• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I had my first open carry in public today :)

xrayz540

i live in wakefield, ks (clay county). I just recently acquired a sig sauer p250 .45 full size, so i figured i would take my first oc trip today. Just fyi i called the clay county pd before making my venture out and they said that clay county allows oc and that they follow the same laws as the state of ks. So i go to the short stop to grab a pack of smokes and a beer...no comments all in all a good experience(besides the fact that the cashier had a wtf look in his face as he stuttered and gave me my change).

p.s. would love some feedback for other oc friendly places in clay county. :) thanks in advance

Last edited:

protias

Welcome to the forum, congrats on your first OC. I'm not from KS and don't know much about carrying there, but it is something I'm trying to research myself as a friend of mine moved there recently. Isn't it good to know the police at least respect our right to carry and won't harass you?!

xrayz540

Yes it is. The detective I talked to was very nice and respectful when I asked and he consulted with others to make sure the info he was giving me was correct, he also offered to get back with me if I had any questions on getting a concealed permit. Never once was I asked "why would you want to carry a gun".

PS. I don't know much about ks either I'm only here because of military obligation to be in ks. I'm from NC but I've been here for 2 yrs and it's good to know I am able to exercise my rights if I so please

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

protias

Yes it is. The detective I talked to was very nice and respectful when I asked and he consulted with others to make sure the info he was giving me was correct, he also offered to get back with me if I had any questions on getting a concealed permit. Never once was I asked "why would you want to carry a gun".

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

I could also say, "Don't talk to Police," but sometimes they do know and respect the law.

xrayz540

I oc'd again today....And ogden is a oc friendly city(the places i tryed were, quantico tactical, the pawn and gun store right across from quantico)

also the quantico in junction city is oc friendly.

:)

marine0300

Thank you for open carrying

Xrayz540,

Thank you for open carrying I appreciate your courage. The only way for OC’ers to have the public accept us is to exercise our right and open carry. They hopefully will just get used to seeing us and regard it as normal.

Remember a couple of things just act casual and go about whatever you’re doing in a normal way and what you will find is nobody cares or hardly even notice you’re carrying. Dress nice your shirt tucked in with a belt. I believe being dressed nice makes other non-OC’ers feel more comfortable around you. No drop down holsters just high on the hip with a holster and pistol that blends in with your clothing.

Next step is to get a couple other people who are willing to OC and meet at a coffee place and sit down for a drink. One other thing I have a concealed carry license and in Topeka I do what I call the transition. I go back and forth form OC to CC and vice versa all the time. Just depends on the situation. Sure is fun to be able to do that.

Keep your powder dry,

Marine0300

Last edited:

xrayz540

Xrayz540,

Thank you for open carrying I appreciate your courage. The only way for OC’ers to have the public accept us is to exercise our right and open carry. They hopefully will just get used to seeing us and regard it as normal.

Remember a couple of things just act casual and go about whatever you’re doing in a normal way and what you will find is nobody cares or hardly even notice you’re carrying. Dress nice your shirt tucked in with a belt. I believe being dressed nice makes other non-OC’ers feel more comfortable around you. No drop down holsters just high on the hip with a holster and pistol that blends in with your clothing.

Next step is to get a couple other people who are willing to OC and meet at a coffee place and sit down for a drink. One other thing I have a concealed carry license and in Topeka I do what I call the transition. I go back and forth form OC to CC and vice versa all the time. Just depends on the situation. Sure is fun to be able to do that.

Keep your powder dry,

Marine0300

thank you.

might try to organize a lil get together here in the near future. just need to find out some of the ordinances around some localities before i do.

MudFlap

I started OCing when I got back from my deployment. Surprisingly enough, I haven't gone on a shooting spree. Not even a single time. :banana: I have noticed that children seem to notice a pistol more than an adult. I'm no shrink, but I attribute it to two things, based off the experience I have as a father of four boys. One, little kids are often at eye-level with yer hip, and two, kids are often observant. They see everything and take everything in simply because so much is new to them. Having said that, I was in a gas station recently, and a little girl noticed my GI 1911. I was wearing blue jeans and a tucked in black t-shirt, nothing fancy. Little girl noticed it, told mommy, who got scared I was about to go on a rampage. She commented to the store assistant manager, who instantly looked at my hip. I heard him say there's nothing to worry about. Then she turned to me and said "My daughter thinks yer goin hunting". I simply replied "Not right now". A lady 2 or 3 places behind me in line whom I'd visited with going into the store said "You probably wouldn't choose that one anyway if you were hunting. Sure looks cool tho" I gave them both a friendly smile, bought my Copenhagen and kindly went on my way. All that without a single shot being fired. Gun Nazis hate stories like that!

xrayz540

I started OCing when I got back from my deployment. Surprisingly enough, I haven't gone on a shooting spree. Not even a single time. :banana: I have noticed that children seem to notice a pistol more than an adult. I'm no shrink, but I attribute it to two things, based off the experience I have as a father of four boys. One, little kids are often at eye-level with yer hip, and two, kids are often observant. They see everything and take everything in simply because so much is new to them. Having said that, I was in a gas station recently, and a little girl noticed my GI 1911. I was wearing blue jeans and a tucked in black t-shirt, nothing fancy. Little girl noticed it, told mommy, who got scared I was about to go on a rampage. She commented to the store assistant manager, who instantly looked at my hip. I heard him say there's nothing to worry about. Then she turned to me and said "My daughter thinks yer goin hunting". I simply replied "Not right now". A lady 2 or 3 places behind me in line whom I'd visited with going into the store said "You probably wouldn't choose that one anyway if you were hunting. Sure looks cool tho" I gave them both a friendly smile, bought my Copenhagen and kindly went on my way. All that without a single shot being fired. Gun Nazis hate stories like that!

yea kids do seem to notice more than adults...like you said i would also attribute this 1 to the fact they are eye level to it and 2 the fact that most adults dont have any situational awareness.

prob gonna try to do some sort of open carry get together somewhere near (but not near) fort riley that way i dont have to try to d*** far. but if anyone is interested or has any ideas, then just hit me up or reply to this post.