| Associated Press

State & Local - POLITICS
    California Gov. Enacts Ban on Open Handgun Carrying

Published October 10, 2011

| Associated Press

Print
    Email
    Comments

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown's says he has signed a measure that bans the open carrying of handguns in California.

The law, AB144, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in a public place.

The governor's office made the announcement in a statement early Monday morning. Brown has been rushing to sign dozens of measures sent to him by lawmakers.

Top California law enforcement officials supported the legislation.

The Los Angeles Times reports that Brown said he had "listened to the police chiefs."

Supporters say the only person who knows whether the gun is loaded is the person carrying the gun. Opponents say the bill is one of many assaults on the public's Second Amendment rights.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1aNcMznVz

Welcome to Amerika.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Quote Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
    And then signs into law OC of test books by criminal illegal aliens, funded by American tax dollars. Shouldn't Brown be on Janet’s list?

Quote Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...dgun-carrying/

| Associated Press

State & Local - POLITICS

| Associated Press

Print
    Email
    Comments

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown's says he has signed a measure that bans the open carrying of handguns in California.

The law, AB144, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in a public place.

The governor's office made the announcement in a statement early Monday morning. Brown has been rushing to sign dozens of measures sent to him by lawmakers.

Top California law enforcement officials supported the legislation.

The Los Angeles Times reports that Brown said he had "listened to the police chiefs."

Supporters say the only person who knows whether the gun is loaded is the person carrying the gun. Opponents say the bill is one of many assaults on the public's Second Amendment rights.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1aNcMznVz
    Looking at the fact the police are allowed to search people's firearms for ammo (against 4th amendment) how is the person carrying it the only one who knows its unloaded. Besides it would be illegal to carry a loaded gun in a city with a population of, I believe, 200,000? It's my understanding that as long as the city has a population of less than 200,000 loaded OC is legal. Not that this is good or right but at least that is still an option in smaller cities.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Angry

bullsh*t!!!!!

A sad day for gun rights. Someone is going to have to challenge this in the courts.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    A sad day for gun rights. Someone is going to have to challenge this in the courts.
    if Illinois can get away with having no possible way to carry, then California can get away with banning open carry.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    Welcome to Amerika.
    No, they left years ago. Now they are filing for custody.

Banned
    Like I said, your rights are a myth. All it takes is a stroke of the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Like I said, your rights are a myth. All it takes is a stroke of the pen.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Banned
    Lol, but... Im not a hugger, ew.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    if Illinois can get away with having no possible way to carry, then California can get away with banning open carry.
    Yea, well we can hope. Even an injunction stopping the bill from going into effect would be a helpful start... I know, I'm dreaming...
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Clali is one of the most anti gun states there is, it was only a matter of time before they had that right stripped as well.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

i hate it when the movement goes backwards. i had hoped there would be 50 state CC and OC by now.

Maybe this is a temporary setback that might actually be a GOOD thing. In a recent court decision, Peruta v County of San Diego, the judge ruled that California's may-issue concealed carry requirements were not a violation of the 2nd Amendment because people could always carry an unloaded pistol openly and load it if needed for defense. Now, with that possibility removed, I think the court may reconsider their decision. I haven't taken a look at the California sub-forum of OCDO today, but I'm sure there will be discussion as to how they will proceed. The original decision can be found here:
    http://ia600406.us.archive.org/23/it...08678.64.0.pdf
    Last edited by DrTodd; 10-10-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

With the current issues regarding OC that the CADL is pushing, trying to ban it and all, we better be prepared for a fight here in MI incase they decide CA is right in their decision to ban OC all together.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Maybe this is a temporary setback that might actually be a GOOD thing. In a recent court decision, Peruta v County of San Diego, the judge ruled that California's may-issue concealed carry requirements were not a violation of the 2nd Amendment because people could always carry an unloaded pistol openly and load it if needed for defense. Now, with that possibility removed, I think the court may reconsider their decision. I haven't taken a look at the California sub-forum of OCDO today, but I'm sure there will be discussion as to how they will proceed. The original decision can be found here:
    Yeah I was thinking about that. I know that argument was brought up to the legislators when they were considering the bill. I guess the proponents of the bill sat there with a "huh" on their face when told they were gonna force the state to a shall issue.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Looks like hes not stopping with 2nd amendment rights.......

Banned
    You're right Yance, we are on a slippery slope in Michigan already.

such a shame!

but Jerry Brown is way off to the left, no I think its the right, wait i think its the left...............whooooo im dizzy
    Last edited by Onnie; 10-11-2011 at 12:15 AM.
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

I know some people in that area... gonna make some calls tonight.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I don't think it's a setback at all but rather a stepping stone.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

6 killed in salon shooting

boy, i guess he banned those open carry guns just in time:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...salon-14723890
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    boy, i guess he banned those open carry guns just in time:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...salon-14723890
    Taken from the article. "It's a little disarming," she said. "This is such a quiet community. We don't expect things like this."

I remember another quote like this regarding the IHop shooting...funny how it happens where the antis believe no one needs a gun...And yet they still want to ban them. I just cant begin to comprehend how the antis and the brady campaign jokers can believe taking away everyones guns will make people safe. Mass shootings always seem to happen exactly where people, and even states, think no one will need a gun. When will these people open their eyes to the fact that if someone had one they could have saved maybe one life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    Taken from the article. "It's a little disarming," she said. "This is such a quiet community. We don't expect things like this."

I remember another quote like this regarding the IHop shooting...funny how it happens where the antis believe no one needs a gun...And yet they still want to ban them. I just cant begin to comprehend how the antis and the brady campaign jokers can believe taking away everyones guns will make people safe. Mass shootings always seem to happen exactly where people, and even states, think no one will need a gun. When will these people open their eyes to the fact that if someone had one they could have saved maybe one life.
    In the Nevada IHOP shooting someone did have a gun, choose not to shoot the shooter though. My understanding is they weren't in the IHOP though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast