• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Press Release - OpenCarry.org disappointed in Gov. Brown's signing of open carry ban

Mike

Site Co-Founder
OpenCarry.org disappointed in Governor Brown's signing of open carry handgun ban

Predicts that result will be widespread open carry of long guns in California's urban areas

"It's dissapointing that Governor Brown has signed AB 144. The new law forces citizens to open carry long guns in urban public places where holstered handguns are now the norm in California and 42 other states. AB 144 also adds even further complexity to California's already convoluted gun laws that confuse citizens and law enforcement officers alike. But on the bright side, banning handgun open carry undermines the constitutionality of California's discretionary concealed handgun permit scheme."

Mike Stollenwerk
co-founder, OpenCarry.org

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
what are the consequences of this ridiculous bill? how will this effect activities like hunting with a handgun?

good luck california brothers, we stand in solidarity. if this is challenged in court, open a legal fund and i'm sure we will all pitch in what we can. an infringement in california can set a bad precedent for the rest of the US

Last edited:

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
There are dozens of exceptions to the law. Among them are hunting exceptions. There's also an exception for rural public lands that permit firearms (NF, BLM, NP, etc.).

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
LGOC & "Kali" that's cool; thanks Gov. Brown you are an A$$HAT!

Knowing these dirt bags it won't be long before they find a way to weasel / wordsmith / litigate [on the taxpayers dime $$$] a way to strip them of this RIGHT guaranteed under the 2A.

Last edited:

Concordian

Are long guns subject to the 1000 foot law as well?

I am ready to start carrying my 12 Gauge in protest. the question is: Driving to and fro does the long gun need to be locked up within 1000 feet of a school. There is no facility for that in most pick-up trucks. I am looking forward to the arguments in the Peruta appeal. The lower court judge cited the UOC law as a reason that his 2A rights were intact.
Thank you Lord for keeping me from writing what I truly think.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I am ready to start carrying my 12 Gauge in protest. the question is: Driving to and fro does the long gun need to be locked up within 1000 feet of a school. There is no facility for that in most pick-up trucks. I am looking forward to the arguments in the Peruta appeal. The lower court judge cited the UOC law as a reason that his 2A rights were intact.
Thank you Lord for keeping me from writing what I truly think.

Your enthusiasm to carry a long gun is premature. The law wont be in effect until 1-1-12. You will be able to UOC a hand gun until then. While the California school zone law does not include long guns, Federal law does necessitate long guns be in a locked rack or container.