• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California Gov. Enacts Ban on Open Handgun Carrying

alphamale

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/10/california-gov-enacts-ban-on-open-handgun-carrying/

Published October 10, 2011

| Associated Press

State & Local - POLITICS

| Associated Press

Print
Email
Comments

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown's says he has signed a measure that bans the open carrying of handguns in California.

The law, AB144, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in a public place.

The governor's office made the announcement in a statement early Monday morning. Brown has been rushing to sign dozens of measures sent to him by lawmakers.

Top California law enforcement officials supported the legislation.

The Los Angeles Times reports that Brown said he had "listened to the police chiefs."

Supporters say the only person who knows whether the gun is loaded is the person carrying the gun. Opponents say the bill is one of many assaults on the public's Second Amendment rights.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-ban-on-open-handgun-carrying/#ixzz1aNcMznVz

jbone

And then signs into law OC of test books by criminal illegal aliens, funded by American tax dollars. Shouldn't Brown be on Janet’s list?

xmanhockey7

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/10/california-gov-enacts-ban-on-open-handgun-carrying/

| Associated Press

State & Local - POLITICS

| Associated Press

Print
Email
Comments

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown's says he has signed a measure that bans the open carrying of handguns in California.

The law, AB144, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in a public place.

The governor's office made the announcement in a statement early Monday morning. Brown has been rushing to sign dozens of measures sent to him by lawmakers.

Top California law enforcement officials supported the legislation.

The Los Angeles Times reports that Brown said he had "listened to the police chiefs."

Supporters say the only person who knows whether the gun is loaded is the person carrying the gun. Opponents say the bill is one of many assaults on the public's Second Amendment rights.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-ban-on-open-handgun-carrying/#ixzz1aNcMznVz

Looking at the fact the police are allowed to search people's firearms for ammo (against 4th amendment) how is the person carrying it the only one who knows its unloaded. Besides it would be illegal to carry a loaded gun in a city with a population of, I believe, 200,000? It's my understanding that as long as the city has a population of less than 200,000 loaded OC is legal. Not that this is good or right but at least that is still an option in smaller cities.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
A sad day for gun rights. Someone is going to have to challenge this in the courts.

if Illinois can get away with having no possible way to carry, then California can get away with banning open carry.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Like I said, your rights are a myth. All it takes is a stroke of the pen.

images

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
if Illinois can get away with having no possible way to carry, then California can get away with banning open carry.

Yea, well we can hope. Even an injunction stopping the bill from going into effect would be a helpful start... I know, I'm dreaming...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Maybe this is a temporary setback that might actually be a GOOD thing. In a recent court decision, Peruta v County of San Diego, the judge ruled that California's may-issue concealed carry requirements were not a violation of the 2nd Amendment because people could always carry an unloaded pistol openly and load it if needed for defense. Now, with that possibility removed, I think the court may reconsider their decision. I haven't taken a look at the California sub-forum of OCDO today, but I'm sure there will be discussion as to how they will proceed. The original decision can be found here:
http://ia600406.us.archive.org/23/items/gov.uscourts.casd.308678/gov.uscourts.casd.308678.64.0.pdf

Last edited:

Yance

With the current issues regarding OC that the CADL is pushing, trying to ban it and all, we better be prepared for a fight here in MI incase they decide CA is right in their decision to ban OC all together.

xmanhockey7

Maybe this is a temporary setback that might actually be a GOOD thing. In a recent court decision, Peruta v County of San Diego, the judge ruled that California's may-issue concealed carry requirements were not a violation of the 2nd Amendment because people could always carry an unloaded pistol openly and load it if needed for defense. Now, with that possibility removed, I think the court may reconsider their decision. I haven't taken a look at the California sub-forum of OCDO today, but I'm sure there will be discussion as to how they will proceed. The original decision can be found here:
http://ia600406.us.archive.org/23/items/gov.uscourts.casd.308678/gov.uscourts.casd.308678.64.0.pdf

Yeah I was thinking about that. I know that argument was brought up to the legislators when they were considering the bill. I guess the proponents of the bill sat there with a "huh" on their face when told they were gonna force the state to a shall issue.

Onnie

such a shame!

but Jerry Brown is way off to the left, no I think its the right, wait i think its the left...............whooooo im dizzy

Last edited: