Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOCA Name Change

Accomplished Advocate

MOCA Name Change

Hey everybody,
    we are currently looking to change the name of the Maine Open Carry Association to something more CCW applicable. We will still have OC motivation, but we will also, like we already do protect CCW as well. A few names that we have been throwing around are: Constitutional Carry America, Citizens for Constitutional Carry and simple Constitutional Carry. opinions? anyone have other name ideas?

I like citizens of America for constatunal carry myself

You could go with a classic... Maine Citizens Defense League

On another note, does MOCA have decent name recognition in Maine? Would it confuse people to change your name. Just something to think about.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-10-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Constitutionally Armed Public (CAP)
    Constitutionally Armed Maine Public (CAMP)
    Maine Armed Public (MAP)
    Legally Armed Maine People (LAMP)
    Legally Armed Citizens To Advocate Total Equality (LACTATE) <-Joke
    Armed Maine People (AMP)
    Restore Our Armed Rights (ROAR)
    Restore Armed Maine Public (RAMP)
    Legally Armed Public (LAP)
    Constitutionally Armed Citizens Against People Ordering Others (CACAPOO) <-- LOL
    Last edited by boyscout399; 10-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Maine constatutional carry association?
    Maine association for gun rights
    Maine association for constitutional carry
    Last edited by thacountyhick; 10-10-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post

On another note, does MOCA have decent name recognition in Maine? Would it confuse people to change your name. Just something to think about.
    i like this on!!!

XD-OVER

Accomplished Advocate

the problems that we are facing is partially because of our name. People think that we only deal with open carry, which is completely incorrect. We are trying to change it with a new name.

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    the problems that we are facing is partially because of our name. People think that we only deal with open carry, which is completely incorrect. We are trying to change it with a new name.
    Oh, I agree a name change makes sense. A new name would be more inclusive of all firearms lovers. I was just concerned that folks might already be aware of MOCA and a name change might confuse some of the slower folks.

oh, i agree a name change makes sense. A new name would be more inclusive of all firearms lovers. I was just concerned that folks might already be aware of moca and a name change might confuse some of the slower folks.
    who is the slower folks???????????????

Xd-over

Quote Originally Posted by crdonov View Post
    who is the slower folks???????????????

Xd-over
    No one here... I was just referring to those folks who potentially might not understand or follow the name change. For example, those folks who are aware of MOCA but don't really follow them and might not realize they are the same group if they change the name to MCDL or whatever.

no one here... I was just referring to those folks who potentially might not understand or follow the name change. For example, those folks who are aware of moca but don't really follow them and might not realize they are the same group if they change the name to mcdl or whatever.
    ok!!!

Xd-over

More I think about it the more I like Maine citizens defense league, has a good ring to it
    Last edited by thacountyhick; 10-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thacountyhick View Post
    More I think about it the more I like Maine civil defense league, has a good ring to it
    In my opinion it sounds too militia like. I see MOCA as more of a civil rights organization and PAC for change than a militia.

Where is everybody?

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    In my opinion it sounds too militia like. I see MOCA as more of a civil rights organization and PAC for change than a militia.
    VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League) started out as Northern Virginia Citizens Defense League and then went statewide when it was realized there were folks who did not live in NoVa who supported the concept. And their initial purpose was to move concealed carry from "may issue" to "shall issue". They quickly realized that it is not just about OC, or just CC, or just hunting, or just target shooting, or any single issue - it's about defending all 2A rights.

Since then organizations using the VCDL structure as name as a model have organized as A[rizona]ZCDL,
    C[onnecticutt]CDL, W[est]V[irginia]CDL, N[orth]W[est]CDL, L[one]S[tar]CDL, M[aryland]CDL, and I[daho]CDL, just to name the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

This is not so much to support M[aine]CDL as a name as it is to refute your contention that it carries a negative malitia-like sound usually associated with paranoid freaks running around in the woods plotting the overthrow of something. "x" Citizens Defense League brings with it some powerful name association, which is an additional factor to consider.

But whatever you decide to call yourself, I wish you all the success possible.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League) started out as Northern Virginia Citizens Defense League and then went statewide when it was realized there were folks who did not live in NoVa who supported the concept. And their initial purpose was to move concealed carry from "may issue" to "shall issue". They quickly realized that it is not just about OC, or just CC, or just hunting, or just target shooting, or any single issue - it's about defending all 2A rights.

Since then organizations using the VCDL structure as name as a model have organized as A[rizona]ZCDL,
    C[onnecticutt]CDL, W[est]V[irginia]CDL, N[orth]W[est]CDL, L[one]S[tar]CDL, M[aryland]CDL, and I[daho]CDL, just to name the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

This is not so much to support M[aine]CDL as a name as it is to refute your contention that it carries a negative malitia-like sound usually associated with paranoid freaks running around in the woods plotting the overthrow of something. "x" Citizens Defense League brings with it some powerful name association, which is an additional factor to consider.

But whatever you decide to call yourself, I wish you all the success possible.

stay safe.
    I know that the CDL has no militia qualities, and I support them. I just think that to an outside (especially liberal) person, it may turn them off before they even get to know us. I also believe that the possibility exists, however slight, that if one is associated with an organization calling itself a Citizens Defense League and one has to use their firearm defensively, that an overzealous prosecutor is going to paint you as a militia member who was looking to get into a gunfight.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I know that the CDL has no militia qualities, and I support them. I just think that to an outside (especially liberal) person, it may turn them off before they even get to know us. I also believe that the possibility exists, however slight, that if one is associated with an organization calling itself a Citizens Defense League and one has to use their firearm defensively, that an overzealous prosecutor is going to paint you as a militia member who was looking to get into a gunfight.
    Over zealous prosecutor taking this tact is going to be seriously embarrassed. Defense of one self is at the core values of this nation. I would point out that VCDL uses a Minute Man in the center of our logo and that no prosecutor has ever attempted to make a negative out of that.

Do we in any way espouse being a para-military organization? Absolutely not.

Based on the number of other states that have selected to mirror the _CDL image, I'd have to conclude that they give no credence to that concern. There is a thing as being to cautious to the perceptions of others. Consider in this case the high recognition factor.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Over zealous prosecutor taking this tact is going to be seriously embarrassed. Defense of one self is at the core values of this nation. I would point out that VCDL uses a Minute Man in the center of our logo and that no prosecutor has ever attempted to make a negative out of that.

Do we in any way espouse being a para-military organization? Absolutely not.

Based on the number of other states that have selected to mirror the _CDL image, I'd have to conclude that they give no credence to that concern. There is a thing as being to cautious to the perceptions of others. Consider in this case the high recognition factor.
    The problem as I see it is the recognition factor. I don't believe a sampling from the general public of Maine that would make up a jury is going to recognize the various CDLs as non-militia. When given no other information other than the name, it sounds militia-ish.

I'm in no way criticizing other state's choice in a name, I'm merely vetting concerns of choosing this same name as Maine's group. Perhaps recognition in Virginia's public is better than recognition in Maine's public. But I know if I stopped a random sampling of people in Portland and asked them what they thought the Maine Citizen's Defense League was, I bet 9/10 would think it's a militia. In comparison Maine Open Carry Association does not carry the same connotation. I don't think that MOCA's vibe is that great either. Most outside people I think don't take us seriously as a force for change.

I make that statement from my experiences talking to state legislators last year, and in presenting myself to city council meetings in Portland and South Portland. They don't take heed of us and brush us aside as irrelevant.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    ---snip---
    .........if I stopped a random sampling of people in Portland and asked them what they thought the Maine Citizen's Defense League was, I bet 9/10 would think it's a militia. In comparison Maine Open Carry Association does not carry the same connotation.
    When I first joined VCDL, I questioned the same thing so I understand your thoughts. Eventually, I came to see it as a non-issue.

Whatever name you all decide on as your new identification may help to define certain parameters and thereby open the doors to a broader membership base. The weight, effectiveness, political clout, indeed the very reputation will not come from the name itself, but from the level of participation of the membership. That will define who and what you are. Wish you all the best.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    one thing MOCA does NOT want to do is have their name sounding like a Militia. i know first hand. i was an Lt. with the MPM, and a SSGT. with the MSL. my job was PR, and recruiting. peoples opinions of Militias are so darned biased that automatically they believe anything that even sounds Militia-like is a bunch of drunk rednecks in the woods with guns looking to overthrow the government. now however far of a stretch from the truth that actually is. the opinion still stands. i spent 5 years with the MPM changing their name and apperance away from anything with the word Militia anywhere near it. hence the MSL. no word "militia" involved. now if MOCA's name sounds anything like a militia or a para-military group. odds are it will lose physical respect and respect on paper as well. NTM LEO's would probably start targeting its members ever more than they may or may not due as it is now. i believe MOCA needs a name that shows the public that it is a firearms rights group, while at the same time not holding any political adgenda behind it. :-) because liberals, democrats, constitutionalists, ect. all use guns, all own guns, and all fight for their rights for them *sane ones away*. and any name that makes the association sound like it leans one way or the other is bound to put off someone...........and that you dont want :-)
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Lightbulb The thought of the day.

I read Grapeshots post and as he stated.

"The weight, effectiveness, political clout, indeed the very reputation will not come from the name itself, but from the level of participation of the membership."

That is the issue all of us should be brainstorming on this board every day. What is it going to take for growth. I've made a few suggestings in the past as I'm sure others have none were picked up on. I myself lost interest cause I could see the writing on the wall. The numbers were shrinking, I was wasting time and gas. Somehow this needs to be turned around, I've suggested in the past flyers at gun shows as well as moving events to other areas like Augusta or Bangor to bring in new members and to gain attention that this movement has broad support and it's not just a bunch of college kids making a statement. Maybe some of you have better idea's? I do want to point out that I certainly agree with Grapeshots post.

Keep the name and enhance the Mission Statement.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    i read grapeshots post and as he stated.

"the weight, effectiveness, political clout, indeed the very reputation will not come from the name itself, but from the level of participation of the membership."

that is the issue all of us should be brainstorming on this board every day. What is it going to take for growth. I've made a few suggestings in the past as i'm sure others have none were picked up on. I myself lost interest cause i could see the writing on the wall. The numbers were shrinking, i was wasting time and gas. Somehow this needs to be turned around, i've suggested in the past flyers at gun shows as well as moving events to other areas like augusta or bangor to bring in new members and to gain attention that this movement has broad support and it's not just a bunch of college kids making a statement. Maybe some of you have better idea's? I do want to point out that i certainly agree with grapeshots post.
    im not a college kid!!! Im 37 years of age and i do everything i can to help moca!!! Iv printed out flyers, bought my own gas, and traveled hundreds of miles for moca!!! And i still will!!! I traveled to acadia national park!!! Where were you??? If there are events in your area let me know and ill be there!!! Untill then just be glad we have a moca!!!

Xd-over

This organization NEEDS more dedicated individuals! Im going to go ahead and mention that there was only 4 people that came to the meating last month, Shane can't do this buy himself guys. The only way this group is going to succeed is if we have more people devoted to this group and protecting our 2a right's. Now back to the subject, I'm voting for Maine Citizens Defense League for the new name.
    Last edited by thacountyhick; 10-13-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    I read Grapeshots post and as he stated.

"The weight, effectiveness, political clout, indeed the very reputation will not come from the name itself, but from the level of participation of the membership."

That is the issue all of us should be brainstorming on this board every day. What is it going to take for growth. I've made a few suggestings in the past as I'm sure others have none were picked up on. I myself lost interest cause I could see the writing on the wall. The numbers were shrinking, I was wasting time and gas. Somehow this needs to be turned around, I've suggested in the past flyers at gun shows as well as moving events to other areas like Augusta or Bangor to bring in new members and to gain attention that this movement has broad support and it's not just a bunch of college kids making a statement. Maybe some of you have better idea's? I do want to point out that I certainly agree with Grapeshots post.
    We want to get chapters going in every community, but we need a strong central organization to do that. First thing's first, we HAVE to become a government recognized organiztion, see: 501c(4) not-for-profit. This way we can take in money, unfortunately we cannot do much without it. We can only get this thing going if people begin to put their money where their mouth is and allow us to file the paperwork. After the paperwork is filed and we have a fair membership, board of directors etc. we can talk about opening up new chapters with their own BOD, who will hold their own events and meetings. Opinions?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast