• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOCA Name Change

jonjon_jon

The thought of the day.

I read Grapeshots post and as he stated.

"The weight, effectiveness, political clout, indeed the very reputation will not come from the name itself, but from the level of participation of the membership."

That is the issue all of us should be brainstorming on this board every day. What is it going to take for growth. I've made a few suggestings in the past as I'm sure others have none were picked up on. I myself lost interest cause I could see the writing on the wall. The numbers were shrinking, I was wasting time and gas. Somehow this needs to be turned around, I've suggested in the past flyers at gun shows as well as moving events to other areas like Augusta or Bangor to bring in new members and to gain attention that this movement has broad support and it's not just a bunch of college kids making a statement. Maybe some of you have better idea's? I do want to point out that I certainly agree with Grapeshots post.

crdonov

i read grapeshots post and as he stated.

"the weight, effectiveness, political clout, indeed the very reputation will not come from the name itself, but from the level of participation of the membership."

that is the issue all of us should be brainstorming on this board every day. What is it going to take for growth. I've made a few suggestings in the past as i'm sure others have none were picked up on. I myself lost interest cause i could see the writing on the wall. The numbers were shrinking, i was wasting time and gas. Somehow this needs to be turned around, i've suggested in the past flyers at gun shows as well as moving events to other areas like augusta or bangor to bring in new members and to gain attention that this movement has broad support and it's not just a bunch of college kids making a statement. Maybe some of you have better idea's? I do want to point out that i certainly agree with grapeshots post.

im not a college kid!!! Im 37 years of age and i do everything i can to help moca!!! Iv printed out flyers, bought my own gas, and traveled hundreds of miles for moca!!! And i still will!!! I traveled to acadia national park!!! Where were you??? If there are events in your area let me know and ill be there!!! Untill then just be glad we have a moca!!!

Xd-over

thacountyhick

This organization NEEDS more dedicated individuals! Im going to go ahead and mention that there was only 4 people that came to the meating last month, Shane can't do this buy himself guys. The only way this group is going to succeed is if we have more people devoted to this group and protecting our 2a right's. Now back to the subject, I'm voting for Maine Citizens Defense League for the new name.

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I read Grapeshots post and as he stated.

"The weight, effectiveness, political clout, indeed the very reputation will not come from the name itself, but from the level of participation of the membership."

That is the issue all of us should be brainstorming on this board every day. What is it going to take for growth. I've made a few suggestings in the past as I'm sure others have none were picked up on. I myself lost interest cause I could see the writing on the wall. The numbers were shrinking, I was wasting time and gas. Somehow this needs to be turned around, I've suggested in the past flyers at gun shows as well as moving events to other areas like Augusta or Bangor to bring in new members and to gain attention that this movement has broad support and it's not just a bunch of college kids making a statement. Maybe some of you have better idea's? I do want to point out that I certainly agree with Grapeshots post.

We want to get chapters going in every community, but we need a strong central organization to do that. First thing's first, we HAVE to become a government recognized organiztion, see: 501c(4) not-for-profit. This way we can take in money, unfortunately we cannot do much without it. We can only get this thing going if people begin to put their money where their mouth is and allow us to file the paperwork. After the paperwork is filed and we have a fair membership, board of directors etc. we can talk about opening up new chapters with their own BOD, who will hold their own events and meetings. Opinions?

jonjon_jon

reply to XD

im not a college kid!!! Im 37 years of age and i do everything i can to help moca!!! Iv printed out flyers, bought my own gas, and traveled hundreds of miles for moca!!! And i still will!!! I traveled to acadia national park!!! Where were you??? If there are events in your area let me know and ill be there!!! Untill then just be glad we have a moca!!!

Xd-over

I was there with you XD.

jonjon_jon

We want to get chapters going in every community, but we need a strong central organization to do that. First thing's first, we HAVE to become a government recognized organiztion, see: 501c(4) not-for-profit. This way we can take in money, unfortunately we cannot do much without it. We can only get this thing going if people begin to put their money where their mouth is and allow us to file the paperwork. After the paperwork is filed and we have a fair membership, board of directors etc. we can talk about opening up new chapters with their own BOD, who will hold their own events and meetings. Opinions?

There we go. I'm glad you didn't take my post a insult but something to be considered by all. We all share a common goal.

jonjon_jon

Question / suggesting

It's been long time since I joined opencarry.org when a new member joins up I dont' believe we're asked what state we're from? Maybe that should be a question so that local chapters like MOC can responed to them with emails. I have no doubt we have had thousand of Mainers join but have no way to contact them in mass numbers.

boyscout399

It's been long time since I joined opencarry.org when a new member joins up I dont' believe we're asked what state we're from? Maybe that should be a question so that local chapters like MOC can responed to them with emails. I have no doubt we have had thousand of Mainers join but have no way to contact them in mass numbers.

That's an excellent idea, though I think for privacy reasons on the site the moderators are unlikely to share emails of members to their prospective state leaders. But a list of users that we could PM would be awesome.

jonjon_jon

That's an excellent idea, though I think for privacy reasons on the site the moderators are unlikely to share emails of members to their prospective state leaders. But a list of users that we could PM would be awesome.

Yes I agree on privacy issue but we (opencarry) could ask for permission as users join.

I sent Shane a private pm few days ago one of my concerns to him was that I hardly ever sign into opencarry website and didn't receive message about meeting until after it was over. I'm a on off again user when it comes following what going on with opencarry.

