• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOCA Name Change

Lepine1

Meeting

I suggest a meeting where a discussion and vote can happen. Changing the name of an organization is a big thing.

jonjon_jon

Glad to see you on the forums. I believe that you and jonjon hit the nail on the head. We need a simple, catchy name that includes EVERYONE. Even if you don't own a firearm, but just enjoy the basic freedoms of being an American you should want to join our group....... Although, for the life of me I haven't found a name that I truly love yet? To be completely encompassing we can't use words such as "firearm", which makes it difficult!

Shane I understand the need to be politically correct in todays world but I wouldn't avoid firearm for that reason. The NRA isn't about to drop the rifle from it's name and trout unlimited isn't going to remove trout cause someone may not approve of eating fish. We need to stand proud of who we are and what we support. The whole point of the movement is to support firearms and their use by responsible citizens. I see no need to humor the antis to the point where have us on the run before we get out of the gate. I know it's just my opinion and everyone has one.

Respectfully, your friend John

Lepine1

"Maine's Firearms Carry Association"

Bassed on the last post, Maybe "Maine's Firearms Carry Association"

MFCA

Sounds better each time I read it

Lepine1

The Maine Open carry association is about carrying firearms. We shouldn't be trying to attract everyone, that would lead us to other areas and other members that may not support the use or ownership of firearms. We need to name the group with a specific purpose in mind. The right to carry firearms. That will attract the kind of people with the mindset that we want to have as members. That's how the name "Maine's Firearms carry association came to mind. "MFCA"

Being too inclusive i.e "Maine's Association" would be broader but is that what the association is about? No, it's about carrying weapons and the support of this right.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Maine Open carry association is about carrying firearms. We shouldn't be trying to attract everyone, that would lead us to other areas and other members that may not support the use or ownership of firearms. We need to name the group with a specific purpose in mind. The right to carry firearms. That will attract the kind of people with the mindset that we want to have as members. That's how the name "Maine's Firearms carry association came to mind. "MFCA"

Being too inclusive i.e "Maine's Association" would be broader but is that what the association is about? No, it's about carrying weapons and the support of this right.

Actually, I think it is more about the right to own and utilize them for their design purpose in accordance with the U.S. and Maine constitutions. Whether someone carries or not is less important than their supporting that we all continue to have a choice. Surely the right to self defense is high on the list of priorities.

MOCA somewhat restricts by definition the organization to OCers. As there is power in numbers, what is the benefit in excluding otherwise friends?

Lepine1

Actually, I think it is more about the right to own and utilize them for their design purpose in accordance with the U.S. and Maine constitutions. Whether someone carries or not is less important than their supporting that we all continue to have a choice. Surely the right to self defense is high on the list of priorities.

MOCA somewhat restricts by definition the organization to OCers. As there is power in numbers, what is the benefit in excluding otherwise friends?

Point well taken. How about "Maine's Firearms Owners Rights Associaions" MFORA or "Maine's Firearms Supporters Rights Associaions" MFSRA

Just throwing out ideas..... No need to exclude anyone but we need to be a little specific.

jonjon_jon

Point well taken. How about "Maine's Firearms Owners Rights Associaions" MFORA or "Maine's Firearms Supporters Rights Associaions" MFSRA

Just throwing out ideas..... No need to exclude anyone but we need to be a little specific.

Just keep it simple. "Maine firearm Association" The name would include all and we can fine tune it as we develop our mission statement. If we grow we find ourselves to encompass rifles and hunters fine and if we become focused on just the handgun crowd it would also work. In my opinion we don't want a name that we may be looking to change again in just a few years cause the name doesn't fit our organization.

jonjon_jon

This is very good point and all members should take heed of Grapeshots words of wisdom. (At least in this case) :)

scott58dh

FYI...MOCA Name

Google MOCA = MOntreal Cognitive Assessment (Test) .../ Museum of Contemporary Art .../ Museum of Chinese in America.../ MINNESOTA OVARIAN CANCER ALLIANCE.../ Multimedia over Coax Alliance.../ Minneapolis Off-Road Cycling Advocates. PLUS, I recently heard an advertisement on the radio for Maine Office Cleaning Associates. The point of my search is to note the importance of using a group name that is unique and distinctive from others. That's why I believe it's essential that the name refers to the 2nd Ammendment AND gun owners in general... Maine 2nd Constitutional ??? whatever. Time will tell I guess.

jonjon_jon

Maines 2 amendment keeps coming up. If you're going to go that route how about Maine 16 amendment which would be actually proper for Maine gun owners.

Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.

thacountyhick

Google MOCA = MOntreal Cognitive Assessment (Test) .../ Museum of Contemporary Art .../ Museum of Chinese in America.../ MINNESOTA OVARIAN CANCER ALLIANCE.../ Multimedia over Coax Alliance.../ Minneapolis Off-Road Cycling Advocates. PLUS, I recently heard an advertisement on the radio for Maine Office Cleaning Associates. The point of my search is to note the importance of using a group name that is unique and distinctive from others. That's why I believe it's essential that the name refers to the 2nd Ammendment AND gun owners in general... Maine 2nd Constitutional ??? whatever. Time will tell I guess.

Glad u posted this Scott, part of becoming an official not-for-profit group we have to trademark or copyright our name so have to make sure that whatever name we pick isn't allready taken.

scott58dh

2nd ammendment recognition

My reasoning for staying with the "2nd" is National recognition. We, as a group of like minded individuals, that are dealing with an issue that quite honestly is viewed as controversial and in some opinions just a tad OVER THE TOP, must understand the complexity of what is being dealt with. The end result of the "name change" should be one that presents itself as unique, serious, memorable and most importantly Respectable to all from both sides of the fence. Therefore, to keep in thought with Shane, presenting our beliefs as ones that are united in the foundation and formation of this great land of ours, I'll keep the focus on the Constitutional Rights of us FLAG waving Americans and hopefully this subject can be resolved AND closed... soon. 'til next time, PEACE and LOVE to ALL... Scott :cool:

boyscout399

Maines 2 amendment keeps coming up. If you're going to go that route how about Maine 16 amendment which would be actually proper for Maine gun owners.

Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.

Just so you know, it's not the 16th Amendment in Maine, it's Article 1 Section 16.

jonjon_jon

Just so you know, it's not the 16th Amendment in Maine, it's Article 1 Section 16.

Thank you for setting the record straight. I still believe we could/should consider the Maine constitution it's relationship with a name change especially if we're looking for something to make people slow down and take notice of the law in this state. I also believe if it was used in some fashion it would honor those that fought to have section 16 wrote into law so many years ago.

Last edited:

scott58dh

Try this one out...

Well, Lets try this one, GO-ME = Gun Owners of MainE. Looks Good and is Catchy. Google GO-NH... Their site is Quite impressive. Obviously they have the manpower to be dedicated to the site. Hopefully someday "MOCA" will have the forces to be able to get the recognition and commitment to make it a worthy association. Thankfully we have Shane and others backing up the foundation during this time of growth and keeping the focus on what's important.

boyscout399

Well, Lets try this one, GO-ME = Gun Owners of MainE. Looks Good and is Catchy. Google GO-NH... Their site is Quite impressive. Obviously they have the manpower to be dedicated to the site. Hopefully someday "MOCA" will have the forces to be able to get the recognition and commitment to make it a worthy association. Thankfully we have Shane and others backing up the foundation during this time of growth and keeping the focus on what's important.

Wow, I like GO-ME a lot!