• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Personal Stories of Californians who Open Carry

Joshua Costa

Activist Member
In this time of great trials and tribulations it is important to put a story with our screen names.

Please share why you choose to Open Carry and What motivates you!

We are not nameless faceless avatars on a computer screen. We are Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters. We are the armed citizens of California and we have a story.

Please share.

Joshua Costa

Activist Member
I have a list of "safe" locations in my head that are free from school zones. This includes things like choosing to shop at my local Target that is not in a school zone instead of Walmart.
When ever I can I will choose one of my "safe locations" to go about my business for the day while open carrying I do that.

The more time that goes by the longer my list of safe locations gets, and the more I am able to open carry.
It would be awesome if I could conceal carry because I would be able to carry at a lot more places.

I just feel more comfortable with a firearm on me. After spending my time in the Marines I have a sense of duty to my family and community that I just cant shake. I don't know how I could live with myself if I were to let my family and my community down by not being there when they needed me. I don't know, maybe the Marine Corps just brain washed me good but I care very little for my own life, the only thing that brings me joy is knowing that I can protect and defend the people around me so they may go on and do great things. I am a simple servant of the Flag and will remain so until I die. I think that is the only thing I am really good at.

I thirst for knowledge, I love freedom, I love my family, I love my country.

I love organic gardening too! My winter garden is going in this weekend :)

Save Our State

I love organic gardening too! My winter garden is going in this weekend :)

Ours too! Tore out our above ground pool, brought in several yards of rich sandy loam from someone's basement excavation downtown, built a cute little fence around it, and even started a composting bin. We just bought a few dollars worth of seeds today.
Plant a few things that are edible soon too. That way you won't lose interest before the longer term stuff yields.

As for your question:

I carry for the same reasons most everybody else does:
1) desparate need for attention
2) fear
3) small tallywhacker

And now for the reasons I've deluded myself into believing are the reasons I carry.
1) It's part of my culture, along with fires for warmth, a knife to cut stuff, and a dog to bark at the mailman. Now knives are restricted, fires are only allowed on certain days, and the mailman may be eliminated in the next round of budget cuts. (the dog has been advised that his services may no longer be required if that happens)

2) It's in the bill of rights, and several of those are being slowly eroded from years or decades of dismissive indifference. See the once proud right to jury trial dismissed as impractical for modern civil management.

3) to keep the balance of power between government and the people. Nothing serves to remind a potential tyranist that there could be consequences to misuse of power like a willing display of hardware. (it's why we have the atomic bomb, but don't use it often; it's a deterrent)

Joshua Costa

Activist Member
1) Yes! The raping of our individual rights is in desperate need of attention.

2) I agree, it's a dangerous world out there, fear is a healthy human emotion that is used to asses risk.

3) Haha, yea it is small but it gets the job done! It's not the size of the piece that matters it's how you use it :)

MilProGuy

...the Marine Corps just brain washed me good but I care very little for my own life, the only thing that brings me joy is knowing that I can protect and defend the people around me so they may go on and do great things.

I am a simple servant of the Flag and will remain so until I die. I think that is the only thing I am really good at.

I thirst for knowledge, I love freedom, I love my family, I love my country.

:)

I shall read, with interest, the upcoming discussions on your thread.

Thank you for your service to our great nation.

In this day and age, when patriotism seems to have been put on the "back burner" (even in the White House), it is refreshing and inspirational to read of your love for freedom, family, and country!

pullnshoot25

At this stage of my life, I fear a cop much more than I fear the common criminal, for it generally seems that cops can act with state-sanctioned impunity and make my life a living hell for not much more than a simple "misunderstanding." It is a tough line to walk but that is generally where I stand.

I carry and have carried as a form of protest to the current state of affairs and as a way to engage and educate people in my day-to-day life about guns, the law, rights and our valuable history, among other things.