Thread: If a sign says....

If a sign says....

If a sign states , " No weapons on premises"....is that different than one that says 'No weapons ALLOWED on premises'.... i see a definate grammatical difference...one of which is posted locally...give me your thoughts and Ill post a pic of what local building has this posted.

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    if you want to play the grammar technicallity game here is another

prem·ise (prms)
    n. also prem·iss (prms)
    1. A proposition upon which an argument is based or from which a conclusion is drawn.
    2. Logic
    a. One of the propositions in a deductive argument.
    b. Either the major or the minor proposition of a syllogism, from which the conclusion is drawn.
    3. premises Law The preliminary or explanatory statements or facts of a document, as in a deed.
    4. premises
    a. Land and the buildings on it.
    b. A building or part of a building.
    v. prem·ised, prem·is·ing, prem·is·es
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 10-12-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

The first one seems to be informing you that there are no weapons currently on the premises. The second one seems to prohibit weapons from being on the premises. Honestly though, I think the average person would interpret either one to mean no weapons.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-12-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    The first one seems to be informing you that there are no weapons currently on the premises. The second one seems to prohibit weapons from being on the premises. Honestly though, I think the average person would interpret either one to mean no weapons.
    What kind of average person?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Nay, I read it just as you do but see it as literal. Just like "No cash on premises", does this mean you can't use cash there an a only plastic is allowed? I am being... somwhat... facetious but I would take it literal if I a no weapons sign posted as such.

Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    We r al bove avrage, so hoo care wat da stoopid peeple think?
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Boy howdy.

The first one is obviously telling people there "are no weapons here". No Tanks, no nukes, no fruit cake, no hammers, etc. You must go somewhere else to purchase these items.

The second is saying "COME ON IN! THE PICKIN'S ARE FINE!".
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 10-12-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Boy howdy.

The first one is obviously telling people there "are no weapons here". No Tanks, no nukes, no fruit cake, no hammers, etc. You must go somewhere else to purchase these items.

The second is saying "COME ON IN! THE PICKIN'S ARE FINE!".
    No hands or feet either? I've read many of times where people are beaten with nothing more than fists and kicks.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    i was thinking of a sign for the shop; long haired freaky people need not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i was thinking of a sign for the shop; long haired freaky people need not apply.
    .... wait a minute fella...
    A. Gold

Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    If a sign states , " No weapons on premises"....is that different than one that says 'No weapons ALLOWED on premises'.... i see a definate grammatical difference...one of which is posted locally...give me your thoughts and Ill post a pic of what local building has this posted.
    What's your understanding of the signs that say "No shirt, no shoes, no service"?
    A. Gold

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    What's your understanding of the signs that say "No shirt, no shoes, no service"?
    Eww! I wouldn't eat at that restaurant! Half naked people without shoes and not just bad service but none at all? Count me out!
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 10-12-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Doesn't say anything about not wearing pants...

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    what if I had a membership card? Could I then, get inside?
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

These signs are not that big a deal, really. I can't tell you how many places I've gotten out of that were posted NO EXIT.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
    These signs are not that big a deal, really. I can't tell you how many places I've gotten out of that were posted NO EXIT.
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

with all respect, my 'understanding' isnt whats totally the issue... Its what is meant by the words THEY chose to post... Its not my job to have to figure out or deduce 'what is meant' when improper words are chosen. As for 'no shoes, no shirt, no service' that entire expression has a meaningin our culture...not easily confused with much else...the 'If you have- then youll get ' really isnt needed in that sentence because thats an 'understood' where as, 'allowed' carries all hte meaning on the sign (or if its NOT on the sign)

Quote Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
    You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

It's surprising how vague some of these signs can be.

You'd think it would be something like
    =========
    Prohibition: (blah-blah)
    By order of: (blah-blah)
    Contact info: (blah-blah)

Cite: (code, para, line)
    Cite: (preemption preemption)

Legal contact: Counselors at Law: Dewey, Cheatum and Howe Esq.
    =========

To give it some force of law or something. Otherwise, it's just a sign and legally vague. Most require a standard format of some kind, I think.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    Eww! I wouldn't eat at that restaurant! Half naked people without shoes and not just bad service but none at all? Count me out!
    Say what you will, the Hooters business model is wildly successful.