• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Be prepared to stand up for yourself.

gunrunner1911

While this isn't an open carry incident it is a reminder to be prepared to exercise your rights and stand your ground.
I was at work the other day and 3 sheriffs deputies show up looking for a couple of guys that were involved in an incident the previous day. They were simply investigating a complaint and wanted to talk to the people they knew were involved but because they knew there were more people involved then they had names for they were going to talk to everyone. I had absolutely nothing to do with this incident.
I was contacted by a deputy who asked who I was and said he needed to talk to me. My response was to give my name and then state I had nothing to do with the incident.
Deputy Were going to have to talk to you. Do you have ID.
Myself I have properly identified myself to you and I have no reason to talk with you.
Deputy Oh really Were going to talk just stand over there.
Myself Why are you detaining me? What is your RAS to believe I'm involved?
Deputy Just stand over there.
Myself I'm going back to work. I turned to renenter the building.
2nd Deputy Stay outside no one is to go back inside.
Myself Are you detaining me?
2 Deputy I'm giving you an order to stay here.
Myself Are you detaining me? If you are then I will stay if you are not then it is not a lawfull order and I have no obligation to obey it. this seems to be a consensual encounter and I no longer consent to it.
I left and went back inside and listened to the them discuss the situation. They did run my name found out I wasn't wanted and I had a CCW. They then suggested to my coworkers that I didn't like my CCW much and how they would be dealing with me by charging me with " INTERFERING WITH AN INVESTIGATION" and arresting me.
They were really turning the heat up a trying to get people to talk to them.

Had they been a little nicer instead of trying to push their authority around I might have explained to them my non involvement but they were going to play the role. They really got upset when I turned it against them. I'm almost glad I left my gun in the car that day just because of the reaction they might have had to the presence of the firearm.
Be prepared even when not carrying or expecting an encounter.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I know you were at work, but were you recording? This seems to be another case in which the police try to assert their authority where it does not belong. Good for you for standing up for yourself.

Fallschirjmäger

Myself Why are you detaining me? What is your RAS to believe I'm involved?
Deputy Just stand over there.
Myself Are you detaining me?
2 Deputy I'm giving you an order to stay here.

From the phrases they used, it seems to be quite clear that they realized they were Not detaining you, had no Reasonable Articulable Suspicion to detain you, and that they really, Really didn't want to have to admit it to you.
If they had suspicion or probable cause, I'm pretty sure they would have taken some sort of action after your "defiance" of their authority.

I'm kinda fuzzy on the whole "walking away" equates to interfering thing. I think almost anyone could differentiate between non-cooperation and interference... Well...Almost anyone.

Last edited:

gunrunner1911

Unfortunately there was no recording until it was too late and they were putting a guy in the car and were done. Once again I was simply at work doing my job and I had even forgot to strap up that morning. I was running late and just left the holstered piece in the vehicle. I carry 99% of the time either concealed or open and it just so happens it was one of those 1% days. I failed this Boy Scout test for sure. My day is usually uneventful at work finding myself mostly with a wrench in my hand fixing one of the owners Hummers, it's fairly boring until someone plays a prank or an actual real problem occurs. When someone says "Hey the cops are outside" I'm not the suspicious type to hide or run or have fear that I might be going to jail. I'm usually pretty easy going with them especially due to prior experience which has been good.
The agency was Washoe County Sheriffs who for the most part I have had a good relationship with. Aside from their lack of organisation in records when it comes to CCW the enforcement side has been pleasant. The last deputy was comical in the fact that after stopping me and getting my info he looked at the Hummer plastered with the business name and advertising and jokingly said " I guess I don't have to ask if you any guns in the vehicle" It was said in such a way that I actually joked back and said "absolutely about 20". He never wrote me and gave me directions and treated me as a citizen and human being. I'm friendly with a formr deputy who lives near me. I got to like talking with the deputy who comes out as a dept rep to our neighborhood meetings.
I was a little taken back by the "metro" attitude exibited in this instance. The norm has been that of friendly neighborhood small town country cop.
I will admit if it had taken more of a conversational turn I would have been more receptive and maybe more cooperative but in this case it was a get what you give.