Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pediatricians survey - "Is there a loaded weapon in the house?"

Pediatricians survey - "Is there a loaded weapon in the house?"

A friend of mine took his daughter to get a flu shot at his doctors office today. They filled out the pediatricians survey for the flu shot. On this survey was the question : Is there a loaded weapon in your house? My question is, are they legally allowed to ask such a question?

I can't imagine any law against asking anything. The question seems to be, can they require an answer, and what is done with the information.

TFred

When he asked, they said that there was some research done a few years ago that people were more likely to lock up their weapons after discussing it with a pediatrician. The only thin is that this info goes into a computer, something he isn't to keen about. They answered no to the question.

.. and can they require a truthful answer? I mean what is there to stop anyone from answering "no" even if the truth would be "yes"? If I saw that question on a visit to my son's doctor I'd say 'no' .. which would probably be telling the truth, as the loaded one would be with me somewhere, either concealed on my person, or locked in my car
    Last edited by scouser; 10-12-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: failed to proof read my spelling before posting first time

If our pediatrician asks that question.... we'll find a new pediatrician. Anti-gun = NO FUNDS!

Quote Originally Posted by VASR9 View Post
    When he asked, they said that there was some research done a few years ago that people were more likely to lock up their weapons after discussing it with a pediatrician. The only thin is that this info goes into a computer, something he isn't to keen about. They answered no to the question.
    So they "think" they are "helping" you.

A perfect fit:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
    TFred

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    My buddy is a pediatrician and I asked him about this.

He said that it was a standard question on all their standard forms. He said that only recently had anyone ever questioned it.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I'd leave it blank. Just like I do with the block where they ask for my Social Security number.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    I'd leave it blank. Just like I do with the block where they ask for my Social Security number.
    I concur. This way you aren't really saying anything and you don't have to lie.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

On a recent trip to the Dr., I encountered this question. I left it blank, nothing was ever mentioned of it.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Agreed. I left my bank of 8 years because they required.... REQUIRED a SSN to open a new account. My response, "Are you going to pay my Social Security taxes for me? Or are you going to pay me a social security check when I retire? No? And I can't get a new account without providing it? Then close all my accounts, I'll bank somewhere else."

It is still illegal to use the SSN as an identification number for uses other than paying SS taxes, IIRC.

Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by VASR9 View Post
    Is there a loaded weapon in your house?
    They don't have to ask me because I Open Carry when I go.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

My response, "What, are you nuts?????"

First, it's illegal in Virginia to leave a loaded gun laying around where there's a kid under 14; and secondly, the loaded gun(s) is(are) securely attached to my belt right now! It wouldn't do much good if I'd left it at home and Badguy came into your office and started shooting, then, would it?
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    If our pediatrician asks that question... we'll find a new pediatrician. Anti-gun = NO FUNDS!
    It's a heck of a stretch to go from "Are there loaded guns in the house" to "Guns are bad, m'kay."

My pediatrician asked that question a few times and I said it's none of your business. Of course, when I OC'ed to their offices I was told about a super-secret internal memo which forbid me from carrying. When I asked to see it AND if I could have a copy, they hesitated. They finally let me see it, since I wasn't leaving until they did - and then I snapped a picture of it with my phone cam.

I am STILL waiting on a resolution from them. This thread has inspired me to reinitiate contact.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Cool

(OK, maybe not a stretch, but a mite presumptive.)

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCharles View Post
    On a recent trip to the Dr., I encountered this question. I left it blank, nothing was ever mentioned of it.
    We all know that those who don't answer the question in fact have a loaded gun at home. I mean, if you're not doing something wrong why not answer it :^)?

Why not ask if there are open containers of liquor in the house? Far more predictive of health effects. Sorry, that's a permitted hazard, what.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Neplusultra View Post
    I mean, if you're not doing something wrong why not answer it :^)?
    NOVACOP, is that you?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    A neighbor friend of mine had this question asked of him one time when he took his daughter to their pediatrician although the question was, "are there any guns in the house". His daughter, who was I believe eight at the time, answer, "Yes, my dad's rifles and handguns and my rifle". The doctor was taken back a bit by an eight year old girl who had her own rifle.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

i get asked the same dumb crap on my military physical paperwork. i answer yes everytime. when the doc asks about it is tell them its only good as a club if it aint loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by

He said that it was a standard question on all their standard forms.
    It was started a few yrs back (2008 iirc).
    The program is called Common Sense about Kids and Guns and it is a nonpartisan group co-founded by Kennedy that has worked for more than two years to promote responsible gun ownership and firearm storage practices.

I always write none of your business, when questioned by anyone about anything that is none of their business.

I did have one physician question me about my answer, my response "are you trained or qualified to teach/train others in the use of firearms?".
    If so, please provide documentation, are you prepared to be sued for giving false/misleading and potentially bad advice.
    Then I went on to explain how the CDC's firearm data was misleading/flat out lies.

The funniest part about the whole encounter is I was OC'ing during the visit. That was our last visit to that Dr. office.
    Our current peds office has a statment asking parents with firearms and other potentially dangerous items (swimming pool/large dogs/farm equipment) in or around the home to educate their family members about safe usage.

http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/doctors-epidemic.htm

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2541622/posts

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Article...=396&issue=023

http://www.policyalmanac.org/crime/a...nd_crime.shtml
    Last edited by Marco; 10-13-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: links added
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    It was started a few yrs back (2008 iirc).
    The program is called Common Sense about Kids and Guns and it is a nonpartisan group co-founded by Kennedy that has worked for more than two years to promote responsible gun ownership and firearm storage practices.

I always write none of your business, when questioned by anyone about anything that is none of their business.

I did have one physician question me about my answer, my response "are you trained or qualified to teach/train others in the use of firearms.
    If so, please provide documentation, are you prepared to be sued for giving false/misleading and potentially bad advice.
    Then I went on to explain how the CDC's firearm data was misleading/flat out lies. There happened to be a recently article that proved the CDC's info was flawed, I had a link but lost it.

The funniest part about the whole encounter is I was OC'ing during the visit. That was our last visit to that Dr. office.
    Our current peds office has a statment asking parents with firearms and other potentially dangerous items (swimming pool/large dogs/farm equipment) in or around the home to educate their family members about safe usage.

See now, when I go to my Dr.'s we end up talking guns. He has shown me his (he keeps it in his desk) with great delight and tells me what he has bought, what he is selling. My dentist has never had an issue with it either. I usually end up getting chased out by a nurse so he'll go back to work.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    I left my bank of 8 years because they required.... REQUIRED a SSN to open a new account.
    ask for the spanish and english forms, fill out the spanish forms as SSN is omitted, us the english forms as your guide.

BOT:
    It wasn't my dr. that questioned me about my NOYBA, it was our former/short term pediatrician, thery were dropped after that visit.
    My Dr and I talk guns/dogs/hunting, as I just arranged for him to get a ADBA reg APBT.
    The Dr that delivered my son took a H&K USP elite in 45acp and CHP class in lieu of $.

Our current peds office has no issue with me carrying openly, even though a few parents have complained.
    Last edited by Marco; 10-13-2011 at 10:14 AM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Being that my wife and I are expecting our first child in March, we haven't experienced this yet. This topic will be something to add to our list of considerations for when we start looking for a pediatrician.

Our kids' pediatrician's office asked the same question. The question is not as underhanded as might appear at first glance.

Every pediatrician we looked into when searching for our kids' doctor is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics. That group isn't necessarily anti-gun, but they seem to hold no reservations about reminding people who own guns that safety is paramount.

There is a brochure, for example, which outlines some basic concerns parents should have about guns in their home, or a child's friend's home.

My wife and I, like so many responsible gun owners, are safe and diligent with regard to our guns. The AAP is reminding parents that, while we might be safe, others might not be as safety conscious about their own guns. I figure that a pediatrician is doing his/her part in safety by at least posing the question. And I kindly refuse to acknowledge random "gun surveys".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast