• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on an Air Force Base?

Kindyj

Is It Legal?

I Work on WhiteMan AirForce Base and i would love to show up to work legally carring my Weapon of Choice.

jbone

Hey Kalamazoo, born and raised there myself!

I'm only speaking from my 24 years in the Navy, and say I'd be looking up Base and other AF governing directives. Coming on a base OC? Good way to learn firsthand of the UCMJ, or if a civ/federal service employee a good way of learning about federal charges. This is info you need to get straight from the base, not on a forum. Excluding the points in the right direction for the info that may come from members.

Again from my years in, the only folks carrying at work on my base's were NCIS, and base security, and military security only when on duty. Off duty they have no official base LE status. Again only speaking from the base's I was on. But if I had to say, I say they'll never let you carry OC at work on the base! And base and AF policy will clearly define when you can bring a firearm onto base, and the procedures that must be followed when allowed. Good luck.

TyGuy

You have to check personal firearms in when entering base. That's a reason to live off base.

Remember when Maj Hasan allegedly killed all those people at Fort Hood? That was partly due to the fact that they were all unarmed while he wasn't.

BAMF

Not a good idea!! but in all fairness you wouldnt get to far on base OCing unless your on duty. ALL military instalations are federal property and they can look and search whatever they want because YOU consent to search by driveing onto the base.

OMGNameTaken

CC or OC on Whiteman AFB will git you in hot water quick. Of course, that is only if you get caught. With OC someone will turn you in in a heart beat if your even make it past the ECP.

Gunslinger

No guns, period. OC or CC are both prohibited on all Air Force bases, and to the best of my knowledge, any military base. Don't even try it or you will get a FPCON Charlie raised and a lot of unpleasant things happen to you.

jbone

Look like the consensus is no.

Unfortunately that's the military stance, no if and or buts. I still urge you to look up governing DOD, AF, and BASE instructions, directives, policy an so-on. This will give you a great info base to assist others in avoiding a bad situation one day. Good luck!

xdmcompact

The military does not trust you with a gun unless they are sending you somewhere you may not come back from. It makes no sense that our military are disarmed while on base.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Not a good idea!! but in all fairness you wouldnt get to far on base OCing unless your on duty. ALL military instalations are federal property and they can look and search whatever they want because YOU consent to search by driveing onto the base.

driving on base is not consent to search. during random vehicle checks they ask for consent. if you decline they request authority to search from the wing CC. at this point they may revoke your driving privileges on base.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Is It Legal?

I Work on WhiteMan AirForce Base and i would love to show up to work legally carring my Weapon of Choice.

you are only to carry a gun to defend the interests of your government. what makes you think that you/your family's lives are equally as important? silly airman.

i brought this problem up to my group CC when he visited my unit. he got upset, pointed his finger at me, and said "you have no rights. you gave up rights when you signed the dotted line. if you don't feel safe driving home at midnight without a gun then you should get a truck and move to a nicer area."

Last edited:

carry for myself

as previously mentioned. NO lol unless you really want to find out how brutal MP's can get if they believe there is a security threat lol

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
as previously mentioned. NO lol unless you really want to find out how brutal MP's can get if they believe there is a security threat lol

and by brutal MP's we're talking about 18 and 19 year olds jacked up on mountain dew with grenade launchers...

carry for myself

and by brutal MP's we're talking about 18 and 19 year olds jacked up on mountain dew with grenade launchers...

well im not sure what type of MP's they have at AF bases. but here in maine/NH at the naval ship yard we have 18-25 year olds with sig 9mms and expandable batons , who arnt affraid to use either. and probably wouldnt use them "sparringly" if needed :p

i knew a guy whos bunkmate was hospitalized at fort dix for approaching 2 MP's with a pool cue........dont wanna know what some of these hot headed kids would do to a MWAG lol especially after the Ft hood incident.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
well im not sure what type of MP's they have at AF bases. but here in maine/NH at the naval ship yard we have 18-25 year olds with sig 9mms and expandable batons , who arnt affraid to use either. and probably wouldnt use them "sparringly" if needed :p

i knew a guy whos bunkmate was hospitalized at fort dix for approaching 2 MP's with a pool cue........dont wanna know what some of these hot headed kids would do to a MWAG lol especially after the Ft hood incident.

