Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Carry in sports stadiums

  1. #1
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490

    Carry in sports stadiums

    I ref hockey a lot in the Cleveland area (from Michigan). My understanding is that long with the restaurant carry, carry in sports arenas has also been legalized. I'd like to mention something to staff at these places to take down their no gun signs if this is true. If someone could give a reference to maybe print out or just something to tell them to reference.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  2. #2
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I ref hockey a lot in the Cleveland area (from Michigan). My understanding is that long with the restaurant carry, carry in sports arenas has also been legalized. I'd like to mention something to staff at these places to take down their no gun signs if this is true. If someone could give a reference to maybe print out or just something to tell them to reference.
    Sports arenas as such were NEVER CPZs. They were only prohibited areas by virtue of them serving alcohol, or by being explicitly posted.

    With the change in the law, they can only be CPZs by virtue of them being so posted (or being in a government building, etc.).

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cuyahoga County, Ohio
    Posts
    219
    This could be a complicated subject depending on what level hockey you are a ref at and where the "arena" is located and who owns it and who may be leasing it.

    High school games would be off-limits because they are a "school activity". College games would be off-limits if the arena is on a college campus or owned by the college.

    Pro games may or may not be OK. For instance, a pro team leasing a city-owned facility might be legal if the team doesn't post a "no guns" sign. If they do, it's criminal trespassing.

    Youth and adult leagues would depend also on who owns and who is leasing. My city rec center has a rink. Not only does the high school team play there but also youth leagues. Even if the youth league didn't mind you carrying, you would have to walk through a city-owned building to get into the rink.

    I should add that I am not absolutely certain about the concept of a private organization leasing a government facility.
    Last edited by RT48; 10-09-2011 at 10:14 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by RT48 View Post
    This could be a complicated subject depending on what level hockey you are a ref at and where the "arena" is located and who owns it and who may be leasing it.

    High school games would be off-limits because they are a "school activity". College games would be off-limits if the arena is on a college campus or owned by the college.

    Pro games may or may not be OK. For instance, a pro team leasing a city-owned facility might be legal if the team doesn't post a "no guns" sign. If they do, it's criminal trespassing.

    Youth and adult leagues would depend also on who owns and who is leasing. My city rec center has a rink. Not only does the high school team play there but also youth leagues. Even if the youth league didn't mind you carrying, you would have to walk through a city-owned building to get into the rink.

    I should add that I am not absolutely certain about the concept of a private organization leasing a government facility.
    I ref youth hockey around Cleveland. Was at the Q, winterhurst, and gilmour academy over the weekend. Clearly Gilmour is a no go, winterhurst had the no gun sign. I have not been to a rink in Cleveland that doesn't have the sign though. In fact the only one that I haven't seen the gun sign is the Q (oddly enough). Euclid is another one that I see the sign.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cuyahoga County, Ohio
    Posts
    219
    I think Winterhurst is owned by the City of Lakewood.

  6. #6
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by RT48 View Post
    I think Winterhurst is owned by the City of Lakewood.
    My understanding is it used to be but is now private.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •