Thread: Madison contemplates posting bus shelters

Madison contemplates posting bus shelters

I tuned in to the web broadcast of Madison's Transit and Parking Commission meeting today. It is pretty clear that the city plans to post every Madison Metro bus shelter and transfer point. They claim that "building" is not defined in Act 35 so they interpret this to mean "any structure." Their plan includes charging anyone with a firearm inside one of these "buildings" with trespassing. One member of the commission asked how, if bus shelters were specifically identified as non-buildings when the smoking ban was passed, the could now be considered "buildings."

What purpose could this action take other than to harass gun carriers? Will those people in the shelter be more safe simply because the armed person has to stand outside of the shelter to wait for the bus?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brasco_bus_shelter.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	7113  
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    leave it to madistan
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

McX
    they should waste some tax payer money to have stickers printed up that the homeless can put on their cardboard boxes, and the tent campers in the capitol can stick on their tents saying no guns allowed.

Glad I don't have to take the bus in Madistan, but if I did, I'd still ride the bus while armed.

I don't see how this can even be remotely legal to do. By their logic, a tent could be considered a building...
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Perfect for my non-sensitive places federal civil rights lawsuit idea..........
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

will (open/concealed) carry with a permit be legal on the bus itself?
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

Quote Originally Posted by IcrewUH60 View Post
    After 11/1/11, yes, according to the law.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    What purpose could this action take other than to harass gun carriers? Will those people in the shelter be more safe simply because the armed person has to stand outside of the shelter to wait for the bus?
    Non-tax revenue enhancement for the city.

Rather than setting up speed traps to line the city's coffers they can just nail carriers with a Class B forfeiture.

Now, I will get a "Firearms Welcome" sign for my tent....

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 10-13-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

this is why they make imprinted Umbrella's, someone needs to have a batch made that say... Madison Liberals SUCK..on them
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Herr Heckler Koch

Concealed carry won’t be allowed on Metro buses

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...e104488ca.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison.com
    Wisconsin’s new concealed carry law should not affect Metro Transit’s policy prohibiting guns on city buses, an assistant city attorney said Wednesday.

“We don’t believe the new law affects buses,” said Marci Paulsen.

“The municipalities that we’ve heard from are in agreement that it doesn’t impact buses,” Paulsen said.

She said Eau Claire and De Pere were the municipalities she was aware of that were in agreement.

Really? Bus shelters? I don't mean to be a pessimist but your new CC law seems to be causing more problems than good. Am I accurate in believing that all of these places that are now banning firearms were previously okay with OC?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I don't mean to be a pessimist but your new CC law seems to be causing more problems than good.
    In the case of bus shelters, it's not the law causing the problem as much as it is a few people... Come to Madison for awhile. You'll see.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    In the case of bus shelters, it's not the law causing the problem as much as it is a few people... Come to Madison for awhile. You'll see.
    This year you guys should fight for total pre-emption and then all these localities won't be able to do this stupid stuff. Is that in the playbook?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    This year you guys should fight for total pre-emption and then all these localities won't be able to do this stupid stuff. Is that in the playbook?
    The Republicans in Madison are too busy trying to reach across the isle & appease the Libs in a attempt to stay under the recall radar... That includes Walker ..if he was smart he would toss those rules in the garbage can, or line item veto most of it.....the winds of decent are a blowing, he might tick off the gun owners enough to vote against him in the recall..which would be bad... last year We voted for sweeping change & all we are getting is compromise across the board..stinking Coward Republicans as I remember when the Liberal Dems were in power they did what ever they wanted republicans had ZERO say as they were the minority...
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 10-13-2011 at 08:40 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK21GB View Post
    The Republicans in Madison are too busy trying to reach across the isle & appease the Libs in a attempt to stay under the recall radar... That includes Walker ..if he was smart he would toss those rules in the garbage can, or line item veto most of it.....the winds of decent are a blowing, he might tick off the gun owners enough to vote against him in the recall..which would be bad... last year We voted for sweeping change & all we are getting is compromise across the board..stinking Coward Republicans as I remember when the Liberal Dems were in power they did what ever they wanted republicans had ZERO say as they were the minority...
    That is what I am not getting. There are far more Conservative/Republicans than Liberals/Democrats.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun
    It is pretty clear that the city plans to post every Madison Metro bus shelter and transfer point.
    They claim that "building" is not defined in Act 35 so they interpret this to mean "any structure."
    The more crap like this goes on, the lower my supply of bad words gets.

One member of the commission asked how, if bus shelters were specifically identified as non-buildings when the smoking ban was passed, the could now be considered "buildings."
    But under the smoking ban, bus shelters were also specifically listed as outdoor places where smoking is prohibited. (Not that it's enforced or enforcable.)

+1,000,000

I think we have elected & appointed officials at several layers of gov't who are in violation of their oaths of office:
    19.01  Oaths and bonds
    (1)  Form of oath. Every official oath required by article IV, section 28, of the constitution or by any statute shall be in writing... in substantially the following form:
    I, the undersigned, who have been elected (or appointed) to the office of [office], but have not yet entered upon the duties thereof, swear (or affirm) that I will support the constitution of the United States and the constitution of the state of Wisconsin, and will faithfully discharge the duties of said office to the best of my ability

19.01 (2) Form of bond
    (a) Every official bond required of any public officer shall be in substantially the following form:

"We, the undersigned, jointly and severally, undertake and agree that [name], who has been elected (or appointed) to the office of [position], will faithfully discharge the duties of the office according to law, and will pay to the parties entitled to receive the same, such damages, not exceeding in the aggregate [amount] dollars, as may be suffered by them in consequence of the failure of [name] to discharge the duties of the office."

19.02 Actions by individuals Any person injured by the act, neglect or default of any officer, except the state officers, the officer's deputies or other persons which constitutes a breach of the condition of the official bond of the officer, may maintain an action in that person's name against the officer and the officer's sureties upon such bond for the recovery of any damages the person may have sustained by reason thereof...
    And I don't see how any city could possibly claim that a bus is a building.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 10-13-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    i'm no lawyer, but unless the state prohibits (by law) carrying on state owned ride-shares then we have a local policy that is clearly a preemption (wording?) violation?

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

Herr Heckler Koch
    i'm no lawyer, but unless the state prohibits (by law) carrying on state owned ride-shares then we have a local policy that is clearly a preemption (wording?) violation?
    State firearms preemption is as ineffectual as is 175.60(2) Issuance and scope of license.
    (a) The department shall issue a license to carry a concealed weapon to any individual who is not disqualified under sub. (3) and who completes the application process specified in sub. (7). A license to carry a concealed weapon issued under this section shall meet the requirements specified in sub. (2m).
    (b) The department may not impose conditions, limitations, or requirements that are not expressly provided for in this section on the issuance, scope, effect, or content of a license.
    (c) Unless expressly provided in this section, this section does not limit an individual's right to carry a firearm that is not concealed.
    (d) For purposes of 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (ii), an out-of-state licensee is licensed by this state.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    State firearms preemption is as ineffectual as is 175.60(2) Issuance and scope of license.
    (a) The department shall issue a license to carry a concealed weapon to any individual who is not disqualified under sub. (3) and who completes the application process specified in sub. (7). A license to carry a concealed weapon issued under this section shall meet the requirements specified in sub. (2m).
    (b) The department may not impose conditions, limitations, or requirements that are not expressly provided for in this section on the issuance, scope, effect, or content of a license.
    (c) Unless expressly provided in this section, this section does not limit an individual's right to carry a firearm that is not concealed.
    (d) For purposes of 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (ii), an out-of-state licensee is licensed by this state.
    errrrr... something the AG is supposed to enforce?