• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained by description

TFred

Interesting case, just happened last night, features one of the subjects we frequently discuss here: reasons for being detained.

In this case, it appears the detainee may be the right guy, he'll get his day in court, but I noticed the wording in the newspaper article and thought it was worth posting.

One interesting thing... what is "a short distance away" to you? In this case, depending on where in the shopping center he was found, it's almost 3/4 of a mile, as Google draws the route by road, at least half a mile straight-line. In a downtown city setting, that doesn't seem to be a short distance to me. Just curious.

TFred

Idlewild resident held in Fredericksburg slaying

[...]

Brunell was taken into custody about 10 minutes later and charged early today.

[Police spokesperson Natatia] Bledsoe said Brunell was walking in the Fredericksburg Shopping Center when law-enforcement officers spotted him. He was detained because he matched the description given by a witness at the scene, which is just a short distance away. The knife used in the stabbing was also recovered, police said.

[...]

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Anyone watch Brain Games?

The show Barin Games on National Geographic Channel did a show on eyewitness identification the other night. All the witnesses identified the wrong man. The one they identified as the perp was actually one of the witnesses to the crime not a participant in the crime. And none of them identified the perp that was in the line up.
:banghead:

Fallschirjmäger

About 3 miles per hour for an average, non-motivated walk, right? At that rate of 3mph....
= 1mile@20 minutes...
= .5 miles in 10 minutes, probably not too far to consider.

If doing a normal 'quick time' march for the military, then ....
30 inches * 120 paces/min * 60 mins = 216,000 inches (18,000ft)
18,000' / 5280 = 3.4 mph

Last edited: