• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabellas Visit Today

Had weird encounter to day at Cabellas in Hrtfrd. Was at gun counter and this young salesman was telling me how he was upset because we live in a state that outlaws open carry. I am beyond sick and tired of hearing from people who should know better. Add Cabellas to the "Wake Up Connecticut Carry Harry" list.

Rich B

I have said time and time again that our biggest problems are the '2A supporters' who have no idea what it even means.

I would have asked him why he doesn't move to a state where the laws are more agreeable for him. Perhaps Illinois. Or North Korea.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have said time and time again that our biggest problems are the '2A supporters' who have no idea what it even means.

I would have asked him why he doesn't move to a state where the laws are more agreeable for him. Perhaps Illinois. Or North Korea.

That does not compute.

The salesman is reported to have said that he was upset that he lives in a state (Connecticut) that outlaws open carry. OC is not outlawed in Connecticut. It is restricted to those that have permits - at the worst he is misinformed.

Why would Illinois or North Korea be more agreeable to him? Don't see that he was complaining about people who carry guns legally or how they carry them in your state.

Freiheit417

Had weird encounter to day at Cabellas in Hrtfrd. Was at gun counter and this young salesman was telling me how he was upset because we live in a state that outlaws open carry. I am beyond sick and tired of hearing from people who should know better. Add Cabellas to the "Wake Up Connecticut Carry Harry" list.

Looks like we need to drop off some "Is That Legal?" pamphlets there. http://www.ccdl.us/attachments/099_CCDL Carry Brochure v2b.pdf

Did you attempt to enlighten him or was he not open to the discussion? Just curious.

Last edited:

Rich B

I have open carried in there a few times.

One time I was kicked out by a manager (who was later reprimanded by corporate) for OCing despite having signs at the entry welcoming OC and CC.
Another time I was told by a gun counter employee that 'I better conceal that or someone is likely to cause problems for me'. His manager was contacted as well.

I don't go to Cabelas much. I find them to be over priced and not very well informed on anything.

Way too overpriced - agree.

There is a sign now that does not allow firearms and a check in counter for them at the entrance.

Rather ludicrous if you ask me. If they are so against guns, then discontinue selling them and just be a Sports Authority for goodness sake.

oh, and no I did not get into a debate with the sales guy about his lack of knowledge or misinformation campaign or whatever we may call it.

Curmudgeon

Way too overpriced - agree.

There is a sign now that does not allow firearms and a check in counter for them at the entrance.

Rather ludicrous if you ask me. If they are so against guns, then discontinue selling them and just be a Sports Authority for goodness sake.

oh, and no I did not get into a debate with the sales guy about his lack of knowledge or misinformation campaign or whatever we may call it.

Does your Cabela's sign look like this one...

305121_10150391904124669_511289668_9877667_930120949_n.jpg

Note: Read the fine print, near the bottom. I see this issue coming up across numerous forums. This pic was taken at a Cabela's in Pennsylvania, not Connecticut, but it states their corporate policy. I'm betting their firearms policy is consistent from state-to-state.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does your Cabela's sign look like this one...

Note: Read the fine print, near the bottom. I see this issue coming up across numerous forums. This pic was taken at a Cabela's in Pennsylvania, not Connecticut, but it states their corporate policy. I'm betting their firearms policy is consistent from state-to-state.

Similar sign in Va. stores that I have visited. While it does not address OC (w/o permit) directly, I have heard of no unresolved problems - therefore they are following state law IMO.

beanoboy7

Funny you say that. I was there 2 weeks ago and a salesman from the firearms counter had stated that they were all trained to not overact when someone open carrying. He even stated that there isn't a law, just too much of a gray area

Ruby

I have seen this same sign or one very similar at Cabela's here in Lacey, Washington. I have open carried there with no issues. I went upstairs to the gun section and the only comment about my gun was one of admiration.

OK, I'd to reserve my comment - I did not take a photo of the sign and can not confirm if small type was included stating permitted carry was allowed in store.

Rich B

I can confirm they have always had a sign that they do not mid carriers, and that corporate and store management understands. However, I have asked them to provide better training and guidance to their employees several times to no avail.

smokeyburnout

They used to have a large nice sign on a pole right in the center of walkway by the front desk. Someone posted a pic of it somewhere but I can't seem to find it atm.

KIX

Interesting......

I went in a month or two ago looking for a holster that the locals didn't have.

I did have a carry firearm, holstered (not hidden by any means). They didn't give me an issue there, however, the firearm that was in a box, open chamber indicator in the firearm (no ammo either) was a no-go for them. I had to check it in downstairs at the main door. They don't give me a ticket or anything (which I thought was odd and won't do that one again). Bring it upstairs and I need to get a ticket at the counter, wait my turn to ask a question regarding holsters.

Now, as I recall, the only incident in a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops type of store was BECAUSE the firearm was checked in. I can totally see that. They have a test fire chamber in the front of the store that they use to make sure the firearm isn't loaded. Guy racked the slide (chamber indicator flag..... naturally popped out. So, he racked it again (since he didn't get a full slide). But failed. Firearm is a Springfield XD9. I let this go on for about 30 seconds or so and let him know that he has to press in the safety on the backstrap as if he was actually about to fire the firearm.

The guy is clearly not totally comprehending various firearms (especially considering this is a very common one).

Oddball process, to say the least.

Jonathan

Rich B

I cannot figure out why I would be expected to ever let a firearm out of my control to a counter commando.

When Cabelas suggested that they be allowed to inspect or take possession of my open carried firearm, I laughed and told them I was leaving to call their corporate office. A firearm in a holster is safe. A firearm in the hands of a person who is telling me that open carry isn't legal in CT because the permit says 'concealed' is not safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
...snip...

I did have a carry firearm, holstered (not hidden by any means). They didn't give me an issue there, however, the firearm that was in a box, open chamber indicator in the firearm (no ammo either) was a no-go for them. I had to check it in downstairs at the main door. They don't give me a ticket or anything (which I thought was odd and won't do that one again). Bring it upstairs and I need to get a ticket at the counter, wait my turn to ask a question regarding holsters.

Their standard policy is to check/secure guns coming in for service i.e. their employees will be handling them.

I would not have relinquished my gun and would immediately ask to speak to the store manager.

KIX

Rich, I hear ya (and I'll bring my supplies tonight).

Grapeshot - I hear ya, and my thought process afterwards was a bit different as well. Service..... wasn't getting any - REALLY. I didn't need the counterguys help except that I needed to get my firearm from him to test a holster. I coulda done it all on my own.

But, I guess they think their store employees know more about firearms than the people that have thousands of rounds through 'em.

I guess you can learn a lot from a brochure!

Jonathan