Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCing an empty holster, good or bad idea?

OCing an empty holster, good or bad idea?

I feel like OCing an empty holster is a good way to spread the word about the movement in Oklahoma, but on the other hand it may cause people who are not familiar with OC to become defensive because the empty holster may come off as an "in your face" tactic.

What are your opinions?

I would do that in areas you were not allowed to OC your weapon. Why not?

Source on your avatar please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Haha well I just dont want to offend anyone, especially law enforcement. I want to spread the word and do no harm to the cause .

I actually made that avitar cool huh?

http://bighugelabs.com/motivator

Just upload the pic you want, enter your title and subtext. Easy.

Empty holster

I went into my local grocery store, (one where I shop quite regular) with an empty holster. It had quite a profound reaction from the people who worked there. All of management came by and eyeballed me while I was shopping. Most of them new me. But they still checked to see if my holster was empty. The shoppers passed me by without any problems or nasty looks. When I went to the tobacco counter and also where the money vault is kept, I overheard one of the emloyees make a statement to another employee (one I've known for years) behind the counter. "I don't care it still makes me uncomfortable" as he was walking away. I guess I need to do it more often just to get them used to the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by gprod55 View Post
    I went into my local grocery store, (one where I shop quite regular) with an empty holster. It had quite a profound reaction from the people who worked there. All of management came by and eyeballed me while I was shopping. Most of them new me. But they still checked to see if my holster was empty. The shoppers passed me by without any problems or nasty looks. When I went to the tobacco counter and also where the money vault is kept, I overheard one of the emloyees make a statement to another employee (one I've known for years) behind the counter. "I don't care it still makes me uncomfortable" as he was walking away. I guess I need to do it more often just to get them used to the idea.
    Hmm.. Interesting. Anything new to people will make them weary. Like you said, maybe it's just a matter of getting them used to the idea. In order to gain support for the cause, though, we need the average joe to be as open minded as possible. Im afraid the sight of the holster will automatically cause them to become uncomfortable and defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent91 View Post
    Haha well I just dont want to offend anyone, especially law enforcement. I want to spread the word and do no harm to the cause.
    You're always going to piss someone off. Does this harm the cause? I don't think so. The anti's make a stink, but their dis-logic fails.

I don't think it is possible to do harm to the cause of Rights and Truth. The reality of being too stupid or hateful to figure it out lies with others, you can't control that.

I OCed an empty holster for decades. Even kids can do it, it's just a holster. Sometimes I put a banana in it. Truth is best absorbed through a smile, be funny and personable.

If you're worried about offending people, crawl back under your bed. The stupid and hateful are offended by everything, and compose an overwhelming majority of the United States' population.

Acting offended is a way of using 'what others might think' to further your own agenda for oppression. "Being Offended" is a tyrant's best friend. If you accommodate it, you've already lost.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

I OCed an empty holster for decades. Even kids can do it, it's just a holster. Sometimes I put a banana in it.
    Haha nice! That's a good way to add a hint of humor. Although I don't think my wife would let me do it. Wearing an empty holster everywhere I go already embarrasses her enough.

I would actually like a "support open carry" patch to sow onto my nylon holster (my empty carry hah). Just to make the message a little more obvious. havnt been able to find one though. Anyone know of one?

That patch idea is not a bad idea.... I could sew it right on my Blackhawk holster. I myself started out carrying just an empty holster, and then I agged a spare mag into the holster, then finally carried my firearm. I still carry just the holster every now and then, but I have found folks rarely notice it. Even when I am armed they do not really notice. I normally will carry just the holster into place that do not allow OCing (Gov't buildings and the like) and just leave my firearm in my vic. No laws against having a holster (or even a loaded spare mag) that I have seen or heard of. But if you do find a patch like that please let us know. I will look around for one myself...

"Open carry" with an empty holster?

Hmmm. Seems like a moot point to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post

Open carry is not legal here in Oklahoma. The point of OCing the holster is to show support and spread the word for legalization.

That patch idea is not a bad idea.... I could sew it right on my Blackhawk holster. I myself started out carrying just an empty holster, and then I agged a spare mag into the holster, then finally carried my firearm. I still carry just the holster every now and then, but I have found folks rarely notice it. Even when I am armed they do not really notice. I normally will carry just the holster into place that do not allow OCing (Gov't buildings and the like) and just leave my firearm in my vic. No laws against having a holster (or even a loaded spare mag) that I have seen or heard of. But if you do find a patch like that please let us know. I will look around for one myself...
    Why do you OC an empty holster? OC is legal in Missouri, is it not?
    Last edited by Trent91; 10-13-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Open carry is not legal here in Oklahoma. The point of OCing the holster is to show support and spread the word for legalization.

Why do you OC an empty holster? OC is legal in Missouri, is it not?
    It is legal here. However I started carrying just the holster due to nerves and not knowing what to expect. Now while I do carry my 45 on me I do carry just the holster sometimes, just to promote OCing, not to mention like I said some places (like where I work) do not allow firearms so I just leave mine in the vic and carry just the holster. Easier to just remove the firearm, rather than re adjusting everything to where it is comfortable again when I re holster. ( Conceal Carry is legal inside your vic here as well. )

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMcat12B View Post
    It is legal here. However I started carrying just the holster due to nerves and not knowing what to expect. Now while I do carry my 45 on me I do carry just the holster sometimes, just to promote OCing, not to mention like I said some places (like where I work) do not allow firearms so I just leave mine in the vic and carry just the holster. Easier to just remove the firearm, rather than re adjusting everything to where it is comfortable again when I re holster. ( Conceal Carry is legal inside your vic here as well. )

Ah I see. Thats understandable. Even wearing an empty holster into public places was nerve racking the first few times I did it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	7118

Made my own patch Tied it on my holster with dental floss cause I didn't want to damage my holster in any way.

OC is legal here in WI (for another few weeks, it's the only legal way to carry), and when I'm in one of the few places we're not allowed to carry, I just take the pistol out (sometimes the spare magazine too) & leave the holster on my belt.

That's when I'm not intending to make a point, though at school it has sparked a few discussions, all positive. Most of my classmates either don't notice (which would be hard) or don't say anything, & a few have been genuinely interested in why I carry & what some of the laws are.

Today I went to a meeting about our new cc bill, & since it was in a prohibited place I OC'd an orange plastic training pistol, & cc'd another one.
    That's when I'm trying to make a point.
    If anyone (official) ever says boo to me about an empty holster at school, I'll add the orange training pistol.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Why is raising awareness in a place where its illegal to OC a "moot point?"

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    OC is legal here in WI (for another few weeks, it's the only legal way to carry), and when I'm in one of the few places we're not allowed to carry, I just take the pistol out (sometimes the spare magazine too) & leave the holster on my belt.

That's when I'm not intending to make a point, though at school it has sparked a few discussions, all positive. Most of my classmates either don't notice (which would be hard) or don't say anything, & a few have been genuinely interested in why I carry & what some of the laws are.

Today I went to a meeting about our new cc bill, & since it was in a prohibited place I OC'd an orange plastic training pistol, & cc'd another one.
    That's when I'm trying to make a point.
    If anyone (official) ever says boo to me about an empty holster at school, I'll add the orange training pistol.
    Very nice. The training pistol is a good idea.. I need to get my hands on one of those.

OK2A Meeting

Last nights meeting of the OK2A in OKC held at the H&H was quite interesting. I carried an empty holster into the meeting and when they asked why it was empty I explained to them that my weapon was concealed and that I was making a statement to the public about open carry. One of the attendees there said here fill up the empty holster and stuffed a copy of the constitution in it. The one printed by The National Center for Constitutional Studies. This might bring more attention to the empty holster and give you a chance to explain what it means. Its a good idea and I'm going to give it a try. I'm prepared to take the time to explain to all who will listen. With the copy in hand its black and white wording that can't be refuted no matter how hard they try.

Haha nice! That's a good way to add a hint of humor. Although I don't think my wife would let me do it. Wearing an empty holster everywhere I go already embarrasses her enough.
    I sometimes "OC" a full AK mag. Or the spare mag of my CCed gun...

Sometimes I "OC" a p38 holster. It completely conceals any gun inside it... But I never carry a gun in it. Usually Dunkin' Donuts Coupons, so the illegal search turns up what!?! LOL!

Or better... Cheerios. Illegal search. LEO asks "WTF is with this?" Me says "Oh, those are donut seeds! Want some?" That way the laugh shows up on the recorder, unlike the coupons...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    I don't recommend playing games with police officers. It's funny to talk about it, but sense of humor is not currently a job requirement to be a cop.

Personally, I'm sticking with "protected political speech"

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Why is raising awareness in a place where its illegal to OC a "moot point?"
    It might "raise awareness"...but would not be at all beneficial for self defense purposes.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

It might "raise awareness"...but would not be at all beneficial for self defense purposes.
    People aren't saying to not carry a weapon on them while OCing an empty holster (after all, you can still CC while having an empty holster). Now I understand some people might not carry a gun due to fear of cops, but thats different from not being able to carry.

Also if OCing an empty holster helps promote OC and get OC passed, then in the long run it is beneficial for self defense purposes.

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    I carry an empty holster everywhere we are not allowed to carry here in NC. For us this includes hospitals, movie theaters, restaurants that serve alcohol, posted buisnesses, etc. I wind up in as many positive conversations with an empty holster as I do with a full holster. Nobody has ever seemed upset at the sight of an empty holster. I wouldn't take it off until you're allowed to fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by okiebryan View Post
    I don't recommend playing games with police officers. It's funny to talk about it, but sense of humor is not currently a job requirement to be a cop.

Personally, I'm sticking with "protected political speech"
    If you want to live in fear, that's up to you... It's only a game if the COPS decide to play it... If they don't perform illegal activities, they never find it...

I assert that those in Surry, VA should OC a mannequin's hand doing the 'gun shape' in their holsters anywhere that their firearm is forbidden.... :-p

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    i've only had one issue with an empty holster. Walmart. greeter basically dropped his jaw , untill i said "its empty" then he calmed down. although a week later the same greeter smiled and nodded when i passed him with a glock in the same holster *had dropped my glock off for service on the empty run" .

i see hunters walk around with empty holsters regularly during season. they usually leave the pistol in the truck, and go into the store empty. most people dont have an issue with a holster. except a certain liberal few. i would say go for it :-)
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Sounds like a way to spread the word. Two things...I would have a something that promotes OC and 2A to pass out if someone were to ask. Maybe carry the infor in the holster.....and I would have a bug in my pocket to back the empty holster up.
    Last edited by hermannr; 10-23-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast