• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is they is, or is they aint???

amzbrady

It happened again. Thankfully I wasnt injured.

A thought struck me...

As I sit here, I am thinking of things mentioned in the past, and things that have happened recently. All of these things happening on private property.

Some examples:

Alexmayhem was asked to leave Albertsons by Kennewick Police. He was asked to leave private property by the local police dept after not being approached by any of Albertsons staff.

Somebody on here was asked to put his gun away at a movie theater on private property from a police officer, not by the theater staff.

Tom Brewster was approached and asked for ID on the private property at starbucks because of open carrying a firearm, which from what I understood was not initiated by the staff there.

The other day a lady without a license or insurance backed into one of our employees cars and the officer showed up and said she could not write a police report, ticket the lady or do anything else because the incedent happened on private property. This lady admitted to driving the vehicle, the only way into our parking lot is from a public road.

How can they enforce a "not" law when it comes to open carry, and not enforce a real law on private property? I was taught that rules of the road still applied to parking lots, turn signals, speed limits. If your car is vandalized in your driveway they will come and fill out a police report. Damage is damage, what differintiates what is reportable and what is not? If there is a domestic dispute, an officer will come on private property and sort things out.

This is where the dash cam thing would be cool in this area. The employee is a young kid who really didnt know what to do, so I told him the usual exchange info and get the officers info so that he could refer back to it.

He said he had forgot the cops name so I said hang on, I went out to ask her for her info, and on the way I snapped a photo of her license plate number. She hopped out of her vehicle and said "Here let me give you my card, this car is not tied to my name in any way". I asked her "Are you not assigned the car and have to check it out and back in?" She said "no", I was thinking well the dash cam could ID you but she seemed ignorant already, so I took the card and she wrote her sargeants name on the back which looks like ( Sgt Mos). This happened on the 5th and her name is Becca Jones.

I want to find some info on this cause this is the second one of our employees that have had their cars hit and been told that police do not have to file an incedent report. I had first thought well if it were vandalism that is done with on purpose, and an accident, well is an accident. But then I thought well even if the unlicensed, uninsured woman didnt mean to back into our employee, she drove the car on purpose without a license and insurance which makes this not an accident.

Any thoughts? <--- LOL

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Somebody on here was asked to put his gun away at a movie theater on private property from a police officer, not by the theater staff.

This one was me.

That is crazy. She admitted to breaking the law private property or not. The kid should take the woman to court with all of you as witnesses. Hopefully The judges will be on his side and make her pay for the damages.

amzbrady

This one was me.

That is crazy. She admitted to breaking the law private property or not. The kid should take the woman to court with all of you as witnesses. Hopefully The judges will be on his side and make her pay for the damages.

Most discerning to me was that the officer pulled out of the parking lot right after the unlicensed, uninsured driver and then sped up and quickly passed her. She let her drive away.

deanf

I was taught that rules of the road still applied to parking lots, turn signals, speed limits.

You were taught wrong. Absent negligence or recklessness (crimes), Title 46 violations cannot be enforced on private property.

I don't wear my seat belt on private property, nor do I stop at stop signs on private property if there is no reason to.

DCKilla

You were taught wrong. Absent negligence or recklessness (crimes), Title 46 violations cannot be enforced on private property.

I don't wear my seat belt on private property, nor do I stop at stop signs on private property if there is no reason to.
What he said. For the most part, anything goes in a private parking lot.

amzbrady

I will still follow the rules of the road in parking lots because it is the right thing to do, not because it is the law.

Difdi

It happened again. Thankfully I wasnt injured.

A thought struck me...

You gotta watch out for those. They have an alarming tendency to come back around for a second pass if you duck the first one though...

How can they enforce a "not" law when it comes to open carry, and not enforce a real law on private property? I was taught that rules of the road still applied to parking lots, turn signals, speed limits. If your car is vandalized in your driveway they will come and fill out a police report. Damage is damage, what differintiates what is reportable and what is not? If there is a domestic dispute, an officer will come on private property and sort things out.

Technically? They can only legally enforce actual laws, not what they believe to be laws in error. The problem is, many judges will rubber-stamp a 'Disobeying an Order' charge even if it is an unlawful order or even if obeying it would cause you to commit a crime. Likewise, arresting someone for not breaking any laws is, by definition, false arrest. But last I checked, the law doesn't permit you to resist an unlawful arrest, and doing that leads to criminal charges as well.

What differentiates reportable from not is the divide between criminal and civil law. Technically, as long as it's just a civil matter, the police have no duty to get involved at all. They can if they want to, but that generates paperwork, so a lot of them don't want to. They have to investigate accidents on actual roads, to see if any laws were broken, and they tend to oversee the public hazard of the accident site until it's cleared up. But unless the woman actually intended to collide with the other car, no laws were broken in that parking lot.

A domestic dispute usually involves at least a noise ordinance violation, and often includes assault, battery, etc. Those are things police are duty-bound to do something about.

I want to find some info on this cause this is the second one of our employees that have had their cars hit and been told that police do not have to file an incedent report. I had first thought well if it were vandalism that is done with on purpose, and an accident, well is an accident. But then I thought well even if the unlicensed, uninsured woman didnt mean to back into our employee, she drove the car on purpose without a license and insurance which makes this not an accident.

Technically they don't have to do a report unless the crash was deliberate vandalism or a high degree of negligence (how high is high? Endangers a person is about where it starts). You pretty much have to deliberately hit another car, or try to deliberately run someone over for a police report to be required. Streets are regulated, parking lots generally aren't, unless there is intent to commit a crime.

You say the cop ignored the lack of driver's license and insurance? The woman might have had them, and just told you she didn't to avoid being identifiable in court later on; If she showed them to the cop secretly, then the cop wouldn't be required to arrest her for the lack of them. People do stupid things under stress, and dishonesty makes everything worse.

Is it a misdemeanor in Washington for a cop to refuse to investigate a crime or make an arrest when confronted with a crime? If so, the cop broke the law, and you need to file a formal complaint, since whether the woman really did have license and/or insurance, you have a reasonable amount of proof that she does not.

sudden valley gunner

Technically? They can only legally enforce actual laws, not what they believe to be laws in error. The problem is, many judges will rubber-stamp a 'Disobeying an Order' charge even if it is an unlawful order or even if obeying it would cause you to commit a crime. Likewise, arresting someone for not breaking any laws is, by definition, false arrest. But last I checked, the law doesn't permit you to resist an unlawful arrest, and doing that leads to criminal charges as well.

Au Contraire mon frere! http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm

“An illegal arrest is an assault and battery. The person so attempted to be restrained of his liberty has the same right to use force in defending himself as he would in repelling any other assault and battery.” (State v. Robinson, 145 ME. 77, 72 ATL. 260).

“Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary.” Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306. This premise was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case: John Bad Elk v. U.S., 177 U.S. 529. The Court stated: “Where the officer is killed in the course of the disorder which naturally accompanies an attempted arrest that is resisted, the law looks with very different eyes upon the transaction, when the officer had the right to make the arrest, from what it does if the officer had no right. What may be murder in the first case might be nothing more than manslaughter in the other, or the facts might show that no offense had been committed.”

hermannr

My personal way of handling something like this is give it to the injured persons (the guy who's car was hit) insurance company, have what ever damage was done repaired under the unisured motorist clause, and then let the insurance company worry about recovering their money.

As for the police not filing a report...well, I guess that is up to them. Can they charge the uninsured lady? Not while she is on private property, unless she was stealing the car...but they can file a report.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Most discerning to me was that the officer pulled out of the parking lot right after the unlicensed, uninsured driver and then sped up and quickly passed her. She let her drive away.

This is America's police force. I mean seriously? WTF!? Unlicensed, uninsured, AND A BAD DRIVER and the cop just turns her head? Are you kidding me? It's like a big joke man.

amzbrady

You gotta watch out for those. They have an alarming tendency to come back around for a second pass if you duck the first one though...

What differentiates reportable from not is the divide between criminal and civil law. Technically, as long as it's just a civil matter, the police have no duty to get involved at all. They can if they want to, but that generates paperwork, so a lot of them don't want to. They have to investigate accidents on actual roads, to see if any laws were broken, and they tend to oversee the public hazard of the accident site until it's cleared up. But unless the woman actually intended to collide with the other car, no laws were broken in that parking lot.

A domestic dispute usually involves at least a noise ordinance violation, and often includes assault, battery, etc. Those are things police are duty-bound to do something about.

Not really, Warren v. District of Columbia[SUP]http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/#cite_note-0[/SUP]

Technically they don't have to do a report unless the crash was deliberate vandalism or a high degree of negligence (how high is high? Endangers a person is about where it starts). You pretty much have to deliberately hit another car, or try to deliberately run someone over for a police report to be required. Streets are regulated, parking lots generally aren't, unless there is intent to commit a crime.

You say the cop ignored the lack of driver's license and insurance? The woman might have had them, and just told you she didn't to avoid being identifiable in court later on; If she showed them to the cop secretly, then the cop wouldn't be required to arrest her for the lack of them. People do stupid things under stress, and dishonesty makes everything worse.

The driver handed the guy I work with Washington State ID. The officer told him that he needs to contact his insurance company with her information and let them handle this since she didnt have insurance.

This is why I have uninsured motorist on my insurance. There are way too many irresponsible, lowlifes on the road who drive with out insurance.

Is it a misdemeanor in Washington for a cop to refuse to investigate a crime or make an arrest when confronted with a crime?
If so, the cop broke the law, and you need to file a formal complaint, since whether the woman really did have license and/or insurance, you have a reasonable amount of proof that she does not.

Please cite???

sudden valley gunner

Only problem with this is that one's heirs may be the ones that have to deal with the legal fallout. Killing a Police Officer, even in Self Defense, may yield a response that ends up with the person "in the right" still ending up dead.

And why is that? Because of the continual militarization? Because of the immediate defense of a comrade by others in blue?

But still my point stands it is not "illegal" to resist false arrest. And if LEO took how far people are legally allowed to resist false arrest maybe we would have less of a police state and less fear of what you just mentioned happening.

amlevin

And why is that? Because of the continual militarization? Because of the immediate defense of a comrade by others in blue?

But still my point stands it is not "illegal" to resist false arrest. And if LEO took how far people are legally allowed to resist false arrest maybe we would have less of a police state and less fear of what you just mentioned happening.

The Police will always take steps to make sure that they have the upper hand. Be that in superior numbers when responding, or superior weaponry, they will usually come out on top.

Yes it might be legal to resist a "false arrest" but you know, the old saying, "Dead Right"?

Difdi

Not really, Warren v. District of Columbia[SUP]http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/#cite_note-0[/SUP]

You misread what I wrote. Go back and read it. Nowhere did I say the police would be duty-bound to intervene, though I could have stated it more clearly. They are however duty bound to investigate crimes, since those are offenses against the laws of the city, county, state or nation, whether they also have an actual victim or not.

The driver handed the guy I work with Washington State ID. The officer told him that he needs to contact his insurance company with her information and let them handle this since she didnt have insurance.

This is why I have uninsured motorist on my insurance. There are way too many irresponsible, lowlifes on the road who drive with out insurance.

Okay, but that wasn't in your post that I replied to (or I wouldn't have said it).

Please cite???

Um...cite what? I asked a question, how do you cite a question?