• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Patch.com - California group calls for rifle carry in public

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://pacifica.patch.com/articles/...sts-police-react-to-passage-of-open-carry-law

SNIP

Over the past two years, Arntzen has helped organize protests at Bay Area restaurants where open carry proponent groups have hosted armed meetings.

Those groups include statewide chapters of Responsible Citizens of California, an organization that advocates the right to open carry.

Yih-Chau Chang, the organization's press secretary, said the group was disappointed with the governor's approval of AB 144, but that "this certainly is not going to stop the open carry of handguns."

He said open carry proponents statewide are already planning to challenge the law in court.

Chang added that many such advocates, including himself, carry exposed, unloaded handguns on a daily basis and will likely choose to openly carry unloaded long guns in lieu of handguns once the law takes effect in January.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Is this for real? Where is the money for this going to come from? People should not make statements like this unless they actually mean it, and can pay for it.

I am sure that there are numerous groups planning lawsuits. Pretty much every news article covering the passing of AB144 has noted this fact. They have been raising money since AB144 was first introduced.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
I am sure that there are numerous groups planning lawsuits. Pretty much every news article covering the passing of AB144 has noted this fact. They have been raising money since AB144 was first introduced.

Who? Name one, specifically.

I don't mean to be an ass, and I hope somebody with deep pockets does sue, but I have serious doubts. And the press will just repeat ANYTHING you tell them, true or not, especially if they like the sound of it.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
It says the law doesn't apply to people with a concealed permit. So...IF you have a concealed permit, you CAN open carry?

No. The law was changed in 2009, that one must carry in accordance with the type of license that they were issued. While there are licenses to carry "Loaded and Exposed", their issuance is limited to counties of less than 200,000 at the last census and are only valid inside the county where they are issued. (Which to me, is an equal protection problem.)