• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scranton Police Encounter

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
There is a right time and a wrong time to be an jerk and do into "Am I being detained" mode to a LEO and this wasn't it. . . .

Huh!?!?

Are you saying one is a jerk to exercise rights?

Are you saying one cannot exercise his rights politely? In a friendly manner, even?

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
You have got to be kidding me. This is the STUPIDEST thing I've heard in a LONG time regarding firearms. NEVER let another handle your gun. That's how people get shot, handling the gun when it's not NECESSARY. (facepalm)

He carries a Glock 22 for his duty weapon. I carry a SW40VE. These are two nearly identical firearms exept for the two ton trigger on the sigma. If I'd have been carrying a 1911 with a 2lb competition trigger spring (a stupid thing to do in the first place) then I wouldn't have let him anywhere near my firearm.

riverrat10k

Reminds me of one of the mornings heading to Skidmarks hearings in Surry, VA. Cop behind me in line at 7-11 tried a "consentual encounter" asking if I liked my holster. I said, "No, I don't think I do. Excuse me I'm late" and exited.

Don't talk to the cops!

Gunslinger

If a cop engaged me in friendly conversation about the pistol I was OCing, I would gladly talk with him--as I would a guy wearing a Flightsuit or blue jeans. If I was CCing and it showed because my shirt rode up, and he engaged me in friendly conversation about the pistol I was carrying, I would gladly talk to him. OC is legal in CO, so there would be no problem going from CC to OC. However, if CCing, you need a permit. Had he at the end--still in a friendly manner, mentioned I do need a permit to CC and asked if I had one, I would simply say yes. I would expect the conversation to end at that point. However, he could legally ask to see it in this situation and I would show it to him. Then I would go about my business. I see little difference between what the OP did and what I would do. Therefore: I would call either situation a "non" encounter.

bmward64

You have got to be kidding me. This is the STUPIDEST thing I've heard in a LONG time regarding firearms. NEVER let another handle your gun. That's how people get shot, handling the gun when it's not NECESSARY. (facepalm)

100% agreed Badger!

I would never let someone else take my pistol from the holster on my hip. If anything, and this completely depends on the situation and where you are and who wants to see it, I would take it out myself, unload it, and hand it over. Being this was an LEO, I probably would have told him that I felt more comfortable leaving right where it was.