Thread: Applying to Indiana LTCH

Applying to Indiana LTCH

I MAY be moving to Indiana for a 6 month internship. Since I would be working (and living) in Indiana I will need to get an Indiana permit. Since I assume I'll still tech be a Michigan resident what do I need to do to get a non-resident LTCH from Indiana? Can I do it online? Should I possibly just go for the resident permit even though I won't be changing my DL to Indiana's?
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Non residents who work or own property in Indiana may apply for LTCH in the county where They are employed own the property.

If you have a MI CPL, you should be just fine. No need to get an IN LTCH.

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    If you have a MI CPL, you should be just fine. No need to get an IN LTCH.
    Correct, unless you qualify as an Indiana resident during your stay. IN residents require the IN LTCH to carry.

Consider this residency code for determining your status: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod...3/ar5/ch5.html

Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post
    Correct, unless you qualify as an Indiana resident during your stay. IN residents require the IN LTCH to carry.

Consider this residency code for determining your status: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod...3/ar5/ch5.html
    Thanks ATM. I thought I might have to get one because I would be working there but it appears it's only REQUIRED for residents. Since I will be only there for temporary employment and since it's an internship I'd consider it an education purpose but either way I'd be covered assuming I end up working in Indiana. I do believe since I will be working there I can get the non-resident permit which I may get, mainly for the GFSZ. I already have a Maine and North Dakota non-resident (I'm under 21 so I can't get MI).

C 3-5-5-7
    Temporary residency
    Sec. 7. A person does not gain residency in a precinct into which the person moves for:
    (1) temporary employment;
    (2) educational purposes; or
    (3) other purposes;
    without the intent of making a permanent home in the precinct.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

As far as I know, a handgun license does not exempt you from GFSZ in indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
    As far as I know, a handgun license does not exempt you from GFSZ in indiana.
    Yes it does.

(ii)if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    And from what I can tell they conduct a background check before issuing the permit.

It may exempt you from the federal law, but not from the state law:

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 0.1. The addition of this chapter by P.L.140-1994 applies to crimes committed after June 30, 1994.
    As added by P.L.220-2011, SEC.624.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar47/ch9.html

Quote Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
    It may exempt you from the federal law, but not from the state law:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar47/ch9.html
    I was referring to the GFSZA that prohibits one from being 1,000 feet of a school. If I had an Indiana non-resident and was in Indiana I could be within 1,000 feet.

Just tryign to follow here, are you saying a Non-Resident permit that you already have, does not exempt you from the gfsz?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken8521 View Post
    Just tryign to follow here, are you saying a Non-Resident permit that you already have, does not exempt you from the gfsz?
    I have a non-resident from Maine, a non-resident from North Dakota, and a "License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol" from Michigan. I can be within 1,000 feet of a school in Maine, North Dakota, and Michigan. No other states. The law requires that I must be "licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State" to be able to be within 1,000 feet. While it's not strictly enforced if I'm ocing within 1,000 feet of a school and a cop doesn't like it I'd hate to be charged with that.

We can have a gun in our vehicle on school property. As long as you pull up, drop kid off, and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    We can have a gun in our vehicle on school property. As long as you pull up, drop kid off, and leave.
    Most states appear to be like that. Which is nice.
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 10-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I have a non-resident from Maine, a non-resident from North Dakota, and a "License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol" from Michigan. I can be within 1,000 feet of a school in Maine, North Dakota, and Michigan. No other states. The law requires that I must be "licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State" to be able to be within 1,000 feet. While it's not strictly enforced if I'm ocing within 1,000 feet of a school and a cop doesn't like it I'd hate to be charged with that.
    Just visiting your neck of the woods and was iontruiged by the discussion.

The federal GFSZA requires that the permit/license be from the state where the school is located. Your non-Indiana non-resident permits may cover you for general carry but will not legally allow you closer than 1000 feet from any school covered by the GFSZA. For the OP that would mean an Indiana LTCH.

There is a lot of discussion on just about every gun board about the fact that the GFSZA is a federal law and thus cannot be charged by local/state LEA. That's a not-so-clever way of suggesting that folks intentionally violate the law on the chance that the feds will not be around to catch them within 1000 feet of a school, which as we all know would be a violation of OCDO rules.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Just visiting your neck of the woods and was iontruiged by the discussion.

The federal GFSZA requires that the permit/license be from the state where the school is located. Your non-Indiana non-resident permits may cover you for general carry but will not legally allow you closer than 1000 feet from any school covered by the GFSZA. For the OP that would mean an Indiana LTCH.
    That's exactly what I was saying. Whether the permit is resident or non-resident doesn't matter thought. The permit needs to be from the state which the school is located in. Although there is no guarantee I'll be moving there anyway, just a possibility.