Thread: Would you Illini explain this to a furriner?

Would you Illini explain this to a furriner?

First Rule of a Gunfight: An off-duty deputy shot and killed a 16-year-old and critically injured three others during a robbery at a Rockford [IL] pizzeria. The deputy involved in the Saturday night shooting is a 29-year-old U.S. Army veteran who served in Iraq, according to Winnebago County Sheriff Richard Meyers. Meyers did not identify the deputy, who was put on paid administrative leave. The deputy was talking with a friend at the restaurant when the suspects entered the business, acccording to Rockford Police Chief Chet Epperson. One of the suspects pointed a handgun at the deputy and his friend. A struggle ensued and the deputy used an employee's handgun to shoot the suspects. The 16-year-old, identified Monday morning as Michael Sago of Rockford, died at the scene. Epperson says the other three suspects were treated for life-threatening injuries. (Why didn’t the deputy have his own gun?)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2549590.story
    First, how come the deputy did not have his own gun? Is he not covered by LEOSA?

Second, how did an employee manage to have a gun? I thought you folks had laws against that (as well as any possible employer policies).

Thanks for un-confusing me.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Good question, why didn't the LEO have his own gun ? think he learned anything there? He is lucky he is alive and bravo to him for cleaning up some of the scum out there. 16 or not.

4th amendment violation..........worth thousands

4th AND wrongfull arest...........worth 10s of thousands

what Skidmark has at the bottom of this post in faux deutchenspraken...........priceless.

very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    First, how come the deputy did not have his own gun?
    Second, how did an employee manage to have a gun?
    From reading other threads about this incident, apparently it's OK to have a gun in your own house or business. (Chicago has its own rules.)
    But yeah, why didn't the LEO have his own SD tool?
    Of all the people you'd think would recognize the need for protection...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56
    4th amendment violation... worth thousands
    4th AND wrongful arest... worth 10s of thousands
    Only in some parts of the US. Mine certainly didn't net me tens of thousands.
    Hope Skid/User get a friendly judge &/or jury for the 1983 suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

MKEgal is correct that you can have a gun on your own property or business . Also , if you have permission of the property owner , you can carry on their property. It just has to be unloaded and cased going between the two places.

As far as the LEO not having his own gun , I have known a couple LEO that didn't carry off duty. I am located in the far South end of the state though. Some people just never learn.

It also baffles me. I am fighting to be able to carry and this guy can carry 24/7 anywhere in the state with rare exception and does not carry. I guess the deputy was exercising his right to carry or not to carry. I don't have that luxury.

Last edited by Schlitz; 10-12-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Very condescending Schlitz, Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    Very condescending Schlitz, Congratulations.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”

Probably best just to add to you to my list...

edit..Ahh MUCH better...
    Last edited by xd shooter; 10-12-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    Probably best just to add to you to my list...

edit..Ahh MUCH better...

I lol'd

EDIT: I find it interesting and maybe sad that so many people are offended by comic relief. Instead of growing thick skin it seems too many people are baby'd by their parents their whole life. It's okay to laugh and enjoy the internet, you shouldn't take everything so seriously.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-13-2011 at 12:49 AM.

I see that my friend Shlitz is still under the disability of not being able to recognize subtlety and irony when confronted with them in written form. Perhaps I should put little notices in parentheses when ever something other than the absolute literal meaning is implied? (no subtlety or irony)

And yes, it is ironic (no irony) that someone who deals with the dark side of life on a daily basis does not se a need to carry the means to protect himself from that dark side when he is off-duty/out of uniform. Especially since, as a member of the Only Ones, he can do so while those around him cannot. (irony)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I don't even know the meaning of what you just said... but it touched my heart.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-14-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Paragraph (4) has been amended by HB183 and now reads a bit more permissive:

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,

firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card; or
    Last edited by lockman; 10-15-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: remove non functioning formatting

Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    It also baffles me. I am fighting to be able to carry and this guy can carry 24/7 anywhere in the state with rare exception and does not carry. I guess the deputy was exercising his right to carry or not to carry. I don't have that luxury.
    Apparently that deputy agreed with the Illinois State Police leadership that you should use car keys, a nail file, or just vomit on an assailent and not carry a gun, and of course you can always call 911.

Why did the Deputy not have his own weapon?

Clue, (I think) in the writeup. I do not know IL law and LE procedures, but here in WA when you are a LEO and are on "administrative leave" that means you have been in a LE shooting. Basically, you are not a active duty LEO, (even though you are still being paid) until the internal investigation has been completed. This means you are relieved of your service arm during that period also.

So, here in WA, LE has other methods of being able to legally carry their own private weapon,,,,BUT in IL? Maybe that is why he was not armed with his own service weapon????

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Why did the Deputy not have his own weapon?

Clue, (I think) in the writeup. I do not know IL law and LE procedures, but here in WA when you are a LEO and are on "administrative leave" that means you have been in a LE shooting. Basically, you are not a active duty LEO, (even though you are still being paid) until the internal investigation has been completed. This means you are relieved of your service arm during that period also.

So, here in WA, LE has other methods of being able to legally carry their own private weapon,,,,BUT in IL? Maybe that is why he was not armed with his own service weapon????
    Maybe you missed the sequence of events. THe deputy shot the kid and then was placed on administrative leave.

When he shot the kid he was "off duty" - probably meaning not in uniform and not on active patrol as plainclothes/undercover.

[begin rant]Cops are never "off duty" when they want to impose the majesty of their office, as opposed to making a legal citizen's arrest just like any of the rest of us could do.[/rant]

stay safe.

----Allahpundit