I've seen A1C's at the gate at Tyndall AFB with M203 40mm grenade launchers attached to their M4/M16s... this is just on a regular day.

carry for myself

I've seen A1C's at the gate at Tyndall AFB with M203 40mm grenade launchers attached to their M4/M16s... this is just on a regular day.

ouch. thats going to hurt. yeahh yeahhh im sticking with the NOOOOOOO carry on any base period haha

peterarthur

I am surprised that any service member would ask. Remember, the Constitution does NOT protect the rights of service members. The Feds OWN you and all you have is the UCMJ.

Don't even think about it. I had a Marine Corps friend go to jail for leaning his M-16 against the car (he was E-5) while he put his gym bag in the car. He was accused (and jailed) for trying to transport a weapon that he had legally signed out of the armory for quals (need to be E-6 to transport). The military has ZERO tolerance when it comes to weapons. Talk to your squad leader before even bringing one of base for the exact procedures and/or paperwork.

Freedom 1st

driving on base is not consent to search. during random vehicle checks they ask for consent. if you decline they request authority to search from the wing CC. at this point they may revoke your driving privileges on base.

I work for a private construction firm out of mid-Missouri. I have performed worked on Whiteman, Ft. Wood, Leavenworth, McConnell, Ft Riley, Scott, Ft Hood, and Camp Lejune before and after 9-11.

I cannot even begin to tell you the times I have been searched in company and private vehicles. But I can tell you the times I have been asked to allow search, ZILCH, NADA, not even once. It usually goes something like this if they are going to search. Guard--"pop the hood, trunk, open all compartments, doors and step over here, have license, registration, and proof of insurance ready." And a "Thank-you" if if everything is acceptable. If you made a mistake and ended up, in entrance to a base and the guard allowed you to turn around to exit. I might buy that, but allowing you to leave just because they were going to search, I don't. I have heard horror stories of civilians being detained for hours just because they overlooked a couple live cartridges in a console, tried to bring their stash on base, ect. If your going to use that excuse you had better be spitting those words out while your driving up to the guard, not after they get ready to search.

Now I see that by your post you reside in Florida. If you are allowed to leave just because of the threat to search let me just say you have more freedoms, than the military bases in the midwest are allowing. I am not going to be dragged into the arguement of wether our military it is right or wrong, I am just calling it as I see it now. When you enter a military base, have all your ducks in a row. Leave the weapons/ammo elsewhere.

Last edited:

mechanicworkman

Having been in the Military as well and working at the Base I can tell you that Personally owned weapons are a no go for a civilian .Same thing like previous people said If you don't like it find another job or dont carry your gun with you on base. If your in the military and don't like it "TOUGH" when its time to get out don't sign another contract. I have seen our military going down hill for sometime. and not only in respect to gun rights .(this is nothing against the great men and women in the armed forces it the higher ups that make it stupidity) i in no way see them changing rules because of anyone below the base commander and good luck changing his mind. Nearly half of my entire 8 yrs i was in the military my weapons were kept in the arms room. talk about a pain in the ass to get them out to even go shooting and to tell them i was carrying it around for self defense yea right . I finally ended up keeping them at a friends house that lived off base still didn't like the idea but it was the best option only in my last 6 months did i discover a a shooting range that was open late that i could rent storage space at.

So open carry on a base NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

cobaltmarine

I am surprised that any service member would ask. Remember, the Constitution does NOT protect the rights of service members. The Feds OWN you and all you have is the UCMJ.

Don't even think about it. I had a Marine Corps friend go to jail for leaning his M-16 against the car (he was E-5) while he put his gym bag in the car. He was accused (and jailed) for trying to transport a weapon that he had legally signed out of the armory for quals (need to be E-6 to transport). The military has ZERO tolerance when it comes to weapons. Talk to your squad leader before even bringing one of base for the exact procedures and/or paperwork.

Just as a correction, Gov. owned Rifles are not allowed in POVs (privately owned vehicles) PERIOD. Only side arms are allowed to be transported by SNCO and up. As far as bringing a weapon on base, you can IF you have a legitimate reason AND you declare it at the gate. They will be extremely skeptical on what your reason would be though.