• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time handgun owner. - Help needed.

csaunders

Hey guys and gals,

I'm was embarrassed to ask this but can someone teach me a few basics on owning a handgun for a newbie like me? I live close by to Concord and I just recieved my gun permit yesturday.

Would like help on the following if someone is willing.

Proper cleaning and oiling of a handgun.
Handgun basics.
Sight adjustment.

I qualified on the M16A2 in the Army but I didn't learn anything for a handgun. I was assigned to a transportation company. I decided to go with the Berreta 9MM PX4 Storm after extensive research.

Thanks,
Chris

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Your firearm should have come with an instruction booklet that tells you step by step on how to disassemble and reassemble the firearm. Once you disassemble it, you run a cloth with some CLP through the barrel. After that you run a dry cloth through it until nothing comes out on the cloth. Then take a cloth with a light coat of CLP and rub down all the parts of the weapon. Use a tooth brush or something small to get the crevices and stuff. Then take a dry cloth and wipe it down. Once you're done cleaning, reassemble it. Then dry test it to make sure you reassembled it right. If you did not get a booklet you can go to Barettas web sight and download a file with the instructions for it.

The instructions will tell you how to adjust the sights as well. Most handguns are really accurate right out of the factory though and do not need to be adjusted.

As far as hundgun basics and rule: use the same basics you were taught in the Army with the M16A2. Think about taking a class and go to the range as much as possible. Become so familiar with the firearm that it becomes muscle memory to do anything with it.

That's pretty much all I have. I'm sure you will get some people from the NC forum who will be glad to meet up with you to help you out.

csaunders

Thanks!

I was told that I would need to remove the packing grease from the gun before I shoot it. What would you recommend I use to clean it? I heard to use brake cleaner?

Thanks,
Chris

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I never heard of anyone using break cleaner. Just got to any store that sales cleaning kits and get a hundgun cleaning kit. Also get some extra cleaning rags. On the same shelf there will be all the oils/cleaners you need. Just read the label and pick one you think will work good. Most stores that sale any sports/outdorrs stuff will have that stuff.

chiefjason

If you can ignore the fact that it's pink and purple and geared towards women, this is a fantastic site! Tons of good info here. I've read through most of it at some point. Probably covers everything your are asking.

http://corneredcat.com/Contents/

For cleaning, get some dedicated supplies for the pistol. Brake clean is for cars. Most of my stuff came from Wallyworld. But Dicks, Bass pro, or a local gun shop would have everything you need. Don't blow a lot of money on some big kit if the pistol is all you have. Get a cleaning rod, 9mm brush, a head for the patches, cleaning patches, and some CLP and you should be GTG. Maybe some cheap towels to soak up any extra CLP when you clean. A toothbrush and some q tips are handy too.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Automotive nut here! Don't use brake cleaner. It can easily ruin any plastic or coatings on your firearm. the stuff will strip the paint off a car in hours, sometimes minutes if in direct sunlight.

This.

It does work on parkerized finishes tho. Strips out the oil, so you'll have to put it back, but it does no harm.