• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olive Garden - American flag display would disrupt dining. First guns, now flags

KBCraig

Olive Garden doesn't have meeting rooms, so this group wanted to, essentially, hold their meeting, with pledge and all, in the open dining area.

If I was eating there unaffiliated with a group --any group-- who disrupted my meal in that way, I'd be very irritated. Allowing such disruptions is bad business, but then so is ******* off a lot of people due to bad publicity. It's a careful balancing act. When I was a full service restaurant manager, I sometimes had to make that decision, knowing that the customer is not always right. The customer who drives away other customers is wrong!

streetdoc

Olive Garden doesn't have meeting rooms, so this group wanted to, essentially, hold their meeting, with pledge and all, in the open dining area.

If I was eating there unaffiliated with a group --any group-- who disrupted my meal in that way, I'd be very irritated. Allowing such disruptions is bad business, but then so is ******* off a lot of people due to bad publicity. It's a careful balancing act. When I was a full service restaurant manager, I sometimes had to make that decision, knowing that the customer is not always right. The customer who drives away other customers is wrong!

I strongly agree!

Redbaron007

Not a big fan of OG, period. However, I had to visit our local one for a family gathering.....the one here did not have any signage prohibiting firearms.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So do they proscribe carrying weapons or not?

There is a recent letter from corporate (Darden) saying that they do not.......somewhere here on OCDO - anybody got that link?

The indication is that they will follow local guidelines.

okboomer

Try this link for her response to the "banquet" room situation ... this lady has been booking accomodations for a while so I believe her when she says they even assigned her a banquet room number.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Try this link for her response to the "banquet" room situation ... this lady has been booking accomodations for a while so I believe her when she says they even assigned her a banquet room number.

That certainly adds another layer to the story. Did anyone ever get an official response corroborating the quote from Facebook?

On a completely different note. What the hell does this have to do with the rest of the article and why is it worth noting?

"It is probably worth noting that just last month, Darden Restaurants agreed to partner with Michelle Obama's "Partnership for a Healthier America" by cutting the calorie and sodium levels of menu items by 10 percent within the next five years and 20 percent within the next 10 years."

Last edited:

okboomer

That certainly adds another layer to the story. Did anyone ever get an official response corroborating the quote from Facebook?

On a completely different note. What the hell does this have to do with the rest of the article and why is it worth noting?

"It is probably worth noting that just last month, Darden Restaurants agreed to partner with Michelle Obama's "Partnership for a Healthier America" by cutting the calorie and sodium levels of menu items by 10 percent within the next five years and 20 percent within the next 10 years."

That's your "Political Check" to see if you toe the "government runs your life for you" line? :cuss:

Redbaron007

I just happen to visit OG yesterday for a family function. There were no signs prohibiting CCW; therefore, here in MO, it is open to OC (city allows OC), unless they request you to leave.

I did speak to the mgr on duty and asked what their policy is for CCW/OC; he stated they honor what the state's laws/regs are for CCW. He was unaware OC was legal in the city, too. He stated he would have to follow up with 'corporate' if someone OCd into the resturant. He said absent LEO, he would not feel comfortable with someone OCg. :confused:

since9

Campaign Veteran
If I was eating there unaffiliated with a group --any group-- who disrupted my meal in that way, I'd be very irritated.

Nah. Wouldn't bother me in the least. Water off a duck's back. Viva la difference!

The customer who drives away other customers is wrong!

Customers who can't stand anyone else unless they're exactly like themselves are wrong. That's one of the main reasons people don't like to see us OC: We're different from them and therefore wrong.

But are we wrong? Or is it that sort of uniform mindset is wrong, and society just needs to lighten up and respect people for who they are, even if they're different?

xd shooter

This group, The Kiwanis Club, had reservations AS A meeting Club. It's not like they walked in off the street demanding to set up banners and the like, taking over an area of the restaurant without prior knowledge of the restaurant.

If the Restaurant had a problem with this then they shouldn't have made the reservation in the first place.

I apologize for my miswording of corroborate/collaborate...geez..:p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think steak houses have an innate understanding of what it takes to get meat on the table.

Pasta? Not so difficult...

Unfortunately al dente is a term and practice that is often not served - you'll never get it from a microwave zapped meal.

revjen45

I refuse to eat at OG because the grub would gag a dog. That makes any policy regarding carry or the Flag irrelevant.

Justman1020

So i was headed to Applebee's in Washington (Off the 129 exit for anyone familiar with the area)
and i saw a car of one of my sgt's from work, so i just decided to eat at olive garden, which is in the same plaza.

Open carried my Ruger SR9 (Full size) in, with no issue's, sat strong side out, and nobody said a word the entire time, as i was leaving one of the hostess said "Nice gun" but nobody asked me to cover it up, (Which is good because i am still waiting for my Concealed carry permit anyways) and the world didn't end.