• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carried for the first time!

GlockGuy36

Hey guys, after some skepticism and being corrected by members on here and after reading more of KRS 527.100 etc. I open carried for the first time today at age 20. I tell ya what, I was kind of nervous about it. I live in grant county Kentucky and I dont ever see anyone open carrying here at all. So, I made some random trips and open carried for a little while to see what kind of reactions I would get and to see how it felt to actually open carry out in public. Nobody took of running or yelling "he has a gun!", and nobody called the cops either. I guess overall it went well but I did get some strange looks when I walked in McDonalds with a Glock 22 on my side. I was pretty nervous though, I'd like to know if there is anyone in my general area who would want to open carry with me so that I could get more comfortable with it. Love to hear so feed back and friendly advice on OC'ying :monkey

DrakeZ07

Good job, and glad to hear everything went rather uneventful. Now ya just need to upgrade and get DEagle to OC, wouldn't even have to keep it loaded for the deterrent effect :p See, isn't it fun? A bit of a rush while you do so, and ya get over the nervousness after a few tries.

OC'ing is always best done with a friend, who happens to have a voice recorder, and maybe a camera :p I'm sure there are OC'ers up in Dry Ridge, Florence, or Covington who lurk on the forums :/

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Congrats!!! I believe you will find that a lot of the anxiety over open carry goes away after you carry a couple of times. Keep it up!!!

GlockGuy36

Thanks guys

Yea guys it was a good feeling and im not saying that to brag or nothing, just it was a good feeling to exercise my 2nd amendment right. I hope to find some people near my area who OC so I can hang around them and get used to it more. I'm still going to open carry and being that im not 21 thats my only legal option. Oh and DrakeZ07, nice man but i dont have the kind of cash for that lol if I do though, I'd give it a shot ;). I would like to find some OC'ers in my area though so if you know any; direct em my way =)

Johnburns15

If you're ever ocing in Lexington let me know and maybe we could meet up sometime. I'm not around grant co too much but I am up that way every so often

GlockGuy36

Alright man

Hey if you want to PM me your number if you text and let me know if your ever up this way and I'll do te same if I'm down your way as well. It'd be nice to meet some fellow OC'ers and make new friends as well :)

jbone

...but I did get some strange looks...

And expect more.

Coming back from Grouse hunting today a friend and I stopped off at the Stillaguamish river checking on the silver run. As we got out there was also a man and woman getting out of their Subaru, and looking like an add from the L.L. Bean catalog. Not knocking as they had some nice gear. We were parked close, they took one look at us saw our side arms and got right back in the car. We did our survey, 5 minutes or so and left. I can only guess what they discussed in the car. No grouse, but did go home with a laugh.

GlockGuy36

Wow, nice story

Yea, Sounds like a funny story! I guess it's just people who are sheltered and makes every armed responsible citizen out to be a dangerous criminal which isn't the case at all. Just goes to show how people react to responsible citizens and people freak out.

WCrawford

Thanks man! I appreciate it, I hope that ill have more days that are successful and uneventful as well.

I'm glad you had an uneventful experience. I started open carrying about 5-6 years ago in Louisville. I had no permit and I was very nervous at first, but i was more nervous about the area I lived in (35th and Market area) and all the violence in the news.

Now that I live in Tennessee and have a carry permit (HCP), I can't conceal a firearm without feeling like I'm doing something wrong. Open carry is the only way I feel comfortable.

GlockGuy36

I know the feeling

I was extremely nervous when I carried the other day, when did you start carrying WCrawford? like what age? I like open carrying, of course thats all I can do because i'm only 20 but I do plan on getting my carry concealed, mostly for in the vehicle so I can have it where ever I want for easy access. :banana: I do hope that ALL of the times I wear it will be uneventful but I doubt it will be like that. I'm sure ill get stopped by a cop sometime or another, just hope they are open to being recorded and having me preach KRS to em LOL.

WCrawford

I was extremely nervous when I carried the other day, when did you start carrying WCrawford? like what age? I like open carrying, of course thats all I can do because i'm only 20 but I do plan on getting my carry concealed, mostly for in the vehicle so I can have it where ever I want for easy access. :banana: I do hope that ALL of the times I wear it will be uneventful but I doubt it will be like that. I'm sure ill get stopped by a cop sometime or another, just hope they are open to being recorded and having me preach KRS to em LOL.

I was 34/35 at the time (I look much younger).

Remember, you can keep your loaded firearm in your center console or glove box, until you get your KY CCDW.

Finally, KY is a one party consent state. You don't need to inform anyone you are recording (and I would not). Don't preach KRS to the cops, just keep your mouth shut by saying, "I am exercising my right to remain silent." You will get in far less trouble when dealing with the real criminal cops (as opposed to the uneducated ones).

langzaiguy

I would recommend reading a thread or two in our forum. I think you'll find very quickly that no, you do not need a permit to OC in KY. It's a great thing to live in KY; welcome to the forum!

robin.kevin

Looks like I am late reply...

I also live in Grant Co., Williamstown area, however I haven't open carry in a public place thus far. I am 25 so a little older but its still a little uncomfortable thinking of open carrying. The only times I do really open carry would be if I am working around the house, more so if doing anything in the woods behind the house as you never know what or who you might run into. Either way just wanted to say I completely understand. I know or at least met most of the LEOs around here and some such as Ronnie from WPD are super nice, however I have ran into a few from GCPD that I really don't know how they would look at it.