Just rambling my thoughts. The problem with all of this stuff is it takes work and sometimes money on someones part. I just know in my heart of heart we have users out there by the thousands some that may have join opencarry years ago and never bothered to vist the web site again. That is our base (we) opencarry need to bring them together and organize them.

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Yes I agree on privacy issue but we (opencarry) could ask for permission as users join.

I sent Shane a private pm few days ago one of my concerns to him was that I hardly ever sign into opencarry website and didn't receive message about meeting until after it was over. I'm a on off again user when it comes following what going on with opencarry.

Just rambling my thoughts. The problem with all of this stuff is it takes work and sometimes money on someones part. I just know in my heart of heart we have users out there by the thousands some that may have join opencarry years ago and never bothered to vist the web site again. That is our base (we) opencarry need to bring them together and organize them.

I completely agree, we do have a mailing list but we don't have anyone truly dedicated to maintaining it. Forrest does his best, but there is only so much that one person can do, especially when they are going to school at the same time. As far as not being the right time for the name change, well when is the right time? When we are more well known and able to confuse more people? The single biggest issue that I have personally faced is people stating that we don't car about concealed carry which is completely false and incorrect, yet they state that without knowing anything about us simply because of our name.

jonjon_jon

I completely agree, we do have a mailing list but we don't have anyone truly dedicated to maintaining it. Forrest does his best, but there is only so much that one person can do, especially when they are going to school at the same time. As far as not being the right time for the name change, well when is the right time? When we are more well known and able to confuse more people? The single biggest issue that I have personally faced is people stating that we don't car about concealed carry which is completely false and incorrect, yet they state that without knowing anything about us simply because of our name.

Just my point of view it's not necessary the right one. I believe MOC should keep the name and expand on it if concealed carry is the issue. Such as Maine Citizens for open and concealed carry. I don't believe it's the time to drift to far away from the original name. I also believe it's the smartest move for maine open carry trying to bring concealed carry crowd together with us. As alway's strength in numbers.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Whether a person actively OCs, CCs or does not choose to carry (noC) should IMO never be the issue at all. The desire and willingness to recognize, acknowledge and support that everyone should have the freedom to make the choice is paramount.

Invite and welcome all.....including the hunters, skeet and target shooters, as well as the "I have one at home" crowd. By ourselves, we are a small percentage of the population, but collectively you can raise a voice that will be heard.

jonjon_jon

Whether a person actively OCs, CCs or does not choose to carry (noC) should IMO never be the issue at all. The desire and willingness to recognize, acknowledge and support that everyone should have the freedom to make the choice is paramount.

Invite and welcome all.....including the hunters, skeet and target shooters, as well as the "I have one at home" crowd. By ourselves, we are a small percentage of the population, but collectively you can raise a voice that will be heard.

You are dead on point with your statement. It should re-writing in some form welcoming all to join the cause and supporting the right to carry by all for self defense and enjoyment and should be put on every public post flyer or meeting we (open carry) puts up to show the general public. It's important the public doesn't see us as gun nuts but concerned citizens worried about public safety and gun rights as a whole.

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
You are dead on point with your statement. It should re-writing in some form welcoming all to join the cause and supporting the right to carry by all for self defense and enjoyment and should be put on every public post flyer or meeting we (open carry) puts up to show the general public. It's important the public doesn't see us as gun nuts but concerned citizens worried about public safety and gun rights as a whole.

bingo

scott58dh

MOCA name change

Being a newbie to this issue, I'll try throwing in my $2 worth. I would like to see some type of rally in the Bangor area. There are numerous public relations avenues to choose from and if there was some type of "BIG NAME" guest speaker, be it nationally=(Chuck Norris) :cool: or local type of personality, then that would hopefully create a reasonable amount of positive attention. But, what do I know ? Just thinking out loud.

carry for myself

PR is key in a situation like this. there are hundreds of firearms rights groups out there. some that do real good for the cause. some that harm it.
The point is to become a friend of the public. not an enemy. you never want the stance of "well we have guns, were keeping them , and if you dont like it ******" that is the wrong stance to take. any group that wants to support or further anything must also as before said have a darn good reputation, not only for the main cause but for other things as well, at the same time recognizing and working with the opinions of those who do not share the same opinion.

Take Constitutional Militias for example. when they were originally founded they were loved. then they were used for their purpose, then as time went by, opinions changed and people started private Militias the opinion of the public dropped. now they are watched by the FBI, considered "homeland terrorist groups" and insulted in small town and national media alike. because a few stray groups decided to say oh well well do what we want the constitution says we can. that is BAD PR.

Same happend to the black panthers, they fought for african american rights, with OC as a founding movement in the 60's. but their obvious stance of "were going to do what we want and you cant do anything about it" hurt the cause, rallied the wrong peoples and now they are just as bad towards whites as the KKK is towards them.

But with a strong public relations approach. not only will MOCA be nationally, govermentally and privately recognized as a strong, helpful and leading firearms support group. but it will not be disrespected by those who do not so much agree with its ideals.

Inviting anyone who cares about firearms rights whether they CC, OC, *noC* , hunt, sport shoot or just have grampys old 12 guage for home defense. will not only strengthen the group but will invite alot more members. At the same time picking battles wisely and not just going toe to toe with every foe that the group may have saves alot of face and takes the association from a "activist" group to a "lifestyle" group :)

jonjon_jon

Carryformyself posted: PR is key in a situation like this. there are hundreds of firearms rights groups out there. some that do real good for the cause. some that harm it.

Does anyone know if there are any groups in Maine that speak directly to gun issues?

Last edited: