Thread: Lock Boxes.. what do I need to know?

Lock Boxes.. what do I need to know?

Anything silly about CA law about what is approved and not for a lock box down there? I have something that I made and it works well.. Just hoping that CA doesn't have any silly rules about what is ok and not ok for a lockbox during transporting.. (in prep for my trip down that direction).
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Fully enclosed. Secure. Locked.

That about does it.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post

That about does it.
    But not a glove box. Who wears driving gloves anymore?

That about does it.
    Excellent.

I have a small, thin, aluminum skinned "box" of sorts with a handle and a pull over latch. I drilled a hole in the latch to fit a small lock (the same lock that came with the trigger lock of my Kahr) Gun and mags fit perfectly, and it doesn't "look" like a lockbox for a firearm of any sort. Its not fort knox or anything, but should keep things secure enough to pass muster with CA leo's I believe.
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

You could technically lock the gun in a backpack!

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Excellent.

I have a small, thin, aluminum skinned "box" of sorts with a handle and a pull over latch. I drilled a hole in the latch to fit a small lock (the same lock that came with the trigger lock of my Kahr) Gun and mags fit perfectly, and it doesn't "look" like a lockbox for a firearm of any sort. Its not fort knox or anything, but should keep things secure enough to pass muster with CA leo's I believe.
    Or in a gun case that came with your gun as long as it is padlocked and secure. I have seen the use of large cloth "pencil cases" with a padlock on used to transport they have an industrial type cloth zippered case available at HD or lowes for about $10 that would suffice. I'll try and post a pic of one shortly
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREMEOPS1 View Post
    Or in a gun case that came with your gun as long as it is padlocked and secure. I have seen the use of large cloth "pencil cases" with a padlock on used to transport they have an industrial type cloth zippered case available at HD or lowes for about $10 that would suffice. I'll try and post a pic of one shortly
    I had thought about that, however with KAHR outward on the container, thought that stood out a bit much for my taste.

Also, its plastic, and likely a pair of pliers could easily defeat it. At least this you'd have to actually try to get into it without the key.

Vdubb factor,

I use a Porter Cable tool bag. It has a heavy duty zipper that can be securely locked to a tab. It has a shoulder strap.

For transporting multiple hanguns, I use a paisley make-up bag that my wife discarded. Again, I lock the zipper back.

Urban camoflage is a good thing!

markm

Doesn't matter whether its plastic or cardboard !

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    I had thought about that, however with KAHR outward on the container, thought that stood out a bit much for my taste.

Also, its plastic, and likely a pair of pliers could easily defeat it. At least this you'd have to actually try to get into it without the key.
    As long as its a locked container thats the only requirement...now if you want it secure away from other people well go your way of handmade box etc ...but legally the locked container is all thats required it doesnt need to be fort knox (unless you want it to be!) Yep the gun name on the box is a big giveaway ...dont think any of mine has a gun name on them (at least the ones I carry my guns in ) lucky I guess but will have to go look and see now lol
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREMEOPS1 View Post
    As long as its a locked container thats the only requirement...now if you want it secure away from other people well go your way of handmade box etc ...but legally the locked container is all thats required it doesnt need to be fort knox (unless you want it to be!) Yep the gun name on the box is a big giveaway ...dont think any of mine has a gun name on them (at least the ones I carry my guns in ) lucky I guess but will have to go look and see now lol
    I hate to have to say this, but that isnt all there is.

The container has to fill the definitions in 12026.1- I didnt just pull those words out of the blue. A locked container made of cardboard, glass, or muslin is not 'secure'. A flap holster while secure and potentially lockable is not 'fully enclosed'. And a hard case closed with a zip tie is not 'locked'.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Yep I agree C3 cardboard isnt really the method

I hate to have to say this, but that isnt all there is.

The container has to fill the definitions in 12026.1- I didnt just pull those words out of the blue. A locked container made of cardboard, glass, or muslin is not 'secure'. A flap holster while secure and potentially lockable is not 'fully enclosed'. And a hard case closed with a zip tie is not 'locked'.

Penal Code Section 12026.1 defines a locked container as "a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock; combination lock, or similar locking device." Ok so the cardboard reference was a bit premature .....I have used both a lockable backpack and canvas lockable bags and have had zero issues with legality of using these methods. Yep muslin isn't actually quoted in my post.
    Last edited by EXTREMEOPS1; 10-20-2011 at 11:04 AM.