• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rejected license plate - GUN

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
http://www.wtvr.com/news/sfl-rejected-florida-license-plates-pictures-2011,0,1092591.photogallery

402527740-29085923.jpg

Is this really that offensive to be rejected? The driver wanted to use his first amendment to show that he exercises his second, yet it was denied...

44 MAGNM was also a denied plate. Why? I can only assume the person who had the opportunity to review these was another raised up in the public school system being taught the usual, "GUNS ARE BAD."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.flhsmv.gov/specialtytags/pmlpfaq.html

Applications must be submitted to the license plate agency for approval or rejection of license plate choices to ensure that obscene or objectionable choices are not processed.

Since they do not provide criteria for the determination of what is "obscene" (I'll know it when I see it does not fly with SCOTUS any more) or "objectionable" (even more vague than obscene) I would FOIA them for the specific criteria used to determine just how they determine that. Here in Virginia there have been folks who took DMV to court to get the plate they wanted. Of course we also have a system where anybody can (even anonymously) submit a complaint about an already-issued tag, which will trigger a sort of recall hearing. Unfortunately, there does seem to be a bias in favor of most religiously-based personalized tags regardless of how objectionable they actually are. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/21/AR2010042105132.html As you will see, even this article does not provide anything that comes close to criteria a reasonable person could follow and be assured of knowing in advance that their choice would or would not pass muster.

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That is so stupid. Guess it is a Florida thing. My VA plates say SHOOT. I saw some that said ARSENAL. They should just approve the plates. Most states make extra money from vanity plates. They don't regulate bumper stickers....

Lord Sega

How much you wanna bet that "GUNSRBAD" would be allowed?
Actually you ought to try it. If it did pass, then you would have ammo (pun intended) to fight for the other plate.
Just a thought.

"Applications must be submitted to the license plate agency for approval or rejection of license plate choices to ensure that obscene or objectionable choices are not processed."

Sad day when the US Constitution is considered "obscene or objectionable"

DrakeZ07

If a person in Oklahoma can sue the DMV for rejecting a personalized license plate that would have read "IM GAY", and of course WIN the law suit, and change the DMV procedures to lessen what is and what is not objectionable, and obscene. I'm sure the person who wanted the "HASAGUN" license plate can do the same, and have the first amendment on his side even more.

Hmm, it's getting near time to renew my registration, I think I'll request a new license plate... How does "IM ARMED" sound?

carry for myself

i saw one here in maine that said "rubit"............seriously thats alot more offensive than a gun plate.......florida must be crazy. maine must be much less selective lol

Kirbinator

On the other hand, given it's common police procedure, one could argue in court that the owner of the vehicle, by purchasing that plate, volunteered information that the driver was armed.

Dreamer

If you live in one of the many states that do NOT require a front tag, you can get a "vanity" plate made my this company to look like a "real" plate for your state, and get just about ANYTHING you want on it up to 9 characters.

http://www.autoplates.com/_custom/engraved-state-license-plates/index2.php?premade=2

I have a NC tag that says "OPENCARRY" and a MD tag that says "CRMNLGVMT".

They have engraved plastic plates for $20, and you can get embossed aluminum plates for $50.