• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pediatricians survey - "Is there a loaded weapon in the house?"

VASR9

A friend of mine took his daughter to get a flu shot at his doctors office today. They filled out the pediatricians survey for the flu shot. On this survey was the question : Is there a loaded weapon in your house? My question is, are they legally allowed to ask such a question?

VASR9

When he asked, they said that there was some research done a few years ago that people were more likely to lock up their weapons after discussing it with a pediatrician. The only thin is that this info goes into a computer, something he isn't to keen about. They answered no to the question.

scouser

.. and can they require a truthful answer? I mean what is there to stop anyone from answering "no" even if the truth would be "yes"? If I saw that question on a visit to my son's doctor I'd say 'no' .. which would probably be telling the truth, as the loaded one would be with me somewhere, either concealed on my person, or locked in my car

Last edited:

Blk97F150

If our pediatrician asks that question.... we'll find a new pediatrician. Anti-gun = NO FUNDS!

TFred

When he asked, they said that there was some research done a few years ago that people were more likely to lock up their weapons after discussing it with a pediatrician. The only thin is that this info goes into a computer, something he isn't to keen about. They answered no to the question.
So they "think" they are "helping" you.

A perfect fit:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis

TFred

Baked on Grease

I'd leave it blank. Just like I do with the block where they ask for my Social Security number.

Agreed. I left my bank of 8 years because they required.... REQUIRED a SSN to open a new account. My response, "Are you going to pay my Social Security taxes for me? Or are you going to pay me a social security check when I retire? No? And I can't get a new account without providing it? Then close all my accounts, I'll bank somewhere else."

It is still illegal to use the SSN as an identification number for uses other than paying SS taxes, IIRC.

Sent using tapatalk

user

Accomplished Advocate
My response, "What, are you nuts?????"

First, it's illegal in Virginia to leave a loaded gun laying around where there's a kid under 14; and secondly, the loaded gun(s) is(are) securely attached to my belt right now! It wouldn't do much good if I'd left it at home and Badguy came into your office and started shooting, then, would it?

wylde007

If our pediatrician asks that question... we'll find a new pediatrician. Anti-gun = NO FUNDS!
It's a heck of a stretch to go from "Are there loaded guns in the house" to "Guns are bad, m'kay."

My pediatrician asked that question a few times and I said it's none of your business. Of course, when I OC'ed to their offices I was told about a super-secret internal memo which forbid me from carrying. When I asked to see it AND if I could have a copy, they hesitated. They finally let me see it, since I wasn't leaving until they did - and then I snapped a picture of it with my phone cam.

I am STILL waiting on a resolution from them. This thread has inspired me to reinitiate contact.

Badger Johnson

Why not ask if there are open containers of liquor in the house? Far more predictive of health effects. Sorry, that's a permitted hazard, what.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
A neighbor friend of mine had this question asked of him one time when he took his daughter to their pediatrician although the question was, "are there any guns in the house". His daughter, who was I believe eight at the time, answer, "Yes, my dad's rifles and handguns and my rifle". The doctor was taken back a bit by an eight year old girl who had her own rifle.

diablos30

i get asked the same dumb crap on my military physical paperwork. i answer yes everytime. when the doc asks about it is tell them its only good as a club if it aint loaded.