• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW applications anyone succesfully tried this? Or is it just a dream?

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
If you are still going to UOC in urban California we strongly advise you to apply for a PC 12050 carry license. However, as the Carry Sunshine Initiative (http://calgunsfoundation.org/carry) is just getting underway, many counties have asinine restrictions. As such we recommend a specific set of steps in your application.

1. Send the following cover letter where you correctly fill out the XXX's and chose the tracked shipping method of your choice:

XXXday, November XX, 2011

Sheriff XXXX XXXX
XXXXX County Sheriff's Office
XXX Main St.
XXXXXX, CA 9XXXX

VIA CERTIFIED US MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED/FEDEX/UPS

Re: Application for Permit to Carry a Concealed Weapon (CCW)

Dear Sheriff XXXXX,

As you know, the State of California requires persons who wish to carry functional handguns to be licensed in accordance with Cal. Penal Code § 12050, et. seq. As such, I wish to acquire a firearm carry license (“CCW”) in order to exercise my fundamental right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense . Please find enclosed my completed “STANDARD APPLICATION FOR LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON (CCW)”, form BCIA 4012 (6/99), for a standard 2-year “civilian” CCW license. I am applying to your Sheriff's Office because I am a resident of XXXXX County, California. My good cause statement is, "I wish to carry a firearm for self defense."

The 1976 Court of Appeals decision of Salute v. Pitchess held that “[w]hile a court cannot compel a public officer to exercise his discretion in any particular manner, it may direct him to exercise that discretion.” The decision went on to declare that “t is the duty of the sheriff to make such an investigation and determination, on an individual basis, on every application under section 12050.”

In light of the above, I respectfully request that you accept my completed application, collect my fingerprints, conduct an investigation, and make your determination of whether my good cause is acceptable. Should you determine that my good cause is acceptable I will pay the $95.00 fee to complete the Department of Justice background check report as described in Penal Code § 12052.

I have enclosed with this letter and my completed application a check made out to the XXXX County Sheriff's Office in the amount of $20.00, which is the maximum acceptable local initial fee (See PC § 12054(a)) to initiate the application process. Upon issuance I will pay the balance (usually $80.00) of the allowed local fees.

If you have any questions, or if any part of the application is incomplete or incorrectly completed, please contact me at (XXX) XXX-XXXX immediately. I look forward to hearing from you or your CCW application coordinator and am eager to complete the process and receive your determination within 90 days from your receipt of my enclosed application.

I hereby certify under penalties of perjury and Penal Code section 12051(b) and (c), that the answers I have given on the enclosed CCW application are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Signed ___________________ Date ______________
Mr(s). XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
123 Main St.
XXXX, CA 9XXXX
(209) XXX-XXXX
XXXXXXX@XXX.com

2. Fill out the "Fillable DOJ CCW Application (http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf)" as instructed in the application itself.

3. Send the cover letter, the filled out CCW Application, and a $20 check or money order made out your county sheriff via certified mail, return receipt requested or Fedex/UPS with tracking to your county sheriff.

4. Make a copy or a scan of the entire package before sending.

5. Save the tracking information or return receipt.

If you are to be denied, you now have proof that you attempted to comply with the State requirements to carry but were rebuffed by the licensing authority (or you might just get a permit...) However, if you later have an interaction with law enforcement that is sub-par, the actual fact of your application and denial will make that interaction far more valuable to the fight for gun rights.

CGF remains unwilling to defend UOC cases generally. However, we will be far more amenable to a UOC case where the UOCer attempted to comply with PC § 12050 and has proof via a return receipt of tracking information, as it significantly narrows the counter arguments that a law enforcement agency can make.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
If you are still going to UOC in urban California we strongly advise you to apply for a PC 12050 carry license. However, as the Carry Sunshine Initiative (http://calgunsfoundation.org/carry) is just getting underway, many counties have asinine restrictions. As such we recommend a specific set of steps in your application.

1. Send the following cover letter where you correctly fill out the XXX's and chose the tracked shipping method of your choice:

Sheriff XXXX XXXX
XXX Main St.
XXXXXX, CA 9XXXX

Dear Sheriff XXXXX,

As you know, the State of California requires persons who wish to carry functional handguns to be licensed in accordance with Cal. Penal Code § 12050, et. seq. As such, I wish to acquire a firearm carry license (“CCW”) in order to exercise my fundamental right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense . Please find enclosed my completed “STANDARD APPLICATION FOR LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON (CCW)”, form BCIA 4012 (6/99), for a standard 2-year “civilian” CCW license. I am applying to your Sheriff's Office because I am a resident of XXXXX County, California. My good cause statement is, "I wish to carry a firearm for self defense."

The 1976 Court of Appeals decision of Salute v. Pitchess held that “[w]hile a court cannot compel a public officer to exercise his discretion in any particular manner, it may direct him to exercise that discretion.” The decision went on to declare that “t is the duty of the sheriff to make such an investigation and determination, on an individual basis, on every application under section 12050.”

In light of the above, I respectfully request that you accept my completed application, collect my fingerprints, conduct an investigation, and make your determination of whether my good cause is acceptable. Should you determine that my good cause is acceptable I will pay the $95.00 fee to complete the Department of Justice background check report as described in Penal Code § 12052.

I have enclosed with this letter and my completed application a check made out to the XXXX County Sheriff's Office in the amount of $20.00, which is the maximum acceptable local initial fee (See PC § 12054(a)) to initiate the application process. Upon issuance I will pay the balance (usually $80.00) of the allowed local fees.

If you have any questions, or if any part of the application is incomplete or incorrectly completed, please contact me at (XXX) XXX-XXXX immediately. I look forward to hearing from you or your CCW application coordinator and am eager to complete the process and receive your determination within 90 days from your receipt of my enclosed application.

I hereby certify under penalties of perjury and Penal Code section 12051(b) and (c), that the answers I have given on the enclosed CCW application are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Mr(s). XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
123 Main St.
XXXX, CA 9XXXX
(209) XXX-XXXX
XXXXXXX@XXX.com

2. Fill out the "Fillable DOJ CCW Application (http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/DOJ_CCW_App_Fillable.pdf)" as instructed in the application itself.

3. Send the cover letter, the filled out CCW Application, and a $20 check or money order made out your county sheriff via certified mail, return receipt requested or Fedex/UPS with tracking to your county sheriff.

If you are to be denied, you now have proof that you attempted to comply with the State requirements to carry but were rebuffed by the licensing authority (or you might just get a permit...) However, if you later have an interaction with law enforcement that is sub-par, the actual fact of your application and denial will make that interaction far more valuable to the fight for gun rights.

CGF remains unwilling to defend UOC cases generally. However, we will be far more amenable to a UOC case where the UOCer attempted to comply with PC § 12050 and has proof via a return receipt of tracking information, as it significantly narrows the counter arguments that a law enforcement agency can make.

Yes, many have done this. The level of sucess depends on who you are talking to.

Decoligny

I live in Kern County.

I applied for a License to Carry Concealed Pistol, Revolver, or Other Firearm Within the State of California.

A total of 4 months and $261.00 later ($161 in fees, $100 for training), I have my permission slip. I am now allowed the privilege of carrying a loaded firearm, hidden from sight so the fearful masses don't wet themselves.

It seems such a polar opposite of free states like Vermont, where you don't need permission, and they don't even have a method in place to ask permission.

Last edited:

acmariner99

It seems such a polar opposite of free states like Vermont, where you don't need permission, and they don't even have a method in place to ask permission.

You know what the tragic irony is? Vermont is considered the most liberal state in the Union. Liberal as in LIBERTY! Though I am "glad" you can defend yourself regardless. I wish it was the same for the rest of California. Im guessing if you live in a coastal county, issue of permission slips is certainly no issue? And I also assume you cannot open carry if you have a CCW?

wildhawker

For reasons we will expand on soon, it's our position that carry license applications must be made in person. Beyond that, we continue to support the practice of applying (and being denied) prior to openly bearing unloaded arms.

-Brandon

Sheriff XXXX XXXX
XXX Main St.
XXXXXX, CA 9XXXX

Dear Sheriff XXXXX,

Mr(s). XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
123 Main St.
XXXX, CA 9XXXX
(209) XXX-XXXX
XXXXXXX@XXX.com