• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabellas Visit Today

Rich B

Grapeshot - I hear ya, and my thought process afterwards was a bit different as well. Service..... wasn't getting any - REALLY. I didn't need the counterguys help except that I needed to get my firearm from him to test a holster. I coulda done it all on my own.

Next time learn your lesson and just buy the holster and return it if you don't like it.

Or just don't shop at Cabelas. That is certainly what I learned.

KIX

I will, I was just shocked by the whole thing. I didn't hand over my carry firearm, so I wanted to see how deep this policy would go.

Color me curious.

Now..... oh, hells no!

Jonathan

dcmdon

Why anyone would bring a gun there for service in the first place, is beyond me. Not when NGX is right down the road.

Don

Last edited:

KIX

If I can't fix it, I bring it to NGX.

Cabellas does service work? I didn't know that.

Jonathan

dcmdon

I can't imagine any scenario where I'd bring a cased gun into Cabellas.

I asked once about bringing a gun in with a chamber flag, or even the bbl removed to try in a holster, and they said it was a no go.
I'm left handed and have a hard time finding holsters to try before I buy.

Since then I've found two places that have a lot of left handed holsters:
1) some police supply place in Newington, I can't remember the name.
2) Chris' indoor gun range in Guilford. Chris is left handed. So he takes care of us.

Don

p.s. In the end it didn't matter. It appears that Cabellas does not stock a SINGLE left handed holster in their store in EH. Also, not a single LH bolt action rifle. Its all about maximizing sales per sq ft., not about serving customers.
Of course thats why I buy only the minimum I need to from Cabellas.

Rich B

p.s. In the end it didn't matter. It appears that Cabellas does not stock a SINGLE left handed holster in their store in EH. Also, not a single LH bolt action rifle. Its all about maximizing sales per sq ft., not about serving customers.
Of course thats why I buy only the minimum I need to from Cabellas.

I have found Cabela's to be one of the worst places to buy holsters. They have an abysmal selection.

PS: Check your PMs please, trying to get a hold of you.

Pete

NGE best place to go customer service #1 and friendly staff, Cabela's ahh !! I wont even go there !!

KIX

I have found Cabela's to be one of the worst places to buy holsters. They have an abysmal selection.

they actually had the Blackhawk Serpa in stock. Sometimes, they have what I need. And given the cost of shipping and waiting.... I went for it.

Regarding Newington Gun Exchange, I agree. I spend quite a bit of Benjamins there!

Jonathan

KIX

I hit 'em all today.

Found myself back at Cabelas though. Bought a Vortexx red/green dot with a $20.00 coupon. Ended up mail order pricing with no shipping.

Sometimes, when the deal is right, they're OK. Really good camping sale right now. However, I have NEVER seen a firearm for a decent price there.

NGE most of the time, Hoffman's when they have a good deal on something. Tactical material is usually Delta Arsenal in Meriden or BMG on the Berlin Tpk.

For a tough gun state, we have some options.

Jonathan

dcmdon

For a lot of stuff, Cabellas is the only game in town. Duck decoys for example. Their camping stuff is great and is well backed by excellent customer service. Its mainly guns and holsters where they are lacking.

Don

p.s. CT isn't actually that tough of a gun state. No shall-issue and the AWB are the only real thorns. (let the flaming begin)

KIX

p.s. CT isn't actually that tough of a gun state. No shall-issue and the AWB are the only real thorns. (let the flaming begin)

I agree, though suitability is a big thing with me (kinda obvious with the study and all).

As a guy that has built a LOT of AR's, I get FRUSTRATED with the AWB. Why can I build a kickass Stag from New Britain, but not a Colt from West Hartford?

Don't even get me on the other ABW nonsense.

We can't hunt with our AR in CT, can we?

Jonathan

dcmdon

I agree, though suitability is a big thing with me (kinda obvious with the study and all).

As a guy that has built a LOT of AR's, I get FRUSTRATED with the AWB. Why can I build a kickass Stag from New Britain, but not a Colt from West Hartford?

Don't even get me on the other ABW nonsense.

We can't hunt with our AR in CT, can we?

Jonathan

Sure you can. I'm assuming you are referring to deer hunting. .223 is not a large enough cartridge to hunt deer with in CT.
Get one chambered in a large enough caliber (I don't recall what the threshold is) and get or build a 2 round magazine and you are good to go.

Don

Last edited:

KIX

Good to know.

I'm planning on my .308 or 7.62mm version soon. I think I read .227 as the smallest in the statutes somewhere, but that was some time ago.

I'll be digging down to some of those statutes next for a future project.........

Jonathan

MHemmann

I believe the smallest size is a .243 (6mm) to hunt deer with. also thats only for private land, for state land you can only use shotgun with slugs. for the ar-15 why dont you do a 300 blackout? same mag as 5.56 and same bolt. just a barrel change.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I believe the smallest size is a .243 (6mm) to hunt deer with. also thats only for private land, for state land you can only use shotgun with slugs. for the ar-15 why dont you do a 300 blackout? same mag as 5.56 and same bolt. just a barrel change.

Great suggestion. A little OT, but not like this thread is going to evolve that way, right?

Cheaper than a new dedicated gun and ammo is not expensive either.
http://300aacblackout.com/

dcmdon

I personally think that you should simply get whatever is easiest for you. The reality is that at Northeast distances, anything, including .223 will work if you do your part. And none of them will work if you don't.

I've got a ton of .308 ammo and am set up to reload for that caliber. So for me its worth buying an AR10 rifle even if the initial firearm purchase cost more. Plus I like that it will use the same ammo as my M1A and my bolt gun. Even still. I don't have any interest in hunting with an AR. I prefer traditional guns for that.

DSC_2241-1.jpg

But thats just my preference. I think its great that the hardware is available. I also think that the entry of Remington into the market with a hunting camo patterned gun was big.

Don

Last edited:

KIX

I was looking at the 7.62x35 as one option. I like the AR platform. I love traditional as well, but I do a LOT of AR work. So...... I was looking at some really nice Mossy Oak components for the rifle.

Open carry.... well... in the woods :)

Jonathan

dcmdon

I'm guessing you mean 7.63x39. That would work great at the short distances deer is taken around here. And less recoil than a 308.

Theres a part of me that would like to try some of the big bore calibers like .50 Beowolf or .458 Socom. They basically replicate the ballistics of the old .45-70 lever cartridge.

Last edited: