• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question regarding Walther P22

fire suppressor

This is not exactly a open carry question but I was not sure who ells to ask. I noticed on the slide of my Walther P22 it reads "Smith and Wesson" I am wondering what it is doing there how are the two company's are related. Thanks

Baked on Grease

This is not exactly a open carry question but I was not sure who ells to ask. I noticed on the slide of my Walther P22 it reads "Smith and Wesson" I am wondering what it is doing there how are the two company's are related. Thanks

I believe that S&W is the distributor for Walther in the US. They do not own Walther or having stake in the company other than being the sole distributor of arms for them in the US.

Edit: I had the same question when I bought my wife a pk380 last week.

Sent using tapatalk

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

Research this gun before buying one. There are lots of problems with it. The slide isn't even steel, it's a Magnezium alloy. Lots of problems ejecting spent rounds, lots of feed issues. The manufacturer recomends using high pressure .22LR ammo for best performance.

Superlite27

+1 on the above post.

My girlfriend carries a PK 380 (the .380 version of the P22), and I've fired it several times. I believe they are the same other than caliber. The ONLY thing it has going for it is that it is very ergonomic (It just feels[/] right in the hand) and it shoots nicely.

Other than that:

1) It's a complete P.I.T.A. to reassemble. (There's no retention "tube" under the tip of the muzzle, so it just sits in there.) The double wound spring is tiny, and very hard to compress. Added to the lack of any type of spring retention and "SPROING!" I've launched it across the room several times.

2) The mag release is just...plain...funky. A lever? Half the trigger guard is a lever? I guess the simple, easy to use button makes entirely too much sense. That's what I'd like to do if I ever need to reload it in self defense: try to find the lever that swings down from half the trigger guard.

3) Has anyone found a good holster for it? The closest thing I found is a generic "medium frame automatic" holster from Galco. Hope you don't like custom fit holsters designed for a specific model. If you do, your only hope is to go for hyper expensive, hand made jobs like Milt Sparks. I'm not the most patient of people when it comes to buying stuff. I like to walk into the store, find my item, buy it, and leave. Maybe someone here could find a place that sells a specific holster that says "Walther P22" or "Walther PK 380" on the package, but I've been unable to find a specific holster for one. (I have found a kydex model, but it is a package deal with a laser included, and the laser must be installed for it to fit in the holster. Otherwise, it just rattles around, as the holster retains the firearm by clamping the laser.) Until then, the GF is going to have to live with the generic Galco "medium automatic".

I tried suggesting alternative firearms, but she's dead set on the PK 380. Which is fine. Everyone should carry what they feel the most comfortable with, and she likes the way it feels and shoots. Just because I wouldn't personally carry one (I might own one just for plinking) is no reason NOT to own one. As I say, they are very egonomic and fun to shoot. But, IMHO, there are other quality, better built .22's out there that are not only cheaper, but more accurate, and just as much fun.

massivedesign

Research this gun before buying one. There are lots of problems with it. The slide isn't even steel, it's a Magnezium alloy. Lots of problems ejecting spent rounds, lots of feed issues. The manufacturer recomends using high pressure .22LR ammo for best performance.

I bought my P22 used and probably put at least 10k down the pipe, easy. All different types of ammo. The only one it was finicky on was Remington Golden. I sold it to buy a .22 conversion bolt for my AR. I do miss that P22 though, she was a fantastic gun.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I bought my P22 used and probably put at least 10k down the pipe, easy. All different types of ammo. The only one it was finicky on was Remington Golden. I sold it to buy a .22 conversion bolt for my AR. I do miss that P22 though, she was a fantastic gun.

I also have not had any problems with my P22. It has been much much more reliable than my Sig Mosquito.

HK_dave

on the P99:

guns with slides stamped S&W had modified frames made in germany with the slides and barrels made by S&W and the gun assembled in the US.
guns stamped "Walther" and "Interarms" on the slide are 100% german made.

i believe the same applies to the P22, slides and barrels made here.

and as to the feed issues, Walther modified the mags on later production runs to address this.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My P22 has been very reliable, impressively so, even with cheap bulk ammo. As for "high velocity" rounds being recommended, I know of very few automatic .22 pistols that don't recommend that, including my Kimber. I will agree that reassembly is not as easy as most other pistols, but you do get used to it.

I do know someone that open carries a P22 in the field, including the towns while on the trip. It's an adequate bunny pistol. Not as accurate as my Ruger Mark II, of course, but a helluva lot lighter.

Stat

say Whaaa

Wow, I’m very surprised by some of the negative comments. I have the limited addition P22 and it’s a Fantastic little pistol. This is my second one and I could not even guess how many bricks I have run through them. The mag release is made that way for both right and left hand shooters. The end of the barrel is threaded, multiple grip sizes, scope mount. I would say the P22 is a must have in the shooting bag. If you need a holster try Uncle Mikes.

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

I wasn't being negative, I was being cautionary. I have a friend who wanted me to look at her P22 because it would not stop stovepiping. I researched a bit on this gun and came up with the info I gave.

I was able to stretch the extractor spring a little, to aid in extraction. So far that has helped her. There is an aftermarket extractor with stronger spring, that is available. The aftermarket extractor has a bit more of a hook on it to grab the rim of the shell better. This, as I've found out, is the main reason for extraction problems with this gun.

I'm sure glad to hear that many here have this gun with no problems. I know the feeling when a gun doesn't work the way it should.

Riana

The only problem I've had with my P22 is frequent FTFs and FTEs when using any ammo other than CCI Mini-Mag. Gives me ample opportunity to practice my malfunction drills. :D

Take down is kind of a pain with the spring problem, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. And with both mag release and safety being ambidextrous, it's great for me (a lefty).

And yes, the P22 and PK380 are the same frame in different calibers - my P22 laser fits perfectly on the PK380 rail.

Stat

Two things: 1) I have a CMMG kit and it likes to go full auto. Is that happening to you? I showed it to 2 LEO's and they said "well it's not made to go full auto so? It's like a bump I guess?" Called the ATF and they said almost the same thing. Not sure what to do, it's more about position of your finger I think?

2) I know who you are; you gave me your card the other day. Thanks for letting me shoot your toy. To funny-

massivedesign

AH HA! Right on! Yet we lived in the same neighborhood and had no clue. PM sent by the way.

My .22 conversion has never gone FA. Odd that yours does. We should swap them, see what it does in eachothers AR's. That will let you know if it's the bolt or some internal issue. I have a FA bolt for my 5.56 rounds, but without the rest of the goodies, it won't / can't go FA without a bump fire.

SovereignAxe

+1 on the above post.

My girlfriend carries a PK 380 (the .380 version of the P22), and I've fired it several times. I believe they are the same other than caliber. The ONLY thing it has going for it is that it is very ergonomic (It just feels[/] right in the hand) and it shoots nicely.

Other than that:

1) It's a complete P.I.T.A. to reassemble. (There's no retention "tube" under the tip of the muzzle, so it just sits in there.) The double wound spring is tiny, and very hard to compress. Added to the lack of any type of spring retention and "SPROING!" I've launched it across the room several times.

2) The mag release is just...plain...funky. A lever? Half the trigger guard is a lever? I guess the simple, easy to use button makes entirely too much sense. That's what I'd like to do if I ever need to reload it in self defense: try to find the lever that swings down from half the trigger guard.

3) Has anyone found a good holster for it? The closest thing I found is a generic "medium frame automatic" holster from Galco. Hope you don't like custom fit holsters designed for a specific model. If you do, your only hope is to go for hyper expensive, hand made jobs like Milt Sparks. I'm not the most patient of people when it comes to buying stuff. I like to walk into the store, find my item, buy it, and leave. Maybe someone here could find a place that sells a specific holster that says "Walther P22" or "Walther PK 380" on the package, but I've been unable to find a specific holster for one. (I have found a kydex model, but it is a package deal with a laser included, and the laser must be installed for it to fit in the holster. Otherwise, it just rattles around, as the holster retains the firearm by clamping the laser.) Until then, the GF is going to have to live with the generic Galco "medium automatic".

I tried suggesting alternative firearms, but she's dead set on the PK 380. Which is fine. Everyone should carry what they feel the most comfortable with, and she likes the way it feels and shoots. Just because I wouldn't personally carry one (I might own one just for plinking) is no reason NOT to own one. As I say, they are very egonomic and fun to shoot. But, IMHO, there are other quality, better built .22's out there that are not only cheaper, but more accurate, and just as much fun.

It makes sense to guys like me that are left handed. VERY few guns are made left handed, so to find one with completely ambidextrous controls is a wonderful thing for us lefties.

You guys get scissors, golf clubs, knives, peelers, can openers, etc. All of which we either have to use in pain or buy specially made left handed. To you the ambi release is wierd, to me it's is one of the greatest features ever put onto a pistol

on the P99:

guns with slides stamped S&W had modified frames made in germany with the slides and barrels made by S&W and the gun assembled in the US.
guns stamped "Walther" and "Interarms" on the slide are 100% german made.

i believe the same applies to the P22, slides and barrels made here.

and as to the feed issues, Walther modified the mags on later production runs to address this.

What you describe I believe is true of the SW99. However, as long as the part has the Eagle over N proof mark on it, it was made in Germany. My P99AS has the barrel, slide, and frame all stamped with this mark. My slide also has Smith and Wesson Springfield, MA on it, but all that means is that it was imported into the US and distributed by Smith and Wesson. I'm pretty sure the P22 is the same way: Eagle over N on slide, frame and barrel.

Walther PPs and PPKs however. That is another story, unfortunately. They are completely made in the USA by S&W and bear no Eagle over N proof marks, despite having "Ulm, Germany" stamped on the slide.

fire suppressor

I bought my P22 shortly after I turned 21 I bought it because I liked it and I could afford to shoot it all day. I have herd some horror story's about the P22 and if I had researched it before I bought it I probably wouldn't have bought it. I have to say in its defense I love my P22 I must have just got a good one. I really can't complain it has been a great little target gun. It does jam occasional but a quick rack of the slide fixes the problem. I found with regular detail cleaning you can almost eliminate all of the mechanical jams and problems. I have to treat my P22 with a little extra TLC but overall I have been happy with it

SovereignAxe

I bought my P22 shortly after I turned 21 I bought it because I liked it and I could afford to shoot it all day. I have herd some horror story's about the P22 and if I had researched it before I bought it I probably wouldn't have bought it. I have to say in its defense I love my P22 I must have just got a good one. I really can't complain it has been a great little target gun. It does jam occasional but a quick rack of the slide fixes the problem. I found with regular detail cleaning you can almost eliminate all of the mechanical jams and problems. I have to treat my P22 with a little extra TLC but overall I have been happy with it

I think that when a .22 has a failure of some sort, 99% of the time it's the ammunition's fault, not the gun's. I've never heard of a .22 pistol that didn't jam occasionally, and considering the way .22 is manufactured leads me to believe it's normally the ammo's fault.

And are the horror stories you're talking about cracked frames and slides? I remember those stories, but I haven't heard one in a long time, so I think Walther got it figured out.

HK_dave

What you describe I believe is true of the SW99. However, as long as the part has the Eagle over N proof mark on it, it was made in Germany. My P99AS has the barrel, slide, and frame all stamped with this mark. My slide also has Smith and Wesson Springfield, MA on it, but all that means is that it was imported into the US and distributed by Smith and Wesson. I'm pretty sure the P22 is the same way: Eagle over N on slide, frame and barrel.
yours must be newer then. mine is all Eagle marked with an Interarms stamp.
p99.1.jpg
p99.2.jpg