Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Wikipedia - the open carry photo

From Wikipedia - the open carry photo

the "representative" photo of open carry has changed at Wikipedia

Open Carry of a 9mm Browning Hi Power in Eagle, Colorado

IMHO It is not a better photo, but the Author "DrunkDriver" [sic] gets to choose it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger View Post
    IMHO It is not a better photo, but the Author "DrunkDriver" [sic] gets to choose it seems.
    It's Wikipedia. Anyone who wants to choose a different photo is free to do so.

The only restriction is that you have to own the rights to the photo, or it has to be in the public domain, or it has to be licensed under Creative Commons for free public use.

I'm sure someone from here can find a better picture than the posted one. I will admit that it seems better than the previous picture as it shows the person in an actual public setting, but the hat comes across as trying to depict the movement as cowboys imo. Also the person who posted it doesn't have a aiki account which makes me further question the picture.

I cringe when I see piece of crap one size fits all nylon holsters
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

I don't see the issue. The photo isn't negative, it demonstrates open carry. What would you guys prefer? A PR photo? Maybe it's not the best photo, but it's not a bad photo either.

If someone decides they want to point at the Wiki page and declare it proof that only cowboys carry, then retort with photos of people wearing suits and casual clothing carrying.

I think this site's front page needs some updating, the gallery needs to be deleted(NOT the photos, just the CODE) and redone. The code they use now is crap. There are a lot of freeware galleries out there that they could use and it definitely needs more photos. The gallery has been a peeve of mine for a long, long time. Why not appoint someone in charge of it and have the members send in photos to be placed in the gallery? The reason I suggest having someone in charge, rather then a simple upload system is to prevent antis and trolls from uploading inappropriate photos.

The other annoyance I have is that the press center hasn't been updated since 08, makes it feel as if the group is dead in the water or something.

Its much better than the picture of the guy in a black knit cap, flannel shirt, creeping outside in a Wal-Mart parking lot at night.

Not kidding, thats what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    I had the same thought. Put out the money and get leather or kydex. Overall the picture is not a bad one though.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I don't see the issue. The photo isn't negative, it demonstrates open carry. What would you guys prefer? A PR photo? Maybe it's not the best photo, but it's not a bad photo either.

If someone decides they want to point at the Wiki page and declare it proof that only cowboys carry, then retort with photos of people wearing suits and casual clothing carrying.

I think this site's front page needs some updating, the gallery needs to be deleted(NOT the photos, just the CODE) and redone. The code they use now is crap. There are a lot of freeware galleries out there that they could use and it definitely needs more photos. The gallery has been a peeve of mine for a long, long time. Why not appoint someone in charge of it and have the members send in photos to be placed in the gallery? The reason I suggest having someone in charge, rather then a simple upload system is to prevent antis and trolls from uploading inappropriate photos.

The other annoyance I have is that the press center hasn't been updated since 08, makes it feel as if the group is dead in the water or something.
    Honestly I would prefer a woman. Who could argue with that?
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    Honestly I would prefer a woman. Who could argue with that?
    The woman on the front of OCDO, while being kind of cute, also looks fairly aggressive.

Posted using my HTC Evo

The woman on the front of OCDO, while being kind of cute, also looks fairly aggressive.
    If by "aggressive" you mean confident, sure of herself, and holding herself in a manner that says, "I value my life," then yes.
    As Steve Lee says, "I like guns," and have no plans to get rid of them. My kids will be taught, as I was, about gun safety.

Life is good.

Posted using my HTC Evo
    Don't confuse aggressive with confidence, which is also sexy!
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

I don't know... it is a picture of a guy doing something very normal. So in that regard, it is a good photo.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    I use one of those types of holsters, a paddle type that is nylon, but thats because finding a holster that will fit a Ruger p95 is a pain in the ass.

The guy's not quite wearing a wife-beater (white tank top), but it's close.

Got a better photo? Replace it!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    The guy's not quite wearing a wife-beater (white tank top), but it's close.

Got a better photo? Replace it!
    How is that close to a wife-beater? It has long sleeves! He is wearing long johns.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-21-2011 at 11:00 AM.

I dunno who these guys are or where this was at, but I found it while googling for OC pics. I think it's pretty good, the one guy has a serpa level 2, they are young guys, they are thin, and they are geeky looking with 1 being a muscle geek LOL. This counters the stereotype of middle aged fat men LOL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ocbbq.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	7186  

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    I dunno who these guys are or where this was at, but I found it while googling for OC pics. I think it's pretty good, the one guy has a serpa level 2, they are young guys, they are thin, and they are geeky looking with 1 being a muscle geek LOL. This counters the stereotype of middle aged fat men LOL.
    Thats a great picture... now to find the owner and see if they will open it up to the CC for use on wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    I did a google pic search and found this. Certainly not a middle aged fat man here!
    http://doctorbulldog.wordpress.com/2...ut-gun-rights/

Surely poking fun at the movie "Open Water"

Quote Originally Posted by l_____l View Post
    I did a google pic search and found this. Certainly not a middle aged fat man here!
    http://doctorbulldog.wordpress.com/2...ut-gun-rights/

Surely poking fun at the movie "Open Water"
    I nominate this as the winner!!

I.... uhhh, I mean, WE need more pictures of women open carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    I.... uhhh, I mean, WE need more pictures of women open carrying.
    OK, here is certainly "Open Carry", utilizing an "inside the".....the....hmm. What level of firearm retention is that?
    http://www.resistnwo.com/Glock_Open_Carry.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by l_____l View Post
    OK, here is certainly "Open Carry", utilizing an "inside the".....the....hmm. What level of firearm retention is that?
    http://www.resistnwo.com/Glock_Open_Carry.JPG
    Thongalier, Level 1 retention.

Has anyone changed the photo, yet? Was it changed back?

Post a good photo and properly convey the public domain rights (see Wikipedia for the form), and I'll throw it up there myself. I think it'd be better if we could throw up two OC photos, one of a man, one of a woman, both in normal, everyday public situations.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    How is that close to a wife-beater?
    It's white thermal underwear being worn as a shirt.

It has long sleeves! He is wearing long johns.
    Fine. It's a long-sleeved wife-beater.

Fine. It's a long-sleeved wife-beater.
    That would be like a semi-automatic machine gun, right?

I think it'd be better if we could throw up two OC photos, one of a man, one of a woman, both in normal, everyday public situations.
    Why don't we just get a whole photo shoot? You know, photos of men, photos of women, photos of black people and hispanics, photos of indians, photos of Muslims.... oh wait scratch that, all Muslims are terrorists I forgot.

The point is, while it might not be the best photo ever, it's not a bad photo either. If you want a new photo, then by all means change it. But what is being done here is attempting to put a political spin on something that should be politically neutral. It's no better than the antis putting up photos meant to disparage the OC movement.

I have no problem with publicity shoots, just keep them where they belong. Wikipedia is definitely not where they belong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast