• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC actually does work!

Smith45acp

Good story and I believe his theory about their intentions is sound.

Although I've never had any doubt about OC and its effectiveness in 99% + of any possible situations!

I have kind of wondered how the recent IHOP shooting would have gone down if that BG had noticed a customer OC'ing before he got kicked out. Would someone so emotionally askew to return after being kicked out by two deputies and shoot up the place have changed his mind about the whole thing if he noticed an armed citizen? Or would he have shot them first? Clearly this guy falls into a category that is far from the mindset of a typical criminal...

ArmySoldier22

Good story and I believe his theory about their intentions is sound.

Although I've never had any doubt about OC and its effectiveness in 99% + of any possible situations!

I have kind of wondered how the recent IHOP shooting would have gone down if that BG had noticed a customer OC'ing before he got kicked out. Would someone so emotionally askew to return after being kicked out by two deputies and shoot up the place have changed his mind about the whole thing if he noticed an armed citizen? Or would he have shot them first? Clearly this guy falls into a category that is far from the mindset of a typical criminal...

I agree, people like this are definitely far from the average criminal mindset. A lot of criminals never actually have any intention to use the weapons they carry. Which is a big reason why you see so many videos where a clerk gets the gun away from the BG with the gun pointed right at them. And while situations where somebody just goes into a place with the intent to shoot it up is rare "rare compared to how often normal crimes occur" they do happen. An argument I hear from a lot of anti's when you say you carry for personal protection as well as the protection of those around you is "What are the chances you'd ever actually be in that situation? It almost never happens" And they're right, maybe one or two people that ever read this post will ever even be in a situation like that, probably less. But the fact is, I personally feel safer knowing that IF that 1 in a million chance does occur and I do happen to be in that situation, then atleast I'll know I was as protected as I could be and did everything I could to prevent it. I don't remember who it was, but I read a post by someone who said that carrying is like insurance. You'll may never need it, but you're f*cked if you don't have it when you do need it.

Last edited:

ArmySoldier22

Oh of course lol, I never meant that anybody should react otherwise. If somebody's pointing a gun at me, I don't care if they ever intend to use it or not. Just the fact that the gun's pointed at me is going to make me feel like my life is in imminent danger and I'm going to react accordingly lol. I was only using that information to compare the mindset of the average criminal against the complete psycho's who's full intent is to kill everyone in sight.

ArmySoldier22

Wow I actually thought the exact opposite. hmmm... This is a interesting topic.

Gas stations get hit more than anywhere. Sometimes they don't even bother to report it on the news anymore. A friend of mine used to work at a gas station, and as soon as they told him they were putting him on the graveyard shift, he quit. Sometimes I'll go get something from the gas station down the street if it saves me a trip to walmart or the grocery store at night, but I never go without my friend on my hip. One of the ladies there told me "after she got over her initial shock of somebody carrying the first time I went in there" that she feels safer whenever I show up and would pay me to stay all night if she could lol.

David

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Wow I actually thought the exact opposite. hmmm... This is a interesting topic.

You thought the exact opposite? Meaning that you think gas stations are terrible places to carry a gun?

I'm not sure you understand how carrying a gun for personal protection is supposed to work. You carry it everywhere you can - especially in those places that you must travel to that might be more crime prone (like gas stations).

Are you sure you are on the right forum?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Smith45acp

I think he was referring to mode of carry at gas stations, not carry in general.

And his comment was pretty benign compared to the tone I'm picking up from these responses.

He sounds like he's open to considering alternative views, so why don't you actually share why you believe differently if you're going to take the time to respond anyway?

ImJustMylan

Time to respond to the three stooges who cant respect the opinions of 1 fellow OC'er... Below are the sarcastic & mis-quoted responses to my post.

You thought the exact opposite? Meaning that you think gas stations are terrible places to carry a gun?

I'm not sure you understand how carrying a gun for personal protection is supposed to work. You carry it everywhere you can - especially in those places that you must travel to that might be more crime prone (like gas stations).

Are you sure you are on the right forum?

That's sarcasm for the "You'll be shot first if a bad guy see's you open carrying" mentality? Right?

Really?

I'm curious, what places are ones that you would expect anyone and everyone needing to carry since you think no one should ever need or want to carry at a gas station?

Wow.. im just now.. finally getting back to this topic... I love how everyone honed in on my point of view. My response was basic with no details as to why i thought this... :lol: The mear fact that many people jumped to the conclusion that I dont believe in OC'ing in a Gas Station is crazy... I believe you should OC when you want to & not NECESSARLY ALL OF THE TIME. In ... MY <---- KEYWORD-----> MY.... opinion in the area that I live in which happens to be a major city. OC'ing in a Gas Station makes me feel more uncomfortable that I am putting customers & employees on edge not knowing my intentions.

Its different if you have built a rapport with the employees/locals in that particular station. At that point they know you, they've seen you more times then they can count. Some times its on a first name basis.

The point of OC'ing is not to be a hero for getting into a gun fight with a robber. Its for PERSONAL PROTECTION. You're not a LEO. You are a plain john doe/jane doe with a gun attached to the side of you for PERSONAL <-------KEYWORD-------> PERSONAL protection. If you are not a LEO chances are your are NOT trained to deal with a situation of a robbery.

Scenario: You OC into your local gas station. Go to the back to grab a beer. A masked man comes in, and walks directly to the cashier. You hear him scream " Give me all the money in the register and im going to leave with no problems" You have your fully loaded weapon on your side and it seems as though the man has not seen that you were the only person in the store. You havent seen him brandish a weapon. What would you do?

What if he has a handgun?
What if he has a knife?
What if his buddys were right outside of the door would you make a move?
What if it was a 10 year old kid?
What if it was a 84 year old woman?
Who's at fault if you shoot him and his gun go off and kills the cashier?
Who's at fault if you miss the perp and hit the cashier?
Are you willing to die instead of the cashier?

If you arent able to answer all of those questions in SHOOT vs Dont Shoot.. dont worry YOU ARE ONLY HUMAN....
Now same scenario..... answer these questions.

What if he was walking towards you with the gun?
What if he told you he wasnt going to leave any witnesses?
What if he shot the cashier in the head and turned to see you?
What if his friends saw you and came in with a shotgun?
What if he began to shoot up the place at random?
What if he said "You shouldnt have fired me, Now you bout to die b**ch" to the cashier?

If you easly answered all of those questions easily... HERE IS WHY. YOU OR THE CASHIERS LIFE IS ABOUT TO BE TAKEN IF YOU DONT ACT IMMEDIATLY WITH LETHAL FORCE.

Nobody will ever be fully prepared if an incident does happen. A robber wants money and goods. if they are ruthless they dont want to leave witnesses.
Again, You are not a LEO nor a judge or jury. Cashiers don't know your intention if you are an unfamiliar with no type of LEO uniform or identify badge.

You weren't born with a gun and you have been without your gun for longer periods of time then a mere quick stop inside of a gas station.

So my layman's sarcastic response is as follows. I think you should OC where you want and are not required to OC in a gas station if you dont want to...

ARE YOU A LEO WANNA-BE? Do You wear a cape and respond to spotlights with the gas station logo?

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I do agree that there are certain places where OC might not be the best option. I respect your opinion, but I fail to see the difference between a gas station and a Walgreens or even WalMart. I guess gas stations do get robbed more than other places... but a cashier at WalMart is just as likely to be afraid of an OCer as a gas station clerk. If I am afraid of clerks becoming afraid of me OCing, I doubt I would carry in any retail establishment.

ImJustMylan

I do agree that there are certain places where OC might not be the best option. I respect your opinion, but I fail to see the difference between a gas station and a Walgreens or even WalMart. I guess gas stations do get robbed more than other places... but a cashier at WalMart is just as likely to be afraid of an OCer as a gas station clerk. If I am afraid of clerks becoming afraid of me OCing, I doubt I would carry in any retail establishment.

The difference between other retail store clerks such as Walmart vs. Gas Station clerk

a Walmart clerk sold me the bullets I have loaded now
a gas station clerk.............. probably never wants to see a gun during their shift that doesnt belong to a uniformed LEO

Ruger

Whatever....

I wasn't criticizing the decision to not OC. I was questioning the decision to simply not carry into such an establishment. There are places and circumstances in which CC may be preferred. I probably CC 60% of the time & OC 40%. I can understand choosing to cover up, but I wouldn't just decide to disarm myself before entering a gas station. Just sayin'...

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I respect you choice even though it doesn't make sense... You do whatever the hell you feel like as long as it isn't causing me problems.

You can stuff the gun up your butt if you want. How fast can you draw from 'deep' concealment now? :p To me, having your head up your ass is about the same as having your gun up there... That is a reference to most of the thread, not directed at anyone in particular...

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Wow.. im just now.. finally getting back to this topic... I love how everyone honed in on my point of view. My response was basic with no details as to why i thought this... :lol: The mear fact that many people jumped to the conclusion that I dont believe in OC'ing in a Gas Station is crazy... I believe you should OC when you want to & not NECESSARLY ALL OF THE TIME. In ... MY <---- KEYWORD-----> MY.... opinion in the area that I live in which happens to be a major city. OC'ing in a Gas Station makes me feel more uncomfortable that I am putting customers & employees on edge not knowing my intentions.
I'm curious to know why you don't OC whenever and wherever you can. But then again, I cannot CC since I do not have a CCL and have no plans on wasting my money on such a thing. I OC every single place that I can simply because there is always a chance that I may need it. And when you need it, you will need it right then, not after you are able to make a mad dash for your car or your home to get your gun. Thats why I took offense at your words, because to me, you seem like you don't see a need to protect yourself all of the time but only when you want to. Which is an odd concept for me to wrap my head around.
Its different if you have built a rapport with the employees/locals in that particular station. At that point they know you, they've seen you more times then they can count. Some times its on a first name basis.
Ahh, so you only OC in places where the people inside know you and know that you OC? But then, wouldn't it be even stranger to all of a sudden, one day, have a gun on your side after all the previous times that you didn't? Wouldn't that make them take even more notice of you since it is such an oddity to your normal behavior? To me, that would be a red flag, while someone who starts off as a stranger who OCies is actually less of a red flag.
The point of OC'ing is not to be a hero for getting into a gun fight with a robber. Its for PERSONAL PROTECTION. You're not a LEO. You are a plain john doe/jane doe with a gun attached to the side of you for PERSONAL <-------KEYWORD-------> PERSONAL protection. If you are not a LEO chances are your are NOT trained to deal with a situation of a robbery.
I'm confused where anyone said that they were wondering why you don't OC at a gas station because you might need to be the Lone Ranger or some such. It seems to me that everyone was wondering why you stopped protecting yourself at gas stations when gas stations are some of the highest hit places in regards to robberies, especially armed robberies.
Scenario: You OC into your local gas station. Go to the back to grab a beer. A masked man comes in, and walks directly to the cashier. You hear him scream " Give me all the money in the register and im going to leave with no problems" You have your fully loaded weapon on your side and it seems as though the man has not seen that you were the only person in the store. You havent seen him brandish a weapon. What would you do?
Well, to be honest, there are only two options that you CAN do, legally. You can hide amongst the shelves and do nothing, since you cannot fire at him since there is no danger to your life. Or you can attempt a citizen's arrest since there is a felony happening in your plain view. I, personally, would try to take a picture of the guy covertly as well as his car plates so that the cops can find him easier since I do not want to put myself into a position where I can get shot.
What if he has a handgun?
Same as above. Only if he is waving his gun around, pointing the gun in my direction will I draw and shoot. But according to your scenario, he is just wanting to get the cash and leave, not wanting to hurt anyone, so see my answer from above.
What if he has a knife?
If the scenario is exactly the same except for this, same answer as above.
What if his buddys were right outside of the door would you make a move?
If the scenario is exactly the same except for this, same answer as above
What if it was a 10 year old kid?
What if it was a 84 year old woman?
Who's at fault if you shoot him and his gun go off and kills the cashier?
You mean I shot him in the back??? Why the hell would anyone do this??? You would be responsible for the cashier's death and you would be guilty of murder!
Who's at fault if you miss the perp and hit the cashier?
Again, I am shooting at the BG in the back!?! It would clearly be non-criminal homocide at the very least.
Are you willing to die instead of the cashier?
In your scenario, the BG doesn't even know I am there, has no gun or weapon, and states he wants to leave safely and quietly. The business is insured against robberies like this. I'm not going to offer my life for such a crime.
If you arent able to answer all of those questions in SHOOT vs Dont Shoot.. dont worry YOU ARE ONLY HUMAN....
Since I could answer all those questions, does that make me MORE THAN HUMAN? Because if so, I'd love to have a superpower!
Now same scenario..... answer these questions.

What if he was walking towards you with the gun?
If he is walking towards me, I will draw my gun, and fire since it is clear that my life is in danger.
What if he told you he wasnt going to leave any witnesses?
Draw and shoot to kill.
What if he shot the cashier in the head and turned to see you?
Bang! That's all the BG wrote.
What if his friends saw you and came in with a shotgun?
I'd shoot them both.
What if he began to shoot up the place at random?
I'd take him out ASAP.
What if he said "You shouldnt have fired me, Now you bout to die b**ch" to the cashier?
In this case, I would draw my gun, shout out "FREEZE! CITIZEN"S ARREST!" I would NOT shoot him unless he turned towards me with his gun or if he fired at the cashier. I would attempt to talk him down, get him to drop his gun, and use zip ties to bind his hands together until the cops arrived as is my right when dealing with a felony happening infront of you. As long as I do not transport him anywhere and just detain him.
If you easly answered all of those questions easily... HERE IS WHY. YOU OR THE CASHIERS LIFE IS ABOUT TO BE TAKEN IF YOU DONT ACT IMMEDIATLY WITH LETHAL FORCE.
Agreed.
Nobody will ever be fully prepared if an incident does happen. A robber wants money and goods. if they are ruthless they dont want to leave witnesses.
Again, You are not a LEO nor a judge or jury. Cashiers don't know your intention if you are an unfamiliar with no type of LEO uniform or identify badge.

You weren't born with a gun and you have been without your gun for longer periods of time then a mere quick stop inside of a gas station.
So... you give two examples of gas station robberies. One is a peaceful one and the other is a violent one. You then note that a robber wants money and goods, while a ruthless one doesn't want to leave witnesses. And then, after acknowledging that there are two types of robbers (peaceful and ruthless), you seem to come to the crazy conclusion that you don't need to bring your gun into a gas station with you! If you know that some robbers are going to be ruthless, why the hell are you going to leave your gun in the car in the hopes that if the gas station is robbed while you are in there the robber is the peaceful type?!?

Ruger

Verd, actually, in NC there is no provision for citizen's arrests. Also, according to state law here, you are legally allowed to use your weapon to defend the life of another if that person being defended would have been legally allowed to draw their own weapon if they had one. So, for the sake of example, if the BG is brandishing a firearm or a bladed weapon in an attempt to rob another individual or, in this case, a gas station attendant, in NC you can legally draw your own weapon to defend the other person if you so choose.