• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Could use a little help.

Tucker6900

Hey all,
I am looking for some insight.

There is a building in town that is owned 100% by the city. There is an organization that is leasing the building from the city. Now, with that in mind.

Can the organization that is leasing the building make rules that overrule state law?

Since the building is owned by the city, do the laws and ordinances of the city and state apply?

Any and all forms of case law, legal codes welcome.

Thanks ahead of time for the information.

since9

Campaign Veteran
There is a building in town that is owned 100% by the city. There is an organization that is leasing the building from the city. Now, with that in mind.

Can the organization that is leasing the building make rules that overrule state law?

No.

Since the building is owned by the city, do the laws and ordinances of the city and state apply?

Yes.

Any and all forms of case law, legal codes welcome.

Sounds like the lessee is doing something you don't like, and that if the building were inhabited by city personnel itself, they wouldn't be allowed to do it. Am I close?

In any respect, we'll need a lot more information before anyone can definitively say there's something wrong, here. Just because the laws apply doesn't mean they're being violated. Laws which prohibit the city and city personnel from doing something may or may not apply to the lessee. It depends on the nature of the lessee's business, whether they're working directly, partially, or not at all for the city. It also depends on laws specific to that city and state.

So:

1. Which city and state?

2. What's the nature of the lessee's business?

3. Do you have any access to the lease? That's vital in terms of finding out if there are any provisions in the lease which bind the lessee.

amaixner

You may as well put in a link to the identical thread you started about this in the Iowa forum, so people can read the information there also.