• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News From Cali: OC is dead.....

beanoboy7

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/10/BAHB1LFO8V.DTL

(10-10) 11:24 PDT Sacramento -- Gov. Jerry Brown has outlawed the open carrying of unloaded handguns in California, signing a bill late Sunday night that makes the practice that had been popular with some gun rights advocates a misdemeanor in the state.

The bill, AB144 by Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-La Cañada Flintridge (Los Angeles County), will take effect Jan. 1 and was backed by law enforcement officials throughout the state who said the practice created a public safety issue.

"We view the open carrying of unloaded handguns as a threat to the safety of the communities we police and the safety of our officers," said David L. Maggard, Jr., president of the California Police Chiefs Association.

The ban does not apply to law enforcement, people authorized to carry loaded weapons in public or to people selling unloaded weapons at gun shows, among other exemptions.

Violations of the law will carry a fine of up to $1,000 and up to six months in county jail.

In addition, Brown signed into law a bill that will require that the information from purchasers of long guns, such as rifles and shotguns, be retained by the state Department of Justice in the same way information about handgun purchasers is retained.

Currently, the information of people who buy long guns is destroyed.

In a message accompanying the signed bill, AB809 by Assemblyman Mike Feuer, D-Los Angeles, Brown wrote, "Since the state already retains handgun purchaser information, I see no reason why the state should not also retain information pertaining to the sale of long guns."

Anyone want to comment of the likelihood this happens in CT?

dogsandhogs

We can only hope that this comes back to bite the "antis" of CA in the rear. A court recently ruled that a denial of a concealed carry permit to a San Diego resident was not in violation of the 2nd Amendment because that resident could open-carry, unloaded. Said resident no longer has that option. The court cases will be worth watching in CA.

Edward Peruta

I am well aware of this topic

Funny how things work out.

AB 144 is the bill that got most of the attention because it would outlaw unloaded open carry. It was introduced by Assemblyman Anthony Portatino (D-Pasadena). There had been a concerted effort by many gun groups to get Gov. Brown to veto this bill as it outlaws the only mode of carry available to most Californians. In that sense it is bad. However, signing this bill may in a counter-intuitive way be to our advantage especially when it comes to moving California forward to becoming a shall-issue state.

In Peruta v. San Diego, U.S. District Court Judge Irma Gonzalez cited the exceptions that would allow the plaintiff, Edward Peruta, to have armed self-defense outside the home. One of those exceptions under California law was unloaded open carry. Because of this, she felt justified in denying Mr. Peruta the ability to obtain a concealed carry permit. With Gov. Brown's signing AB 144, this exception is now removed. The case was appealed to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and the foreclosing of this option could well have an impact upon the case.

Only time will tell.

Ed Peruta

Rich B

I don't see why we spend so much time worrying about whether the legislature is going to attack our rights in session or not.

If they do, we fight it. CCDL has been very good in these matters to date.

If they don't, we carry on normalizing the practice.

We have plenty of people who say odd things like "If you open carry, you are just calling attention to the law and they will 'fix it'.". To that I answer, "If it is legal, but everyone is too scared to do it for fear of unlawful reprisal, do we have the right to begin with?".

Carry how you choose. Carry safely and responsibly.

But don't spend your time worrying about those who would try to rob you of your rights so much that they make you rob yourself of your rights.

scornd

Last edited:

KIX

+1 for Rich and Ed.

Interesting how this plays out regarding the recent rulings where you had an open carry right.

Only problem, those rulings came too close to the legislation and would mean yet another costly piece of litigation!

Jonathan

"We view the open carrying of unloaded handguns as a threat to the safety of the communities we police and the safety of our officers," said David L. Maggard, Jr., president of the California Police Chiefs Association. "The governor's leadership in signing this legislation will help assure that felons and gang members cannot openly carry an unloaded gun with impunity, all the while carrying the ammunitions for the weapon on their person."

Yes, that should do it.

smokeyburnout

"We view the open carrying of unloaded handguns as a threat to the safety of the communities we police and the safety of our officers," said David L. Maggard, Jr., president of the California Police Chiefs Association. "The governor's leadership in signing this legislation will help assure that felons and gang members cannot openly carry an unloaded gun with impunity, all the while carrying the ammunitions for the weapon on their person."

Yes, that should do it.

Im all for officer safety but if your gonna infringe rights to do so it's just not worth it. Soon Kalifornia will make it illegal to drive as traffic stops are the paramount threat to officer safety.

Rich B

I would like to meet the officer who is actually concerned about a criminal carrying an unloaded openly carried firearm.

I would also like to see one report of that actually occurring.

I expect I will never see either.

customcreationllc

Watch NRAnews.com they talk about it.
The banned open carry but make it easier to get a CCW license, and some other bills.

I guess NRA was more on the positive side after that day.