• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

There's a lesson in this--Seattle Superhero Arrested

tombrewster421

Vitaeus

right or wrong the fellow is involved and cares about keeping crime off the streets. I am not sure I think what he is doing is a good idea or not, but, he is NOT just standing by and letting things happen, the idea of caring about what happens to others is part of the restoration of police to peace officers and not an occupying army asking for our papers.

sirpuma

No, Like This

View attachment 7108
A pedestrian was bending down to pickup some item on the street.

Ah, yes, this shot, where our masked crusader actually physically HIT the car as it drove by. The guy in white didn't get hit, not sure why he was in the street. Perhaps the person who was trying to get away from the masked assailant couldn't tell which way to go. And whether or not the driver was trying to hit the guy in white is unknown. And it still doesn't negate the fact that if he hadn't run down there and sprayed those people, none of that would have happened.

Last edited:

sirpuma

Allegedly. So was he charged for anything?

Per that same article.

The costumed Jones, 23, was arrested on suspicion of fourth-degree assault just before 3 a.m., accused of using pepper spray on four people who were treated by medics, according to a Seattle police report.

Jones — whose real name is Benjamin John Francis Fodor — spent a little over seven hours in the King County Jail before posting $3,800 bail Sunday afternoon, according to jail records and Kimberly Mills, a spokeswoman for Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Ah, yes, this shot, where our masked crusader actually physically HIT the car as it drove by. The guy in white didn't get hit, not sure why he was in the street. Perhaps the person who was trying to get away from the masked assailant couldn't tell which way to go. And whether or not the driver was trying to hit the guy in white is unknown. And it still doesn't negate the fact that if he hadn't run down there and sprayed those people, none of that would have happened.

"not sure why he was in the street" does it really matter it is pretty clear the drivers intent was to hit him with his car and no less he was in the cross walk and by law you are required to stop.

"couldn't tell which way to go" cone on really, if the driver was afraid then why did they do a U Turn to come right back at him instead of continue driving away?

I feel SPD DROPPED THE BALL BIG TIME.

FMCDH

His heart is in the right place, but his head isn't.

The guy is an idiot. A well meaning idiot, but an idiot all the same.

And I agree with Dave, SPD dropped the ball big time and in many ways. I mean seriously, it takes them 20+ minutes to respond to a multiple assault call in the near center of the city?

Its not like traffic got in their way. :rolleyes:

Schlepnier

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
This guy has been held at gunpoint before while trying to stop a fight. He as also had is nose broken and been on the news for that. < just throwing it out there, he's been doing this "crime fighting" for a while.

FMCDH

Just on the evening new...No charges will be filed...,

After seeing the video, I kinda doubted there would be.

Hes still going to end up getting seriously hurt or dead in one of his "interventions" tho. Its just a matter of time until he pepper sprays some drunk or drugged out individual who is packing more than a high heel shoe.

Less headlong rushing, and more observing and reporting, only physically intervening when someone is seriously in danger of loss of life.

I figure in the end, its his life to lose how he wishes tho.

Last edited:

amlevin

Just on the evening new...No charges will be filed...,

Kimberly Mills, a spokeswoman for the city attorney's office, said prosecutors will decide whether to file charges against him after they finish interviewing witnesses and complete the investigation into the incident Sunday.

Am I missing something here? How do you translate this statement into "no charges will be filed". In reality, nobody knows yet for sure. It's still up to the City Attorney's office.

Contrarian

Seattle 'Superhero'

From the CNN article:

"If you see something that warrants calling 911, call 911. You don't need to dress up in a costume to do that," police spokesman Mark Jamieson said."

Er, they DID call...no one responded. Seattle has a tradition of operating this way. Look back to 1999 and the WTO fiasco.

I think that Super-Duper Guy is destined for a chalk outline; but you gotta admit he has heart.

Dave_pro2a

Lesson: SPD is really vindictive, incompetent, and racist.

But hey, we know that due to the police murdering people and being investigated by the Feds.

Last edited:

sirpuma

In an interview with Dori Monson the other day he said he's already been shot once and was glad he was wearing a vest. But I also think if he keeps it up someone is going to get severely hurt or killed and likely him.

massivedesign

20 minutes to respond, to a busy part of town, when the caller is reporting vehicular assault, a lot of people fighting, pepper spray and numerous ongoing threats / assaults...

This should be more of a "Why I carry" example. I say good for Phoenix. He'll get his ass handed to him one day when he messes with the wrong group, but if he stops even ONE violent crime, then kudos. Besides, he really is living out what all of us fantasized to be.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I feel this highlights the idea the Officer/s overreacted and unlawfully arrested this Superhero.
I feel the the city attorney felt if he had a chance at all to prosecute the assault charge he would have there and then and the statement of future investigation and charges may follow is just a saving face statement.

While I like the concept of being pro active in the community I feel many have tagged him a wacko because of the costume and as many know it will be hard to gather approval or support from the majority in doing so.

Last edited:

amlevin

While I like the concept of being pro active in the community I feel many have tagged him a wacko because of the costume and as many know it will be hard to gather approval or support from the majority in doing so.

It IS hard to take someone seriously when you are choking back the urge to break into laughter

4.gif

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It IS hard to take someone seriously when you are choking back the urge to break into laughter

4.gif

I agree with what you said and apply it not just someone wearing a Superhero Costume as not so long ago I saw couple law enforcement officers off to lunch in civilian clothes wearing, yep drop leg holsters, Camo Shirts and a Black Hat, they were making a statement as well. :lol: