Thread: Rejected license plate - GUN

Thumbs down Rejected license plate - GUN

Is this really that offensive to be rejected? The driver wanted to use his first amendment to show that he exercises his second, yet it was denied...

44 MAGNM was also a denied plate. Why? I can only assume the person who had the opportunity to review these was another raised up in the public school system being taught the usual, "GUNS ARE BAD."
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

North Chesterfield VA

Applications must be submitted to the license plate agency for approval or rejection of license plate choices to ensure that obscene or objectionable choices are not processed.
    Since they do not provide criteria for the determination of what is "obscene" (I'll know it when I see it does not fly with SCOTUS any more) or "objectionable" (even more vague than obscene) I would FOIA them for the specific criteria used to determine just how they determine that. Here in Virginia there have been folks who took DMV to court to get the plate they wanted. Of course we also have a system where anybody can (even anonymously) submit a complaint about an already-issued tag, which will trigger a sort of recall hearing. Unfortunately, there does seem to be a bias in favor of most religiously-based personalized tags regardless of how objectionable they actually are. As you will see, even this article does not provide anything that comes close to criteria a reasonable person could follow and be assured of knowing in advance that their choice would or would not pass muster.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"

Wow ... I think I want one of these plates. hmm maybe "9mmglk"?
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

Quarryville, PA
    That is so stupid. Guess it is a Florida thing. My VA plates say SHOOT. I saw some that said ARSENAL. They should just approve the plates. Most states make extra money from vanity plates. They don't regulate bumper stickers....
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Warrenton, Oregon
    How much you wanna bet that "GUNSRBAD" would be allowed?
    Actually you ought to try it. If it did pass, then you would have ammo (pun intended) to fight for the other plate.
    Just a thought.

"Applications must be submitted to the license plate agency for approval or rejection of license plate choices to ensure that obscene or objectionable choices are not processed."

Sad day when the US Constitution is considered "obscene or objectionable"

In Illinois near St. Louis, MO

Thumbs up Illinois plates

Depending on whether the personalized plates are on a truck or a car, there is a max of 6 letters and one number (or any mix) as long as there is a number at the beginning (trucks) or the end (cars).
    Both my car and truck read NRA LF (NRA "Life").

Lexington, Ky
    If a person in Oklahoma can sue the DMV for rejecting a personalized license plate that would have read "IM GAY", and of course WIN the law suit, and change the DMV procedures to lessen what is and what is not objectionable, and obscene. I'm sure the person who wanted the "HASAGUN" license plate can do the same, and have the first amendment on his side even more.

Hmm, it's getting near time to renew my registration, I think I'll request a new license plate... How does "IM ARMED" sound?
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    I don't get it. Why would that be any more offensive than this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    i saw one here in maine that said "rubit"............seriously thats alot more offensive than a gun plate.......florida must be crazy. maine must be much less selective lol
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

In Illinois near St. Louis, MO

Exclamation NOT a good idea!

With the arrogance, paranoia, lack of legal knowledge we have seen in a variety of police officers (and departments) across the country, is it REALLY a good idea to have plates that read "IM ARMED" or "HASAGUN"?
    While in states like Illinois, that isn't a problem (for now!), consider what MIGHT have happened if a cop like that nutjob in Canton, OH had pulled over a car with plates like that!
    While my plates advertise that I support the NRA, it says nothing about whether or not I'm carrying.

Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    On the other hand, given it's common police procedure, one could argue in court that the owner of the vehicle, by purchasing that plate, volunteered information that the driver was armed.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland
    If you live in one of the many states that do NOT require a front tag, you can get a "vanity" plate made my this company to look like a "real" plate for your state, and get just about ANYTHING you want on it up to 9 characters.

I have a NC tag that says "OPENCARRY" and a MD tag that says "CRMNLGVMT".

They have engraved plastic plates for $20, and you can get embossed aluminum plates for $50.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964