• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traffic Stop Success

Firefighter524

I am a firefighter in Southwest Missouri and also an OCer. The only time I do not OC is when on a call.( Fire = Heat + Bullets = not a good thing ) Today while driving through town I was stopped for a turn signal violation. What happend next what priceless.

Officer: Can I take a look at your ID
Me: Yes sir but before we go any further I wanted to let you know that I do have a loaded firearm on my hip
Officer: That's fine your a firefighter I trust you

Now I strive for trust as a firefighter but when it's a city officer and some guy he doesn't know that has a firearm it was priceless.

Firefighter524

Officer didn't take the weapon or anything just continued as nothing was different !! It was kinda nice to know that an officer trusted me like that!!

DocWalker

Officer didn't take the weapon or anything just continued as nothing was different !! It was kinda nice to know that an officer trusted me like that!!

As a former Firefighter I can tell you he was probably thinking that you were on the same team...I.E. Fire, Police, Ambulance as they all drive fast with flashing lights.

Or he could have been worried that if he harrassed you to much and his house caught fire that you would let it burn....lol

chakragod

Not to be a downer, but you really should just refrain from telling an officer that you are carrying. There have been documented incidents where someone has said something similar to what you did, and then they were dragged out of the car and harassed, along with their weapon taken. I used to think the same way until I saw it on video, now I would never tell them unless they saw it and asked.

Festus_Hagen

Not to be a downer, but you really should just refrain from telling an officer that you are carrying. There have been documented incidents where someone has said something similar to what you did, and then they were dragged out of the car and harassed, along with their weapon taken. I used to think the same way until I saw it on video, now I would never tell them unless they saw it and asked.
Depends on your demeanor and attitude 99% of the time I've found . Some people BEG to get attention.

And they do . ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Depends on your demeanor and attitude 99% of the time I've found . Some people BEG to get attention.

And they do . ;)

So, the rest of us who do not beg to get attention are supposed to risk being ordered out of the car, and suffer the indignity of having our defensive handgun seized, and our serial number run through government computers by the remaining 1% of cops?

Keep in mind that you may not be able to tell whether the cop is a "good" cop or "bad" cop until its too late.

Unless disclosure is legally required, I would like to suggest considering not notifying the officer about a gun. It just introduces an unnecessary dynamic into the equation.

Also, if you are in your own state and have a CC permit, the officer is probably going to be notified anyway when he runs your driver's license. There would be his notification. And, you can bet the police were the very people who wanted that CC permit to show up when the driver's license is run.

Festus_Hagen

So, the rest of us who do not beg to get attention are supposed to risk being ordered out of the car, and suffer the indignity of having our defensive handgun seized, and our serial number run through government computers by the remaining 1% of cops?

Keep in mind that you may not be able to tell whether the cop is a "good" cop or "bad" cop until its too late.

Unless disclosure is legally required, I would like to suggest considering not notifying the officer about a gun. It just introduces an unnecessary dynamic into the equation.

Also, if you are in your own state and have a CC permit, the officer is probably going to be notified anyway when he runs your driver's license. There would be his notification. And, you can bet the police were the very people who wanted that CC permit to show up when the driver's license is run.
Do what YOU want.

I don't get hassled by the police. Period.

Firefighter524

The officer that stopped me was from the city i live in not the one I firefight for so I had never talked to him before. However I work in law enforcement for a bit and everybody kinda knows everybody around here. Got out of law enforcement because of all the politics. I mean the wording in a report could me the difference in ruining somebodies life forever and I'm not about that. I started firefighting and am addicted. LOL as far as notifying the officer I was armed. I do not have a ccw at this time but I do open carry. So I didn't want him to spot the firearm on my hip while I was going for my wallet and freak out. But I do understand there is a decent percentage of "rookie" officers in my area that would seize the moment to pull their weapon and make a huge show for nothing. This how ever was an officer that has worked for the city for years and I was fairly sure he'd have a decent reaction, just wanted to test the waters really !! LOL

DocWalker

The officer that stopped me was from the city i live in not the one I firefight for so I had never talked to him before. However I work in law enforcement for a bit and everybody kinda knows everybody around here. Got out of law enforcement because of all the politics. I mean the wording in a report could me the difference in ruining somebodies life forever and I'm not about that. I started firefighting and am addicted. LOL as far as notifying the officer I was armed. I do not have a ccw at this time but I do open carry. So I didn't want him to spot the firearm on my hip while I was going for my wallet and freak out. But I do understand there is a decent percentage of "rookie" officers in my area that would seize the moment to pull their weapon and make a huge show for nothing. This how ever was an officer that has worked for the city for years and I was fairly sure he'd have a decent reaction, just wanted to test the waters really !! LOL

Good for you about the fire fighting being addictive. I for one never really enjoyed the HOT, I was in it for the medical job. They did make me do the fire fighting I and II courses and I had my share of fires I had to deal with. It always seemed that the fire was on the top floor to me also....lol I worked for Spokan County Fire and a did some time with the Baltimore City Fire Department.....scary situation there.

I don't do burning building anymore.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
While I am pleased to read that your traffic stop went off without any drama related to the presence of your lawfully carried firearm, I am disappointed that the officer identified you as a "good guy"
That's fine your a firefighter I trust you
based on your being part of the public service brotherhood, rather than commenting that you were a law abiding citizen exercising your right.

The officer's comment is his way of elevating you (at least for the duration of the stop) to the fraternity of Only Ones. If you are not familiar with that phrase I suggest you look it up. It is not sothing you call someone you like or respect.

stay safe.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I spent a century and a half over 13 years (weekend in Toledo one afternoon reference) in MISERY.... Lamar to be exact!.... but it was a short 20 years ago when I escaped!

alispissed

Some just behave in such a way to cause concern for cops.

Some groups just hate cops or any with authority. Really what are you afraid of. Seems that law enforcement cant behave properly for most on this forum. Any action gets picked apart. Trusts you and some like it, others dont. Lets be fair people.

Some people dont make it as a cop and become firemen.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Some just behave in such a way to cause concern for cops.

Some groups just hate cops or any with authority. Really what are you afraid of. Seems that law enforcement cant behave properly for most on this forum. Any action gets picked apart. Trusts you and some like it, others dont. Lets be fair people.

Some people dont make it as a cop and become firemen.

I love firemen!!! They respond only when needed and don't feel the need to go around harassing citizens. They are completely different professions so I'm not sure I really get your comment.

I don't hate cops. I hate cops who harass citizens and don't follow the law.

Last edited: