• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Candidate Surveys

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I got this in the VA-ALERT today from Jim Snyder. I figured I would post it here since we are a month away from the election. Everyone can post who they have contacted to encourage them to take the survey. I contacted Dave Albo, George Barker, and Jack Dobbyn.

"The General Election is less than 4 weeks away -- Tuesday, November 8, 2011.

Many of the candidates have answered the VCDL 2011 Candidate Survey, but even more have not.

Survey questions can be found at: http://www.vcdl.org/surveys/survey_2011.html

What really amazes me are the candidates, especially those in contested races, who either ignore the Survey or send a letter or email with excuses why they aren't going to answer the Survey. If candidates who oppose our gun rights can answer the Survey, then why can't those who claim to be pro-gun also answer it? They obviously want to hide their real position on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

For candidate contact info and to see who has answered the Survey, go to: http://tinyurl.com/3cwpxa5 Early next week I will be adding a column containing a qualitative assessment of how good the candidates' Survey responses were (from "very pro gun" to "very anti gun"). Then, a few days before the Election, I will publish the candidates' answers to the Survey.

Please contact the candidates in YOUR district who have not answered the VCDL 2011 Candidate Survey and politely, but firmly insist that they complete the VCDL survey and send it in immediately. If they have misplaced their survey, have them contact me at vp@vcdl.org and I'll email them another copy.

Not sure what District you're in? Your district may have changed due to redistricting. (Mine did!) You can find out at: http://tinyurl.com/bksx4 (Only your address info is required on this form.) Your old districts (House & Senate) and the *new* ones resulting from redistricting will also be displayed.

If any of the candidates are afraid to take a public stand on these issues now, BEFORE the election, then they are unlikely to be very responsive to your views AFTER the election.

Failure to return a completed survey frequently indicates indifference, if not outright hostility, toward the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Thanks for your help!"

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The reason they don't answer is that there are very few really pro gun legislators. Most are fence sitters who want to be what whoever is making noise, wants them to be.

That's one big problem with getting rid of Saslaws death star committee.
Most legislators secretly like it because they don't have to deal with taking a hard stance on guns.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Dave Albo's response to my email:

Hi Mike:

I answered no surveys this year. I got about 70 of them. I have a full time job, the Job of House of Delegates (with only one assistant), the campaign, and Fatherhood. Just can't do it all. And since I have 50,000 votes over the past 18 years, there are plenty of opportunities for people to evaluate my record on the 2nd Amendment.

Sorry I could not fill out your groups survey, but just can't do it all.

Thanks for writing

Dave

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Jack Dobbyn's response to my email:
(I responded by asking him if this meant he was going to fill out the survey)

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting my campaign. As your Delegate, I pledge to be responsive to your concerns, and enjoy hearing from citizens just like you.

As the owner of a Kimber .308 and a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum, I can assure you that I will defend your Second Amendment rights. As a hunter, I fully support responsible gun ownership, and will staunchly defend the rights of our Commonwealth's sportsmen. We can work to balance our Second Amendment rights with safety needs through commonsense solutions.

Thank you very much for contacting me. I encourage you to visit me online at JackDobbyn.com, and follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

Warmest regards,

Jack Dobbyn

Last edited: