• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NYC LEO admits 'flaking' suspects

AZkopper

D@mn, I hate when these things turn out to be true. It gives all law enforcement officers a horrible name. I really don't blame people when they don't trust my profession anymore. It's even worse when its not just 'bad apples', or even the eye-blackening 'bad squad'. Here we have an institutionalized criminal syndicate posing as a city police department.

I firmly believe gov't in all forms needs to be reigned in. Legislatures need to stop passing countless laws criminalizing every single unliked behavior. Law Enforcment needs to rethink the whole "we need numbers to justify our existance" mindset. Also, Citizens need to take responsibilty for their safety, actions, and their communities, and stop wanting gov't to 'pass a law against that' or for 'the cops to do something'.

smokeyburnout

d@mn, i hate when these things turn out to be true. It gives all law enforcement officers a horrible name. I really don't blame people when they don't trust my profession anymore. It's even worse when its not just 'bad apples', or even the eye-blackening 'bad squad'. Here we have an institutionalized criminal syndicate posing as a city police department.

I firmly believe gov't in all forms needs to be reigned in. Legislatures need to stop passing countless laws criminalizing every single unliked behavior. Law enforcment needs to rethink the whole "we need numbers to justify our existance" mindset. Also, citizens need to take responsibilty for their safety, actions, and their communities, and stop wanting gov't to 'pass a law against that' or for 'the cops to do something'.

amen brother!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This is the same department that just in the last couple years it came out some cops would trick young men into showing their weed in public. Possession of small amounts is not a crime in NYC, but exhibiting it in public is. So, the entrapment would go something like:

Officer: "Alright, who's got weed? Show it to me. If I have to search you and find it, I'm gonna bust you."

When the sheepish person pulled it out of his pocket to show the cop, the cop would cite or arrest him for having it visible in public.

The department denied it for some time, but finally a Lt. spoke to the press and blew the smokescreen off the story.

Then, around the same time period, perhaps continuing today, was a scandal about thousands of illegal detentions.

NYPD has over 30K officers. Yes, that is not a typo. Over 30,000 cops.

sudden valley gunner

D@mn, I hate when these things turn out to be true. It gives all law enforcement officers a horrible name. I really don't blame people when they don't trust my profession anymore. It's even worse when its not just 'bad apples', or even the eye-blackening 'bad squad'. Here we have an institutionalized criminal syndicate posing as a city police department.

I firmly believe gov't in all forms needs to be reigned in. Legislatures need to stop passing countless laws criminalizing every single unliked behavior. Law Enforcment needs to rethink the whole "we need numbers to justify our existance" mindset. Also, Citizens need to take responsibilty for their safety, actions, and their communities, and stop wanting gov't to 'pass a law against that' or for 'the cops to do something'.

Yay! Another cop who gets it.

Like I posted in another thread there is no bad apple's anymore. And often when I talk about the very things you mentioned in your post I am painted as "Anti LEO". So many just don't get it. Thank you for your input AZKopper. If ever in WA I'll buy you a beer or coffee, whatever your poison is.

AZkopper

SVG, while in this case (and too many cases) it is the cops; in the big picture, it's not just cops. Its the entire gov't mindset (of both the governing and the governed). It is a societal problem. Cops usually face the brunt of it because we are the visible face (the enforcers) of what both the govern'd and governing want (en mass, not individually). Cops have become the little men in blue suits who are charged with holding a crumbling society together, and that cannot work.

Badger Johnson

I agree it's not the rank and file cops, though they are the ones 'caught'. It's failure to enable from above, low pay, corruption all around them. BUT, they need to say NO! And the 'good cops', the 95% need to say NO, NOT ON MY WATCH. Until the 'good cops' stop going along with it, things won't improve.

Oramac

Is anyone else having flashbacks to the movie "American Gangster"? This reminds me of it too much.

I can definitely say, sadly, that I will be more careful in what I allow from officers talking to me from now on.

Badger Johnson

I'm not sure but I think it might be a mistake to consider this an isolated incident. That's why we need video and audio surveillance of all stops, though as was seen, video can 'disappear'. Why they don't realize that 'missing footage' just makes them look more guilty of malfeasance and cover up, I don't know. I do know that in a lot of cases, LEOs don't seem to care they're being video'ed. Even the cop who body checked the biker felt he was justified causing harm. They don't act this way without tacit approval from the top, though.

Be careful out there, run your recorders, guys!

$.02

frommycolddeadhands

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...cated_drug_raps_for_quotas.html#ixzz1affkS1qA

A former NYPD narcotics detective snared in a corruption scandal testified it was common practice to fabricate drug charges against innocent people to meet arrest quotas.

-----
Common practice. Now, ask why you should NEVER agree to let your vehicle/home/person be searched.

What a mess. I hope all of the innocent victims band together and file civil suits, targeting both the city and the individuals responsible. And the cops who were a part of this better do some serious jail time.

sudden valley gunner

SVG, while in this case (and too many cases) it is the cops; in the big picture, it's not just cops. Its the entire gov't mindset (of both the governing and the governed). It is a societal problem. Cops usually face the brunt of it because we are the visible face (the enforcers) of what both the govern'd and governing want (en mass, not individually). Cops have become the little men in blue suits who are charged with holding a crumbling society together, and that cannot work.

I agree and what I have been saying for sometime. I often find that there are no checks and balances in the "justice" system. Try to find a prosecutor who will prosecute bad cops? Testilying is a major problem, so is entrapment, but much of this is done in concert with the prosecutors and cops and judges.

Cities spend 40 to 60% of their budget on police "force". Forcing people to behave in a way they don't want to. Yet it is somehow political incorrect and you get hammered by demagogues for dare speaking out on how the system is broken and isn't working.

I have personally witnessed police close rank to protect another officer, when that officer was being called out for violating natural rights. Damn I was arrested and handcuffed for trying to file a complaint and refused the ability to do so and threatened with jail if I went to city hall. From the street cop Elmendore to the deputy chief Flo Simon. Several cops surrounding me because I wanted to file a complaint.

MKEgal

SVG said:
I was arrested and handcuffed for trying to file a complaint and refused the ability to do so and threatened with jail if I went to city hall. From the street cop Elmendore to the deputy chief Flo Simon. Several cops surrounding me because I wanted to file a complaint.
:shocker: :cuss:
Please tell me you got the press &/or a lawyer involved in that.

smokeyburnout

I thought it was illegal for LEO's to have quotas for arrests and tickets?
IMO, I think that a large part of the problem here are the superior officers who don't teach the rookies proper and lawful policing. There is no reason to fabricate criminals as there are plenty real ones out there. It is things like the above mentioned that make the citizens fear police rather than respect them. It is a sad day when you have to hope and pray that citizens are video and audio recording any and all encounters with police they may have because it may be the only thing that keeps them from jail. While I will never say that all cops are bad or do unlawful things as that is grossly false, all it takes is 1 to violate someone or do something shady and that will forever leave a bad taste for police in the public.

I still can not for the life of me comprehend why there isn't a an outside and nonaffiliated group who handles complaints against officers. By having them handled internally the chance for exploitation is just too great. I would love to see states impliment something like the Connecticut BFPE (Board of Firearm Permit Examiners) where the Board is comprised of seven members appointed by the Governor to serve during their term and until their successors are appointed and qualify. The members are appointed from nominees of the Commissioner of Public Safety, Connecticut Police Chiefs Association, the Commissioner of Environmental Protection, The Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association, Inc. and Ye Connecticut Gun Guild, Inc. Two members of the public are appointed with at least one member of the Board shall be a lawyer licensed to practice in Connecticut, who shall act as Chairman of the Board during the hearing of appeals. Something like this to investigate complaints would be great and would work to benefit the public as well as officers. The public would feel a proper invistigation was performed and the officers would not be accused of closing rank.

Verd

Campaign Veteran

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
d@mn, i hate when these things turn out to be true. It gives all law enforcement officers a horrible name. I really don't blame people when they don't trust my profession anymore. It's even worse when its not just 'bad apples', or even the eye-blackening 'bad squad'. Here we have an institutionalized criminal syndicate posing as a city police department.

I firmly believe gov't in all forms needs to be reigned in. Legislatures need to stop passing countless laws criminalizing every single unliked behavior. Law enforcment needs to rethink the whole "we need numbers to justify our existance" mindset. Also, citizens need to take responsibilty for their safety, actions, and their communities, and stop wanting gov't to 'pass a law against that' or for 'the cops to do something'.

applause !!!!!!!!! Loud applause !!!!!!!