Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabellas Visit Today

Cabellas Visit Today

Had weird encounter to day at Cabellas in Hrtfrd. Was at gun counter and this young salesman was telling me how he was upset because we live in a state that outlaws open carry. I am beyond sick and tired of hearing from people who should know better. Add Cabellas to the "Wake Up Connecticut Carry Harry" list.

I have said time and time again that our biggest problems are the '2A supporters' who have no idea what it even means.

I would have asked him why he doesn't move to a state where the laws are more agreeable for him. Perhaps Illinois. Or North Korea.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I have said time and time again that our biggest problems are the '2A supporters' who have no idea what it even means.

I would have asked him why he doesn't move to a state where the laws are more agreeable for him. Perhaps Illinois. Or North Korea.
    That does not compute.

The salesman is reported to have said that he was upset that he lives in a state (Connecticut) that outlaws open carry. OC is not outlawed in Connecticut. It is restricted to those that have permits - at the worst he is misinformed.

Why would Illinois or North Korea be more agreeable to him? Don't see that he was complaining about people who carry guns legally or how they carry them in your state.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The salesman is reported to have said that he was upset that he lives in a state (Connecticut) that outlaws open carry.
    You got me. I misread. I thought he said he was upset that we didn't outlaw open carry.

Ooops. Mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by 06890 View Post
    Had weird encounter to day at Cabellas in Hrtfrd. Was at gun counter and this young salesman was telling me how he was upset because we live in a state that outlaws open carry. I am beyond sick and tired of hearing from people who should know better. Add Cabellas to the "Wake Up Connecticut Carry Harry" list.

Looks like we need to drop off some "Is That Legal?" pamphlets there. http://www.ccdl.us/attachments/099_C...hure%20v2b.pdf

Did you attempt to enlighten him or was he not open to the discussion? Just curious.
    Last edited by Freiheit417; 10-08-2011 at 09:36 PM.
    America, where freedom* reigns.

*Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

-----------

“What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

I have open carried in there a few times.

One time I was kicked out by a manager (who was later reprimanded by corporate) for OCing despite having signs at the entry welcoming OC and CC.
    Another time I was told by a gun counter employee that 'I better conceal that or someone is likely to cause problems for me'. His manager was contacted as well.

I don't go to Cabelas much. I find them to be over priced and not very well informed on anything.

Way too overpriced - agree.

There is a sign now that does not allow firearms and a check in counter for them at the entrance.

Rather ludicrous if you ask me. If they are so against guns, then discontinue selling them and just be a Sports Authority for goodness sake.

oh, and no I did not get into a debate with the sales guy about his lack of knowledge or misinformation campaign or whatever we may call it.

Way too overpriced - agree.

There is a sign now that does not allow firearms and a check in counter for them at the entrance.

Rather ludicrous if you ask me. If they are so against guns, then discontinue selling them and just be a Sports Authority for goodness sake.

oh, and no I did not get into a debate with the sales guy about his lack of knowledge or misinformation campaign or whatever we may call it.

Does your Cabela's sign look like this one...

Note: Read the fine print, near the bottom. I see this issue coming up across numerous forums. This pic was taken at a Cabela's in Pennsylvania, not Connecticut, but it states their corporate policy. I'm betting their firearms policy is consistent from state-to-state.
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Does your Cabela's sign look like this one...

Note: Read the fine print, near the bottom. I see this issue coming up across numerous forums. This pic was taken at a Cabela's in Pennsylvania, not Connecticut, but it states their corporate policy. I'm betting their firearms policy is consistent from state-to-state.
    Similar sign in Va. stores that I have visited. While it does not address OC (w/o permit) directly, I have heard of no unresolved problems - therefore they are following state law IMO.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Funny you say that. I was there 2 weeks ago and a salesman from the firearms counter had stated that they were all trained to not overact when someone open carrying. He even stated that there isn't a law, just too much of a gray area

I have seen this same sign or one very similar at Cabela's here in Lacey, Washington. I have open carried there with no issues. I went upstairs to the gun section and the only comment about my gun was one of admiration.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

OK, I'd to reserve my comment - I did not take a photo of the sign and can not confirm if small type was included stating permitted carry was allowed in store.

I can confirm they have always had a sign that they do not mid carriers, and that corporate and store management understands. However, I have asked them to provide better training and guidance to their employees several times to no avail.

Cabela's East Hartford sign.

They used to have a large nice sign on a pole right in the center of walkway by the front desk. Someone posted a pic of it somewhere but I can't seem to find it atm.

I stand corrected, thank you.

Sounds like counter staff need training.

Will be calling tomorrow.

Interesting......

I went in a month or two ago looking for a holster that the locals didn't have.

I did have a carry firearm, holstered (not hidden by any means). They didn't give me an issue there, however, the firearm that was in a box, open chamber indicator in the firearm (no ammo either) was a no-go for them. I had to check it in downstairs at the main door. They don't give me a ticket or anything (which I thought was odd and won't do that one again). Bring it upstairs and I need to get a ticket at the counter, wait my turn to ask a question regarding holsters.

Now, as I recall, the only incident in a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops type of store was BECAUSE the firearm was checked in. I can totally see that. They have a test fire chamber in the front of the store that they use to make sure the firearm isn't loaded. Guy racked the slide (chamber indicator flag..... naturally popped out. So, he racked it again (since he didn't get a full slide). But failed. Firearm is a Springfield XD9. I let this go on for about 30 seconds or so and let him know that he has to press in the safety on the backstrap as if he was actually about to fire the firearm.

The guy is clearly not totally comprehending various firearms (especially considering this is a very common one).

Oddball process, to say the least.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

I cannot figure out why I would be expected to ever let a firearm out of my control to a counter commando.

When Cabelas suggested that they be allowed to inspect or take possession of my open carried firearm, I laughed and told them I was leaving to call their corporate office. A firearm in a holster is safe. A firearm in the hands of a person who is telling me that open carry isn't legal in CT because the permit says 'concealed' is not safe.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    ...snip...

I did have a carry firearm, holstered (not hidden by any means). They didn't give me an issue there, however, the firearm that was in a box, open chamber indicator in the firearm (no ammo either) was a no-go for them. I had to check it in downstairs at the main door. They don't give me a ticket or anything (which I thought was odd and won't do that one again). Bring it upstairs and I need to get a ticket at the counter, wait my turn to ask a question regarding holsters.
    Their standard policy is to check/secure guns coming in for service i.e. their employees will be handling them.

I would not have relinquished my gun and would immediately ask to speak to the store manager.

Rich, I hear ya (and I'll bring my supplies tonight).

Grapeshot - I hear ya, and my thought process afterwards was a bit different as well. Service..... wasn't getting any - REALLY. I didn't need the counterguys help except that I needed to get my firearm from him to test a holster. I coulda done it all on my own.

But, I guess they think their store employees know more about firearms than the people that have thousands of rounds through 'em.

I guess you can learn a lot from a brochure!

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    Grapeshot - I hear ya, and my thought process afterwards was a bit different as well. Service..... wasn't getting any - REALLY. I didn't need the counterguys help except that I needed to get my firearm from him to test a holster. I coulda done it all on my own.
    Next time learn your lesson and just buy the holster and return it if you don't like it.

Or just don't shop at Cabelas. That is certainly what I learned.

I will, I was just shocked by the whole thing. I didn't hand over my carry firearm, so I wanted to see how deep this policy would go.

Color me curious.

Now..... oh, hells no!

Jonathan

Why anyone would bring a gun there for service in the first place, is beyond me. Not when NGX is right down the road.

Don
    Last edited by dcmdon; 10-15-2011 at 01:53 AM.

If I can't fix it, I bring it to NGX.

Cabellas does service work? I didn't know that.

Jonathan

I can't imagine any scenario where I'd bring a cased gun into Cabellas.

I asked once about bringing a gun in with a chamber flag, or even the bbl removed to try in a holster, and they said it was a no go.
    I'm left handed and have a hard time finding holsters to try before I buy.

Since then I've found two places that have a lot of left handed holsters:
    1) some police supply place in Newington, I can't remember the name.
    2) Chris' indoor gun range in Guilford. Chris is left handed. So he takes care of us.

Don

p.s. In the end it didn't matter. It appears that Cabellas does not stock a SINGLE left handed holster in their store in EH. Also, not a single LH bolt action rifle. Its all about maximizing sales per sq ft., not about serving customers.
    Of course thats why I buy only the minimum I need to from Cabellas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast