out in front of door, summons for unpaid rent, driving on suspended license, DUI... Since then, I have had a few friends join the police force, I have grown up a lot, and two officers living up the street from me. So, with my record, and knowing a few people on the force, your results may vary slightly.

I suggest always being polite to police officers, but I am polite in general. I personally would react to each police encounter on a case by case basis. Regarding the officer that approached me at the grocery store: Had he been more stern, I probably would have been much less reluctant to talk with him. I might have evoked the "am I being detained" speech. Had he asked for my ID, I probably would have asked why he needed to see it, as I wasn't breaking any laws, and then begun the "am I being detained speech". But, since he was casual, I replied in the same tone.

Basically, enjoy your rights, be polite, be assertive and polite when necessary, and welcome to Mid-MO!!

BOOMcat12B

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. So I have a few things to add now. First I OCed for the first time yesterday. I carried into Casey's and Family Video and had no problems at either place. Pretty sure no one even noticed.

Here in alittle bit I am planning on swinging by city hall and getting the ordinances to carry with me.
Also I talked to a local LEO last night about OCing. I work at a gas station (Ironically enough you can't cc or oc at my work, but sadly with the economy the way it is and me going to school I can't quit) and the local LEOs come in and get their fuel from us. So I usally talk with em for a few minutes if things are slow. Anyways when this officer came in last night I asked him about OCing and he was not to keen on it. He said it was my right and he really did not have a problem about it, other than it will probablly cause a hassle ( I.E. them geting calls about "a guy with a gun", or me being asked to leave places...all things I have thought about and considered so I expalined that to him) He asked me why I just did not get my CCW. I told him money was a big factor right now, as well as the fact that I only have one handgun right now, a Hi- Point .45 which is a huge pistol and while it is conceable, I did not feel like changing my wardrobe right now (I wear wranglers and T-Shirts...Wranglers are not really big frame pistol friendly). This of course led us down the Hi- Points aren't that good road ( Not true in my expereince but that is for another thread...Let's just say that I trust my Hi-Point enough to carry it and entrust my life to it) and from there we began to talk about various weapons we have shot and or own and so on and so forth (He already knew about my time in the service so he asked what I got to use while I was in and we talked about that and what he carries for the department and so on) but all in all it just reinforced my confidence to start OCing. Luckily I know sevral of the local LEOs and they are decent folks so I am not to worried about being hassled by them. Anyways thanks again for the welcomes and please if there are more folks around this area post up and let me know...I would not mind picking yalls brains if you do not mind of course. Thanks again for the welcomes.!!!

Festus_Hagen

Hey Boomcat . Welcome. :)

As repo said, I'm in Jeff City, and I carry openly most of the time. I have my CCW , but I have a little back trouble here and there right now so OC is just "easier" for me. I do CCW a gun as well, though. I've never had a problem in JC, California, Columbia or any area I've done it in. I am always nice and friendly to everyone I meet, so that kinda helps. Plus I guess I sorta look like a cop... I dunno.

Best advice I can give is be polite. Folks don't think you are a loon running around with a gun if you act "normal" usually. As far as the police, I personally would just show my ID and engage in polite conversation with them if you get hassled. Some say don't, I think different. Your choice I reckon.

You should not have any trouble I wouldn't think, but just remember, cops can make the situation worse if you have a poor attitude. That's why I prefer to be nice rather than bull up or not show my ID if the situation arises.

Good luck ! :D

mspgunner

Jeff City

I'll be up in Jeff City a few times early next year, it would be a good thing to get together one afternoon or two, I'll PM you when the date gets closer. I have a few things to shre with you face to face... Good stuff!!!

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Plus I guess I sorta look like a cop... I dunno.

A really old retired one?

LOL, you opened that door, I only walked through it!

FYI some hazards to the wheelin trip this weekend, just an fyi kind of thing. I have a severe case of perch rot on the drivers side, bad enough I am going to rebuild them or weld totally new ones on. That means no disconnected wheelin cause I aint up for putting the spring back in several times. I got the rails so I can drag it along and the WJ has plenty of droop with the bar attached. I also will have the high lift just incase it decides to jump out. I doubt it will be an issue, over 50% of it still there, but it bugs me anyway!

Got the rock lights on so I am really up for some night wheelin too.

Sorry to derail thread but FYI new guy in Fulton, it is an open invite if you like wheelin.

BOOMcat12B

Well I have not run into any problems so far. I went and got the ordinances from the city and have em in my wallet just in case, but so far no problems. I have only been in Caseys Family Video and Break Time, plus a few pawn shops and the local Gun store. I have yet to carry into Wal-Mart so I reckon I will see how that goes when I get to that bridge. Now I just need to find me a smallest lighter pistol in a different caliber to carry all the time and I will be happy. Anyone know of any sites similar to Craigslist around here that allow private party buying and selling of firearms. Other than ad tracker and the like. I have yet to find what I am looking for in any of the shops/ ad tracker, plus I do not want to pay MSRP for something if I can help it. Thanks again for the help....

Freedom 1st

Well I have not run into any problems so far. I went and got the ordinances from the city and have em in my wallet just in case, but so far no problems. I have only been in Caseys Family Video and Break Time, plus a few pawn shops and the local Gun store. I have yet to carry into Wal-Mart so I reckon I will see how that goes when I get to that bridge. Now I just need to find me a smallest lighter pistol in a different caliber to carry all the time and I will be happy. Anyone know of any sites similar to Craigslist around here that allow private party buying and selling of firearms. Other than ad tracker and the like. I have yet to find what I am looking for in any of the shops/ ad tracker, plus I do not want to pay MSRP for something if I can help it. Thanks again for the help....

I do not know what you are looking for, but there are several good online places to shop for firearms that may or maynot save you money over the traditional gunshop prices.

Try budsgunshop.com , centerfiresystems.com , pistolsandpawn.com , cheaperthandirt.com . The good thing for about buying on line from an out of state supplier ( at least in my experience ) they do not charge sales tax to out of state buyers. After you pay for the item it is then shipped to a licensed FFL dealer usually of your choice. This allows you to shop around for the best prices for someone, to do transfer charges. Just take time to read some of the reviews and mind you do business with reputable dealers, and be aware of their shipping prices, time, and customer service.

There are bad thing about buying online also. The inability to actually hold and inspect the purchase you are about to make. And building a personal relationship with a business that is usually willing to go the extra mile to address your needs.

If you are set on a path of only buying from private party sales, which is not a bad idea IMHO. I am in, kind of the same situation you are. I am trying to rebuild my collection after a tragic boating accident at the lake, lost every one of them when the boat sank and haven't been able to locate the site of the accident to try and salvage them. Everything looks the same in the dark, dont you know?

Try a place called rollanet.com , usually 250 to 350 guns advertised at any given time. Most are located in the central Mo. area. You can place ads too. Or midwestguntrader I think it's called. Goodluck shopping.

Last edited:

BOOMcat12B

FREEDOM1ST Thanks. I don't know why I did not think of rollanet. I have no problem with buying from a FFL shop, however the ones close to me so far have not had anything I am looking for, or their prices are to high. I usally stop into my local Pawn shops/ gun stores at least once a week to see what they have. Right now I am carrying a Hi-Point .45 which is really heavy. Plus I am kinda wanting to switch to a .40 cal (which seems hard to find in my area). Thanks for those sites. I am always hesitant to do business online in regards to firearms but I will check those sites out. Thanks again.