• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Banned in California

badkarma

It is good to see that their tax dollars are hard at work fighting real crime. Like Open Carry. Because we know how much trouble thos Open Carry hoodlims cause.

skyisfalling

I am very sad.
I have been planning my trip California.
I have already spent $100 to make my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 Cali legal and
$200 in 10 round mags for my hand guns.

I am limited to 60 days. After 2 months you are considered a weapons importer
and must resister your handguns.
Gov. Brown also signed long gun registration bill.

We all know what happens next, after gun registration.

I wonder how many people walk "strapped" in Cali.

Drazhar Rakarth

I know this is the WA forum, but not all of us venture outside of this area to see what is happening in the OC Department in the rest of the Country. This came down the wire today:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rnia_Gov._Enacts_Ban_on_Open_Handgun_Carrying

It was reported on my site by a fellow OCDO member Mad Pick.

and we wonder why people don't want to live there. Lawsuit incoming most likely by the SAF. It was brought to my attention that since they banned open carry, mayhaps they'll go shall issue for permits, or do they have to now since OC is illegal? They can't BAN carry, it's a 2nd amendment right, period! Shall not be infringed ... I guess the Peoples Republik of Kommiefornia thinks themselves better. They won't for long.

Sharpender

It's such BS that Brown "listened to the police chiefs" instead of common sense. I hate being a law abiding citizen, considering myself to be on the same side as the police, and have something like this happen. What happened to the partnership between law enforcement and law abiding citizens? I too was born and raised in CA, I have no plans for a return visit.

Badger Johnson

It's such BS that Brown "listened to the police chiefs" instead of common sense. I hate being a law abiding citizen, considering myself to be on the same side as the police, and have something like this happen. What happened to the partnership between law enforcement and law abiding citizens? I too was born and raised in CA, I have no plans for a return visit.

IMO, this is Brown abrogating his responsibility and putting it on the police chiefs, who we all know are straight arrows, and who tell it like it is. Those OC hoodlums are the bane of the existence of the elite LEOs, but shall no more darken their doors.

DEROS72

Gov. Brown signs open carry ban in CA; Washington has protections

Open carry advocates are fuming with the news that California Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation banning the open carry of unloaded handguns, a situation that does not portend gloom or doom for Washington State open carriers.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...-open-carry-ban-ca-washington-has-protections

I lived in Ca. for a while and will never go back.Even though I have 2 daughters that still live in Palm Springs.although I don't believe our Open Carry rights are under immediate threat we will have to stay diligent .Represent this right in a proper manner without the in your face attitude ,drop holsters,big oversize carry guns,tactical gear etc. that totally will turn people the other way.Many of us Nick,Bill,Jon,Squeak etc.find that much of the time we are out most folks don't even notice.I see too many sometime trying to get noticed and that is unacceptable and that is what will get folks turning against open carry.It was in Starbucks there that they started drawing attention to themselves.We got a different reaction here in Wa.

Here is once again the KING 5 article regarding Starbucks FOR THE NEW GUYS HERE THAT HAVEN'T SEEN THIS.
http://www.king5.com/news/business/...bies-to-ban-guns-from-Starbucks-84142442.html
We have made great strides in this state to begin normalizing open carry so we need to keep it up and keep watching our backs.And try not to get noticed.If thats the case and one keeps drawing attention to themselves then we really don't have any use for you.That would undo all that so many have worked for.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

I lived in Ca. for a while and will never go back.Even though I have 2 daughters that still live in Palm Springs.although I don't believe our Open Carry rights are under immediate threat we will have to stay diligent .Represent this right in a proper manner without the in your face attitude ,drop holsters,big oversize carry guns,tactical gear etc. that totally will turn people the other way.Many of us Nick,Bill,Jon,Squeak etc.find that much of the time we are out most folks don't even notice.I see too many sometime trying to get noticed and that is unacceptable and that is what will get folks turning against open carry.It was in Starbucks there that they started drawing attention to themselves.We got a different reaction here in Wa.

Here is once again the KING 5 article regarding Starbucks FOR THE NEW GUYS HERE THAT HAVEN'T SEEN THIS.
http://www.king5.com/news/business/...bies-to-ban-guns-from-Starbucks-84142442.html
We have made great strides in this state to begin normalizing open carry so we need to keep it up and keep watching our backs.And try not to get noticed.If thats the case and one keeps drawing attention to themselves then we really don't have any use for you.That would undo all that so many have worked for.

With all due respect Jim, I don't think the goal is to not be noticed. The goal is to not draw NEGATIVE attention. We do need to draw some attention though. If we don't then it won't be normalized. Not drawing any attention is no different than concealing. We need more POSITIVE attention. So next time anyone of us has an opportunity to do a good deed for a stranger or the next time we get to clean up the freeway, I would hope to see maximum participation. We all just need to do our parts, to not just go about our business, but to proactively seek opportunities to help others. THAT is how we change society's view of gun owners.

amlevin

When Brown was Governor before he had the nickname "Moonbeam". Now there was a guy who definitely "inhaled".

California is like a giant fungus. If we're not careful their politics will spread far and wide. Look for similar attempts here. Complacency would be a major mistake.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
The reason for the ban is because they can't tell if the gun is loaded. Just change the OC law to be similar our OC law in WA to allow loaded guns, then they know it's loaded. Problem solved.

massivedesign

The reason for the ban is because they can't tell if the gun is loaded. Just change the OC law to be similar our OC law in WA to allow loaded guns, then they know it's loaded. Problem solved.

That is so insane. That's like saying "I can't tell if the driver of that car had a drivers license, so we'll just outlaw driving of cars".

Drazhar Rakarth

Shall not be infringed ...

They are just looking for reasons. They can justify themselves anyway they want. It's still wrong. Between Fast and Furious, THIS, and the gooberment as a whole, I'm really truly wondering what hope we have as Americans? Thank God we can vote them all out... if America is smart enough.

Difdi

Shall not be infringed ...

They are just looking for reasons. They can justify themselves anyway they want. It's still wrong. Between Fast and Furious, THIS, and the gooberment as a whole, I'm really truly wondering what hope we have as Americans? Thank God we can vote them all out... if America is smart enough.

I looked up the California state Constitution. I couldn't find anything in it about a right to bear arms, but there's quite a bit about the death penalty not being cruel or unusual, and there was a bit about forbidding either gay marriage or recognizing such marriages performed elsewhere, but nothing about guns.

If a state Constitution is subordinate to the federal one, and the state one has NOTHING whatsoever about keeping or bearing arms, does this mean the federal one applies to the state verbatim?

Drazhar Rakarth

I looked up the California state Constitution. I couldn't find anything in it about a right to bear arms, but there's quite a bit about the death penalty not being cruel or unusual, and there was a bit about forbidding either gay marriage or recognizing such marriages performed elsewhere, but nothing about guns.

If a state Constitution is subordinate to the federal one, and the state one has NOTHING whatsoever about keeping or bearing arms, does this mean the federal one applies to the state verbatim?

+1!

Federal Level > State Level! I don't understand why the government doesn't see the common sense in that!

Difdi

Federal Level > State Level! I don't understand why the government doesn't see the common sense in that!

Tenth amendment, mainly.

It would kinda suck for the federal level 2nd amendment to overwrite Washington's Article 1, Section 24 automatically, since the state constitution provides for a stronger right to keep and bear arms than the 2nd amendment does.